What is the one thing that will cut your ski day short?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Zacharygraham

What is the one thing that will cut your ski day short?

Post by Zacharygraham » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:02 am

While skiing at Snowbasin with last week, the visibility was horrible up top, then it was nicer about half way down to the base.
Bad visibilty, seems to affect me more and more as I age. I only took a handful of runs and could have skied at least one more before we needed to leave but the poor visibility was just too much. I figured, I have a long season ahead of me and don't need to get hurt because I can't see.

What is the one thing that cuts your ski day short more than anything else?

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: What is the one thing that will cut your ski day short?

Post by Montana St Alum » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:59 pm

Usually something like a broken binding. Or body part. I seem to be running out of useable body parts!

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:21 pm

Half hour into a tour today with my gf at the nordic center, realized my car keys were no longer with me. Backtracked in a panic and found them hanging out of the door handle. Called it divine intervention and went home

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:52 pm

Beer

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:08 pm

randoskier wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:52 pm
Beer

Your jokes are falling flat today. ;) I woulda went with "jock itch"

The things that have sent me home early are wind, bad conditions, and poor visibility, especially when you have all three at the same time.

The last few seasons it's been foot pain, but I think that's behind me now. I got a boot fitting from Turnfarmer and haven't had a pain since after about 15 ski days.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:42 am

lowangle al wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:08 pm
randoskier wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:52 pm
Beer

Your jokes are falling flat today. ;) I woulda went with "jock itch"

The things that have sent me home early are wind, bad conditions, and poor visibility, especially when you have all three at the same time.

The last few seasons it's been foot pain, but I think that's behind me now. I got a boot fitting from Turnfarmer and haven't had a pain since after about 15 ski days.
Al funny you should say "wind, bad conditions, and poor visibility" would send you home. Two days ago I arrived back from northern Finland without completing my second tour of the season- reason being wind, bad conditions, and poor visibility. I was about to ski over Halti (The Finnish national bump) but very high winds and blowing snow ensued- the forecast for yesterday was worse- constant wind at 19 m/s *42 mph) gusting to 22 m's (54 mph) and more snow and a highly elevated avalanche warning. I descended from the wilderness cabin to Kilpisjarvi. This coupled with the fact that I already knew I could not ski the planned Norwegian leg (up the Reisa river and then on to the Sami town of Kautokeino). The Reisa river opened very early this year- the second time I have been prevented from skiing it! So I came home and had a beer. PS You don't get jock itch with M-wool underwear!

re: Jokes- I don't get no respect...