How Do You Ski Downhill?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: How Do You Ski Downhill?

Post by phoenix » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:53 pm

"My leading foot is already down hill and when I try to bend my knee that leg basically just stays straight and the knee connected to my uphill foot bends."

This catches my attention. I tried imitating a turn (in my living room) with a straight front leg, and a bent uphill leg, and couldn't do it. My mental acuity does not permit me to explain the thoroughly, but in simple intuitive terms: Sounds like your front leg is locking up from a not quite conscious apprehension about committing to the turn due to the steepness. As conditions and/or slope angle change, so might your technique.

For steeper slopes, or more difficult conditions, the "b-tele" or more upright stance (which you display nicely in your videos) might well not the thing. I'm thinking more weighting and unweighting, being very conscious of body position and pole plant (keep the torso pointing downhill, and make that pole plant downhill too), and sinking into the turn, with a solid finish to it. Then you're unweighting for the next sequence.

I completely agree more lift served time is essential to get solid with your turns. Head down to the Wasatch for some delightful spring skiing, if you can. Brighton or Solitude would be very pleasant. Never been to Powder Mountain, but maybe that's a closer option for you?

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:16 pm

JohnSKepler wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:36 pm
. I was on a brand new pair of skis, that I quite like, but it was very icy and I had trouble holding the tele stance for long enough to make a turn.
What??? Brand new pair of skis, but I’m not saying what skis! Wow! That is just unethical! How is any ski purchasing addiction going to be fed by not mentioning the skis.

Yes, I did notice

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:26 pm

phoenix wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:53 pm
"My leading foot is already down hill and when I try to bend my knee that leg basically just stays straight and the knee connected to my uphill foot bends."

This catches my attention.
I find dropping a knee without turning helps a lot. The first thing I do after putting my skis on is drop a knee standing still, both knees twice. Just my old man warm up. Going down an easy downhill on single track on my Gamme’s, drop a knee, with no attempt to turn.
I think dropping knees, have been a benefit to my knees. However, my best friends say I’m a little nuts, so your mileage may vary!

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:52 pm

Actually you CAN ski uphill!!

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:12 pm

fisheater wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:16 pm
JohnSKepler wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:36 pm
. I was on a brand new pair of skis, that I quite like, but it was very icy and I had trouble holding the tele stance for long enough to make a turn.
What??? Brand new pair of skis, but I’m not saying what skis! Wow! That is just unethical! How is any ski purchasing addiction going to be fed by not mentioning the skis.

Yes, I did notice
Haha, you are right! I got a pair of Atomic Maverick 86c in 176 cm. I have no idea if I like them for tele yet as the only day I've had was pretty much just ice. I'm not complaining. I got them on sale and wasn't really expecting to get to use them at all this winter. I did, however, discover that I can parallel ski them just fine with the Transit bindings and Scarpa F1 boots. I hope to get to the point I can tele ski groomed ice but I'm not there yet.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:17 pm

Tele and ice don't go together well.