best ski for snowmachine trails, mixed classic/skate

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
John_XCD
Ski style: Powdery aspen glades
Favorite Skis: XC race skis, Finnmark, Breidablikk, S-98, Objective BC, FT62 (xplore model)
Favorite boots: Guard Adv NNNBC

best ski for snowmachine trails, mixed classic/skate

Post by John_XCD » Fri May 24, 2024 10:34 am

Looking for a new ski for fast adventures on packed snowmachine trails-- envisioning skating flat terrain and kicker skin for sustained climbs (or maybe wax if ideal condition). Would think mounting nnnbc with alfa skarvet and red flexor for prolonged skating.

Thinking about fischer transnordic 59 or asnes mtn race, and sizing them short-- maybe 190cm for 80kg. I don't think the benefits of a longer ski matter much (ie no kick wax skate the flats and then kicker skin for a climb).

I already have finnmark (edgeless gamme) sized properly at 210-- but I'm looking for narrower and shorter + edges to improve skating and descending chunky/icy mixed use trails. Want something beefier than a skate race ski.

I recall reading about some adventure races in Alaska where people tended to use short glitterinds or skate on skimo gear (not so interested in the latter).

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: best ski for snowmachine trails, mixed classic/skate

Post by fisheater » Fri May 24, 2024 4:42 pm

I have a Gamme in 210, and an Asnes MT 51 in 210 which I use for thin cover. The only thing the Gamme doesn’t do far better is fit in tracks
Don’t discount what full steel edges will do for tracking on a snowmobile track. I would also surmise a steel edged Gamme turns better than a ski without edges. I use that edge and the rocker to turn the Gamme frequently
The MT 51 does not turn well. The soft, edgeless tip of the MT is awesome for tracks, not for turns.
That’s my experience,YMMV

John_XCD
Ski style: Powdery aspen glades
Favorite Skis: XC race skis, Finnmark, Breidablikk, S-98, Objective BC, FT62 (xplore model)
Favorite boots: Guard Adv NNNBC

Post by John_XCD » Fri May 24, 2024 6:34 pm

Verdict on skating a shorter gamme? Short gamme for me would be a good long gamme for my wife... multipurpose tool.

This makes me think the category c camber (https://asnes-academy.com/en/choose-the ... y-bc-skis/) is most akin to a skate ski stiff single camber. I wonder about skating a shorter Amundsen -- these must be the stiffest BC skis on the market? I had not thought about expedition skis as skaters-- but maybe that makes sense.

For this purpose I don't care much about turns, nordic rocker, wax pocket drag (no grip wax while skating, steeper climbs will use x skin and glide matters less)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri May 24, 2024 7:07 pm

@John_XCD i was thinking about a shorter Gamme, but I think you are probably spot on with the Amundsen. Why don’t you post your height and weight? Hopefully @lilcliffy will respond. He has experience with the Amundsen, he has a family of Nordic skiers and may have experience with a shorter Amundsen as well.
Good luck, and BTW, I most always really enjoy your posts.