Alpina Alaska 75 failure: again!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Re: Alpina Alaska 75 failure: again!

Post by wabene » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:12 pm

blitzskier wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:22 am
wabene wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:14 am
The thicker Vibram Outback sole would be the wiser choice, with no reports of failure that I'm aware of.

who carries this boot?
The Vibram Outback sole is used on the Crispi Svartisen, the Alico boots sold by Altai Skis and Fischer boots like the Transnordic. There may be others. Alpina is the only company I know of that uses the thinner sole.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:19 pm

blitzskier wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:12 pm
where are those made, country of origin. ???
europe has to abide by new enviromental standards in their rubber plastics production. euro plastics are recycled 10x over, so durability of european rubber/plastics sucks. the best manufactuering out there for plastics and rubber comes from Japan.. this i why I do not buy German cars, they disintegrate after 4 years in the sun..
Really? Here in Italy they make a few soles for boots, you probably have heard of them, they are called Vibram- made here in Italy (which happens to be in the EU) by Vibram SPA (an Italian company) . The founder was Vitale Bramani, hence Vibram.

Vibram shoes were sported by the European statesman Jean Monnet, one of the founding fathers of what became the European Union. He specifically mentioned them in an interview he gave in 1955 to French journalist André Fontaine for French newspaper Le Monde, in which he hinted at the forthcoming creation of the Action Committee for the United States of Europe.

You can't afford a German car so don't worry about it : )
Last edited by randoskier on Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:21 pm

Jurassien wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:48 pm
blitzskier wrote:
europe has to abide by new enviromental standards in their rubber plastics production. euro plastics are recycled 10x over, so durability of european rubber/plastics sucks.
Which EU-Directive would you be referring to here? Please enlighten us.
The one in his head.

blitzskier

Post by blitzskier » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:16 pm

randoskier wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:19 pm
blitzskier wrote:
europe has to abide by new enviromental standards in their rubber plastics production. euro plastics are recycled 10x over, so durability of european rubber/plastics sucks. the best manufactuering out there for plastics and rubber comes from Japan.. this i why I do not buy German cars, they disintegrate after 4 years in the sun..
Really? Here in Italy they make a few soles for boots, you probably have heard of them, they are called Vibram- made here in Italy (which happens to be in the EU) by Vibram SPA (an Italian company) . The founder was Vitale Bramani, hence Vibram.

Vibram shoes were sported by the European statesman Jean Monnet, one of the founding fathers of what became the European Union. He specifically mentioned them in an interview he gave in 1955 to French journalist André Fontaine for French newspaper Le Monde, in which he hinted at the forthcoming creation of the Action Committee for the United States of Europe.

You can't afford a German car so don't worry about it : )

i speak from experience, I have two 740il's , bwm bike and a shitty 230 series and the plastics are only meant to last 8 years before failure set in. Germans have the worst rubber and plastics... great engineering and metallurgy and machining is top notch.
Then I have a few Honda 1970's-1990's bikes and cars. the plastic components are just durable and pliable..

if only Honda made 3 pin boots : )

blitzskier

Post by blitzskier » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:24 pm

I checked the country of origin on my Alpina Tour free, says Vibram on sole, made in ..... Slovenia. with cheapo materials.

they are brand new and the 3 pin bill is getting soft and gummy.. my finger nail penetrates it easily

i've noticed after covid event , that a lot of my walking shoes i buy, have gone downhill, lots of "pleather" used nowadays, and they wear out in 2-3 months.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:25 pm

Jurassien wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:51 pm
@Rodbelan
I wouldn’t hold out much hope for a reliable repair, as that is where the maximum stress on the sole comes to bear. The midsoles of 75mm boots with a stitched welt can also crack in this exact same spot. I find it unacceptable that you have to wait till next season for a replacement – especially in view of the experience you have already had with this manufacturer.

Shame on you, Alpina Sports! Replace the customer’s boots NOW.

Those here on the forum who might be considering an Alpina Sports 75mm boot would do well to take note of this case, as well as having a look at Rodbelan’s thread from one year ago:

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5469
Actually, Jurassien, they have been really nice... Why? Because I bought the boots from an unauthorized dealer — a guy that bought a ski stock from a shop that went bankrupt... They still — Alpina sport — accepted to honor the warranty... But in the meantime, I will have to find a solution for my GF; buy another boot? probably...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Post by Jurassien » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:14 pm

Rodbelan wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:25 pm
Actually, Jurassien, they have been really nice... Why? Because I bought the boots from an unauthorized dealer — a guy that bought a ski stock from a shop that went bankrupt... They still — Alpina sport — accepted to honor the warranty... But in the meantime, I will have to find a solution for my GF; buy another boot? probably...

Ahh……..in that case I take back the “Shame on you, Alpina Sports”. I don’t think the distributor here would have been so accommodating in those circumstances. Your Canadian distributor has probably received his total quota for the year and won’t be getting another consignment until the beginning of next season, so is unable to provide a replacement till then.

Absolving the apparent poor customer service doesn’t alter the fact that there appears to be a problem with the product. If the manufacturer has been inundated with complaints then it’s possible that you might get an improved version of the product next season. If not, you’re back to square one and in future you’ll have to choose your 75mm leather boots from a diminishing number of manufacturers.

Rodbelan

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:51 pm

Jurassien wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:14 pm
Rodbelan wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:25 pm

Ahh……..in that case I take back the “Shame on you, Alpina Sports”. I don’t think the distributor here would have been so accommodating in those circumstances. Your Canadian distributor has probably received his total quota for the year and won’t be getting another consignment until the beginning of next season, so is unable to provide a replacement till then.

Absolving the apparent poor customer service doesn’t alter the fact that there appears to be a problem with the product. If the manufacturer has been inundated with complaints then it’s possible that you might get an improved version of the product next season. If not, you’re back to square one and in future you’ll have to choose your 75mm leather boots from a diminishing number of manufacturers.
Totally agree... How's your winter man? Here, we might have to trade ski for whatever (surf?) in the coming years... Well my boot problem could then be solved... :cry:

Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Post by Jurassien » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:11 pm

^^^^ Winter has not been good here, with regard to Nordic skiing, at any rate. So far I have managed only a single day-tour of less than 20km in my favourite stomping ground of the Swiss Jura. I’ve taken Nordic skis to downhill resorts, of which there are very many here, but that was not for touring, just for downhill practice. The Jura has been just green pasture and forest for most of the winter and some small municipalities have thrown in the towel and dismantled their lift systems for good.

That will all change next week though, when I step on a plane bound for Oslo.

Rodbelan

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:37 am

Good for you! If you can find some snow up north... I'll have to do the same.