What off-season ski deals are you looking for?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

What off-season ski deals are you looking for?

Post by MikeK » Mon May 11, 2015 2:17 pm

I'm after another pair of 195cm Madshus Waxless Eon. If anyone sees any for a good deal they don't want themselves, give me a shout. Thanks!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: What off-season ski deals are you looking for?

Post by lilcliffy » Fri May 15, 2015 5:20 am

Hey Mike,

Not aware of any waxless Eons left. I was holding out for a deal on a 205cm waxable Eon and/or E109- all gone!

There are a few E109 waxless out there: OMC Gear, Backcountry.com...$230 seems like a lot- but I have never seen that ski get below that price :x. Amazon has the E109 on for $237- the product description gives the impression that it comes with NNNBC magnum bindings? If so- that is a wicked deal...kinda doubt that is right.

I ended up buying two pairs of the Asnes Combat skis from Coleman's ($30USD for 2 pair)- haven't had a chance to mount bindings on them and test them. Kind of blown away by them...beautiful construction and very light. There seems to be some confusion on the net, regarding Combat skis...my first impression is that the "heavy" surplus skis people are talking about are the Karhus on Ebay (would love to try those too! :ugeek: )

I'm about to jump on a pair of classic waxable touring skis on clearance- light, stiff, double-cambered, and fast- ideal for weekday 45 minute cruises- when I have to be in town during the day. Decided to go with the rugged end of the track-friendly spectrum- as opposed to the light end of the backcountry spectrum- better value and performance for what I am really going to use them for. Haven't decided which binding to put on them...

My next purchase may not be a pure ski at all...drooling over the Altai Hok- for forestry field work. Been using snowshoes in the dense bush for over 30 years...the Hok looks too good to be true...

Also want to try out the Kom...hoping to test it in QC next winter.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri May 15, 2015 1:33 pm

The Hok looks like a lot of fun... I was almost convinced to buy a pair myself for winter mountaineering in lieu of snowshoes i.e. climbing and descending steep, narrow hiking trails to summits which would be very challenging with skis. Those would probably be wicked fun for that!

Well I'm kind of convinced it needs to be a waxless Eon. It's for my wife, and I plan to put pins on it because she doesn't ski NNN. I may try to use them as well for skiing groomed terrain dh... not sure yet though. They def have the right weight and amount of camber for that, but I'm not crazy about how underdamped they are. Still debating on whether I should try to get an older pair of light Tele skis in that width range for groomed stuff. I really need to practice and next year will probably not be as friendly as this one was for natural snow.

STG

Post by STG » Fri May 15, 2015 2:51 pm

Mike,

Have you considered the waxable Eon? I had a pair of the XCD Karhu waxless and now I have the Madshu Eon waxable. I think the waxable performs better. It climbs well with a small amount of blue wax and has less resistance going downhill. Gearx.com and Akers-ski.com have waxable models.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri May 15, 2015 3:11 pm

STG - I want BOTH. The Eon is such a versatile ski I'd like to have a wax and waxless version to use depending on conditions. But seen as how I have a waxless, I'd like to get one for the wife first, then get a pair of wax skis.

STG

Post by STG » Sat May 16, 2015 10:37 am

The Eon is a great ski. I know how some people love to bash traditional, straight skis but those characteristics are what make the Eon a efficient backcounty ski. It tracks well, turns with patience and climbs with little effort. I am thinking about purchasing another pair.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat May 16, 2015 11:24 am

I probably have more miles and turns on older waxable karhu xcd-gt than any other ski. For some reason the older straighter and skinnier versions ski way better (up and down )than the later model no wax version that I got right before karhu stopped making them.

If I were looking for a ski for groomers I'd look for a used downhill ski in the dementions I like at a second hand store or craigslist. They would be a lot cheaper and ski better.

STG

Post by STG » Sat May 16, 2015 1:10 pm

lowangle al,

I agree that getting skis at a second hand store would be a good option. I think having a waxable ski is crucial. I have the Karhu Guide and the Madshus Epoch. They are both waxless and I find the fish scales provide more friction than I want. The waxable Eon I have, glides really well even with a little kicker wax. I have looked in second hand sport stores for older straight skis with single camber or camber and a half. I have not had any luck finding any skis. Most of the skis are fat and super shaped. I wish I had never gotten rid of my Tuas, Black Diamond skis from the 90's. I only ski powder/soft snow in the backcountry--mostly in the Northwestern corner of YNP. Since the Eon is slightly soft in the tip, I have found that it does ok for me in the powder and soft slab.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon May 18, 2015 8:39 am

I tried a pair of Altai Hoks about 2 weeks ago. I have to say I was quite moved by the experience...

They are SO fun... But yeah, it was quite disturbing for me... I skied the 125cm version. It made me question why the hell we are so into long skis... For me, the short skis trend in alpine and telemark is just bullshit. I still think you NEED skis at least the same as your height. Speed, power and stability cannot be achieved with short skis. So why would I care about 125cm Hoks?

I honestly don't know. I had in mind they we're just another version of the ski-snowshoe, like all the previous incarnations made by various companies in the last 20 years. No wonder they were all big flops, they were just toys for people who can't ski. But jeeez, I really, really had fun. (Does that mean that I can't ski? ; ) I didn't want to switch back to my Epochs after a run with the Hoks... I don't know what's cool or not anymore, thanks to Altai Skis!!!

Yep, I NEED a pair for next season...! (Anyone?)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon May 18, 2015 11:27 am

Although I think 125 cm skis are too short, I don't think giving up some speed, power, and stability for increased fun is a bad thing.