Best burly NTN binding with a neutral feel

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
easyjim

Best burly NTN binding with a neutral feel

Post by easyjim » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:09 pm

I'm a downhill telemarker and do a decent amount of resort skinning and some mild back country. I like skiing the woods in the east and moguls and when the conditions permit. I'm 6'5 with 31 Mondo boots and 205 lb. I've had loads of problems the last several years including the axl binding shredding the vibram sole off my boot from the three pin point forward after one day of use (went through two different soles) and had them professionally inspected and mounted after each occurrence. I also rip out voile bindings. I just have a lot of leverage with my enormous legs.

My best setup was a pair of scarpa T1's circa 2005 with a pair of G3 targa bindings and a G3 tickets ski. It was responsive and I could get real deep knee to ski action so I guess by trial and error I like a more neutral binding. I feel like the more active bindings and stiffer wider skis don't really go well with my aggressive deep style.

Looking forward to the new scarpa boots coming out this fall and hopefully in my size. I want to pair them with a more neutral binding that has a really strong mounting pattern and I'm going to be doing 90% resort skiing and 10% back country so weight is not that important. Let me know what you think as I'd appreciate the input.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: Best burly NTN binding with a neutral feel

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:17 pm

Mount them with inserts such as "Binding Freedom". They won't pull out.
I'd look at Bishops, but I have never used them myself.

spopepro

Re: Best burly NTN binding with a neutral feel

Post by spopepro » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:05 pm

My vote is for bishops. I’m on my first season with them and they are *solid*. I also think that the heel rather than the duck butt attachment for springs is more neutral. Only bummer is the price, but it’s solid gear.