Leather boots care and maintenance

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
anemic

Re: Leather boots care and maintenance

Post by anemic » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:10 am

Checking back in with this useful thread, Nikwax is actually a non-beeswax leather care product. I'm going to secure a tube of it for my incoming leather boots. I used Biwell (beeswax) on the current boots which were already softened beyond my preferences, because I had Biwell on hand at the time.
Call it Nordic Freeride

Petrov

Post by Petrov » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:24 am

I generally wear unlined leather boots 2-3 seasons out of the year. I use obenaufs heavy duty LP (the paste not the oil).
There is some stuff that seals the boots and prevents water from getting in or OUT. That kind of treatment at least in my experience tends to destroy the boots pretty fast.
I work at a scrap yard so I am exposed to all sorts of nasty crap. Best thing you can do is clean them and keep them dry and dry them out/rotate them when they get soaked.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:49 pm

anemic wrote:Checking back in with this useful thread, Nikwax is actually a non-beeswax leather care product. I'm going to secure a tube of it for my incoming leather boots. I used Biwell (beeswax) on the current boots which were already softened beyond my preferences, because I had Biwell on hand at the time.
Yes- that is my understanding as well. Strange that it is called "Nikwax" when it is not wax based... :?:
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:40 pm

I've always used Snow Seal wax on all my leather. I hiked for hours in slushy snow the other day wearing leather boots without a membrane. Even though I had heated the leather and thoroughly spaced the boots with SS the leather got soaked through. Just ordered some Hydro Bloc.
Would it be possible to treat the boots that had been waxed with HB now?