Style

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: Style

Post by Montana St Alum » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:32 am

In the spirit of, "all generalizations are false".

On the majority of turns, I have almost 100% of my weight on the front ski as it transitions forward.

For example, coming to the end of a right turn, as I plant the left pole to initiate the left turn, I push the right ski forward (rather than pulling the left ski back) and transfer my weight onto the right ski.

As my weight comes onto the right ski, I almost completely unweight the left ski - and in fact sometimes I will lift the left ski completely off the snow in the process. By lifting the ski, I mean the tip stays on the snow, with the ski underfoot either almost completely unweighted or about an inch off the snow.

This seems to last for a short (maybe 10 degrees of turn) portion of the new turn with weight reapplied to the rear ski pretty expeditiously. But I rarely have a full 50% of my weight on the back ski, on purpose. It seems like I vary both the weight and the edge angle on that rear ski, just doing "whatever it takes".

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it just "is", for me.

Anyone else do this?

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:04 pm

Montana St Alum wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:32 am
In the spirit of, "all generalizations are false".

On the majority of turns, I have almost 100% of my weight on the front ski as it transitions forward.

For example, coming to the end of a right turn, as I plant the left pole to initiate the left turn, I push the right ski forward (rather than pulling the left ski back) and transfer my weight onto the right ski.

As my weight comes onto the right ski, I almost completely unweight the left ski - and in fact sometimes I will lift the left ski completely off the snow in the process. By lifting the ski, I mean the tip stays on the snow, with the ski underfoot either almost completely unweighted or about an inch off the snow.

This seems to last for a short (maybe 10 degrees of turn) portion of the new turn with weight reapplied to the rear ski pretty expeditiously. But I rarely have a full 50% of my weight on the back ski, on purpose. It seems like I vary both the weight and the edge angle on that rear ski, just doing "whatever it takes".

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it just "is", for me.

Anyone else do this?
I wouldn't say all generalizations are false. Getting and staying centered are integral to stability. Getting centered doesn't necessarily mean keeping your skis equally weighted. You can heavily weight either ski and still be centered. In fact, that's the beauty of being centered. You can weight either ski at will and do it quicker if you are centered.

Since were talking about "style" I would say that yours is classic A tele and mine leans towards B tele as described by Telehiro. The two styles aren't mutually exclusive, just by minimizing your unweighting during transitioning will incorporate some B style into your skiing.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:45 pm

"All generalizations are false", as a generalization, can't be true. Sadly, it's also a pretty lame joke. :lol:

I'm open to trying anything though. Well, most anything.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:04 pm

Something I found interesting is that watching some FIS telemark GS videos, the athletes seem to carry a stance more weight forward and down the fall line than what's typical for allmountain "freeride" telemark. Am I seeing that right?

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:53 pm

Yeah, you're seeing it right. I'd say that's typical for groomed/ice that races are made of. Some weight down the fall line is always good, but if you're trying to carve turns on firm stuff, as far forward as you can get is pretty good.

One thing *I* notice about the brief bit of FIS tele stuff I watched is how they lean so hard on the outside ski. I don't want to say it's not really tele... but the trailing ski seems to be sitting there more for show than action.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:36 pm

I watched the Tele Tay? Video. When you really looked at his skiing, it’s classic “A” Tele. Sure he likes to skid his rear foot some, and pop little airs off the terrain. That just having fun, and yes style, but nuts and bolts just a solid, traditional Telemark skier.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:57 pm

spopepro wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:53 pm
Yeah, you're seeing it right. I'd say that's typical for groomed/ice that races are made of. Some weight down the fall line is always good, but if you're trying to carve turns on firm stuff, as far forward as you can get is pretty good.

One thing *I* notice about the brief bit of FIS tele stuff I watched is how they lean so hard on the outside ski. I don't want to say it's not really tele... but the trailing ski seems to be sitting there more for show than action.
I definitely found myself thinking it didn't look like tele, reminds me of a forced action like speed walking

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:09 pm

fisheater wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:36 pm
I watched the Tele Tay? Video. When you really looked at his skiing, it’s classic “A” Tele. Sure he likes to skid his rear foot some, and pop little airs off the terrain. That just having fun, and yes style, but nuts and bolts just a solid, traditional Telemark skier.
Agreed, when I was referring to his unorthodox style I meant his upper body, to me I could see a silhouette and know who it is

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:16 pm

fisheater wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:36 pm
Since we are bringing "a" tele into the conversation, I wonder, which method is more conducive to an all mountain freeride "having fun" style? Since there's not much reference point for B tele other than telehiro who doesn't seem to deviate much in his ways of traveling down slopes. I mostly feel like I'm watching a lesson

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:36 pm

I would say A Tele, but I come from a PSIA Alpine background. Now I believe @lowangle al would say B Tele. Also I saw some nice tracks from @tkarhu made on Gamme’s with B Tele technique
I would still say A Tele ;) !