Ski recommendations for Northern Iceland

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
captain_kimchi

Ski recommendations for Northern Iceland

Post by captain_kimchi » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:03 am

Hi,

I'm looking into skis for backcountry skiing here in Iceland. I'm currently skiing on 200cm Fishcer TN66 skis, which I like a lot but I'm often frustrated about the lack of float and glide in the deep snow we get here.

I'm 90% decided on buying some 210cm combat nato skis (I'm 80kg and 185.5cm). From what I've read they should be an improvement in terms of float, and also wide downhill turning, which sounds great. Being able to kick along at a faster pace would be great too.

Snow conditions
The winters here are quite unpredictable, being at the mercy of the north Atlantic. When we get snow it usually comes quickly from a strong northern storm. Lots of wind and lots of snow drifting. If the temperature stays low after these storms the snow conditions are usually deep powder, and usually lots of breakable crust after a few days.
If the temp increases quickly after a big snow dump then snow conditions are cruddy and slushy of course and then I just don't ski all that much.

Terrain
I'll post some pictures of the typical terrain that I'll be skiing around in. A typical route will include 200-300m of elevation gain, through some forest and open valleys. As I improve I plan to tackle more hills and take on more challenging descents.

So, do you think the NATO's would serve me well and be an improvement on the TN66's or would you consider something else before pulling the trigger?

Cheers!

captain_kimchi

Re: Ski recommendations for Northern Iceland

Post by captain_kimchi » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:40 pm

So after a bit of further reading and thinking, I'm considering the Asnes Ingstad and also the Madshus Panorama M68. Am I comparing apples and oranges here? I want my next set of skis to be more geared towards having fun on the downhill. I'm happy to sacrifice a bit of speed on the flats for this.

Due to the changeable conditions here I'm also thinking that a waxless base may suit me more. I'm really happy with my TN66 offtrack crown for the climbing I do for now. Whilst waxing skis for the conditions kind of appeals to me, the straightforwardness of scaled skis whilst having the option to attach skins if needed makes a bit more sense due toe the climate here (I think anyway).

I think my priorities are as follows:
- Something enjoyable enough to kick and glide through the local forest in deep snow
- Having fun on a few nearby slopes and practicing telemark turning where my TN66's would be too twitchy and tricky for me
- Progressing to slightly steeper backcountry stuff as my turning improves

Still open to suggestions. If any of you have any thoughts it would be much appreciated :)

DropKneeDiehard
Ski style: Rythmn and Flow
Favorite Skis: Atomic Telemark, Tua Cirques, Voile Ultra Vectors, All Asnes
Favorite boots: Asolo doubles, Asolo E Pro, T3s Root Beer, Scarpa TX

Post by DropKneeDiehard » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:30 pm

Gidday
I skied the resort behind Akureyi in your wonderful country back in 2016 and skied the trails there as well.
Also surfed at Olasfjordur.
Fantastic place cant wait to get back.
I would also consider the Voile range of waxless base skis.
I have the Voile Ultra Vector BC which is a fantastic all round ski even skiable at a resort although a little slow on cat tracks.
It handles a wide range of conditions and the 177 has a waist of 96.
The Endeavour is slimmer at around 80 in the waist but same ski construction and shape.
Not sure how they compare in Price to Asnes in your country but fantastic skis.
The Asnes Instagrad would be a great choice if your going Asnes.
They are a very popular ski down here.
I have 2 friends travelling there in early may and will be based around Dalvik both keen and gifted XCD skiers.
Where are you based?
cheers

DropKneeDiehard
Ski style: Rythmn and Flow
Favorite Skis: Atomic Telemark, Tua Cirques, Voile Ultra Vectors, All Asnes
Favorite boots: Asolo doubles, Asolo E Pro, T3s Root Beer, Scarpa TX

Post by DropKneeDiehard » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:35 pm

captain_kimchi

Post by captain_kimchi » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:12 pm

Hi and thanks for the reply,

I just ordered the M68's with Xplore bindings. I found them for a good price in the right length so decided to go for it. Whilst the voile skis look great they aren't exactly what I'm after for the time being and they are also quite a bit more expensive by the looks of things. Maybe something to try in a few years time :D

Dalvik is a great place to ski, I am not too far from there, roughly a 1 hour drive west. We've had quite a late winter this year, which has been nice for some "spring" skiing.