Length: Mountain Race 48 Skin

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Length: Mountain Race 48 Skin

Post by JohnSKepler » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:36 am

Considering one of these for mostly tracks.

https://www.en.asnes.com/produkt/mountain-race-48-skin/

I like the feel of a skin better than scales. No whizzing sound, or at least, less. I also like that these have 3/4 steel edges with non-edged tips, better for tracks but can also have a bit of bit outside the track.

Asnes length recommendation:
MR48 Sizing.png
I'm about 172 cm tall and 75 kg weight. In ski gear I'm about 80 kg and, with a pack, easily 85 kg.

This puts me at the top end of a 190 or the bottom end of a 200. In the past, Asnes length recommendations have come up a little short so I was thinking to go with the 200.

Thoughts?
Veni, Vidi, Viski

spopepro

Re: Length: Mountain Race 48 Skin

Post by spopepro » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:12 pm

The MR48 has a pretty soft flex. Always size up for this ski.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:37 pm

I’m in the 100 kilo range @ 183 cm tall and find myself wishing mine were longer (I have 210’s). These are great for warmer weather when waxing is a pain. The 210 waxer MR48’s I picked up last month are noticeably quicker on a Swix Blue kinda day and have a smooth as a hot knife through butter kinda glide. To sum up, the Skin is more versatile, the waxer is quicker.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:16 pm

Oh, if you're on the cusp of the two lengths I definitely recommend getting the longer ones for the MR48s.

Especially if you're mostly on tracks.

The Skins are awesome for insta-skiing and zooming around in difficult conditions.

But the MR48s are very easily squishable if you're caught between the sizes in my experience.

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:36 pm

They say they are 3/4 steel edges. Does that mean the tips or the tail aren't edged? I was hoping it was the tips for better track performance but I realized I have no idea which it is.

@spopepro , @Inspiredcapers , @Musk Ox , it sounds like you may have some direct experience with this ski. Can you answer that question?
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:55 pm

That’s correct, tips and tails are metal free. I assume the intention is to keep you in the track on downhill bends maybe?

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:34 pm

Yeah tips and tails are no-edge. Honestly I think it’s mostly for weight, although there’s likely some track benefits.

I love the ski. It is a very, very good km crusher over a variety of terrain. I only don’t love it in very fresh snow. Not that it doesn’t perform, just that it’s kinda slow. Really shines on snowmobile and other chunky, consolidated trails.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:07 am

Yes, the metal edges are for helplessly exiting the trail at a random angle control going downhill (edit: on scary ice), and for straighter tracking.

The MR48 is the re-jigged Holmenkollen ski, basically designed with the Åsnes Expedition Amundsen race in mind (super light, good for distance, metal-edged for keeping you straight on the flat bits and for control on the scary bits.)

Both the Holmenkollens and the MR48s have been used as polar expedition skis. Although I suspect most of us might perhaps choose something a bit more Gamme or Ousland-esque to do the cruising bits of the Expedition Amundsen today.

But they're so much fun.

If you're intending to use X-Skins on ice or hard snow, longer is definitely the way to go.