Alpina Alaska 75 failure: again!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Alpina Alaska 75 failure: again!

Post by Rodbelan » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:24 am

Oh man, I'm tired of this... But this time, the warranty is ok; I'll have a new pair in the coming fall — thanks to Alpina. But for the rest of the season, no boots. I wonder if there is a glue (a specialized one that would work for such a tiny crack).
RB_Alpina_Alaska75_2.jpg
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

blitzskier

Re: Alpina Alaska 75 failure: again!

Post by blitzskier » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:12 pm

where are those made, country of origin. ???
europe has to abide by new enviromental standards in their rubber plastics production. euro plastics are recycled 10x over, so durability of european rubber/plastics sucks. the best manufactuering out there for plastics and rubber comes from Japan.. this i why I do not buy German cars, they disintegrate after 4 years in the sun..

Find a ski boot or 3 pin manufactuer in Japan if you want the good stuff.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:54 pm

Hey Rod, drill it at the end of the crack, to stop the crack. Any epoxy is okay, if to have some of the flexible epoxy from West Sytem, that would be ideal.
If my Alaska 75 fail like that I will be disappointed, but I will cut the duckbill off and use them for a winter hiking boot.

blitzskier

Post by blitzskier » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:28 pm

i would use shoe-goo first.

there is a product made to repair truck tires and damaged sidewalls for 4x4 truck tires, it comes with a rubber compound and volcanizer, you just cut out the damage with a dremel tool, pack in new rubber and volcanize it.

I have a set of Alpina Montannas and only used them 5 times. they are also showing wear and shrinkage on the duck bill in the bindings. less tension as when they where new.. the rubber bill is getting very soft and sticky , my finger nail penetrates it easily.

Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Post by Jurassien » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:48 pm

blitzskier wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:12 pm
europe has to abide by new enviromental standards in their rubber plastics production. euro plastics are recycled 10x over, so durability of european rubber/plastics sucks.
Which EU-Directive would you be referring to here? Please enlighten us.

Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Post by Jurassien » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:51 pm

@Rodbelan
I wouldn’t hold out much hope for a reliable repair, as that is where the maximum stress on the sole comes to bear. The midsoles of 75mm boots with a stitched welt can also crack in this exact same spot. I find it unacceptable that you have to wait till next season for a replacement – especially in view of the experience you have already had with this manufacturer.

Shame on you, Alpina Sports! Replace the customer’s boots NOW.

Those here on the forum who might be considering an Alpina Sports 75mm boot would do well to take note of this case, as well as having a look at Rodbelan’s thread from one year ago:

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5469

blitzskier

Post by blitzskier » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:27 pm

Jurassien wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:48 pm
blitzskier wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:12 pm
europe has to abide by new enviromental standards in their rubber plastics production. euro plastics are recycled 10x over, so durability of european rubber/plastics sucks.
Which EU-Directive would you be referring to here? Please enlighten us.
i dont know the specific, but European plastics and rubber products imported to the USA are pathetic and inferior, compared to Japanesy plastics and rubber

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:14 am

Alpina has blown it badly by using this thin sole in the first place. They are now doubling down by not only continuing to use it, but also not supporting their customers properly. The thicker Vibram Outback sole would be the wiser choice, with no reports of failure that I'm aware of. The only way this fiasco makes sense is if Alpina doesn't want to spend any time or money on their 75mm boots. They chose a sole that only works well with the Rotte ST? SMH

blitzskier

Post by blitzskier » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:22 am

wabene wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:14 am
The thicker Vibram Outback sole would be the wiser choice, with no reports of failure that I'm aware of.

who carries this boot?

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:04 pm

wabene wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:14 am
Alpina has blown it badly by using this thin sole in the first place. They are now doubling down by not only continuing to use it, but also not supporting their customers properly. The thicker Vibram Outback sole would be the wiser choice, with no reports of failure that I'm aware of. The only way this fiasco makes sense is if Alpina doesn't want to spend any time or money on their 75mm boots. They chose a sole that only works well with the Rotte ST? SMH
It's curious that some are using this boot with voiles 3 pins and allegedly having no problems. Perhaps they aren't skiing them hard, or they don't weigh as much as others. Or techniques? Why would voile recommend this setup?
Screenshot_20240303_100124_DuckDuckGo.jpg