Outlaw X for 50/50 setup?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: Outlaw X for 50/50 setup?

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:08 pm

Roat wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:59 am
telerat wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:20 am
I think Outlaw X looks like a good match with the Elan Ripstick 106, which is a solid all mountain ski, but I have no experience with either. Freeride could also work, but I never liked the touring mode on it. I much prefer the free pivot on Meidjo and Switchback for touring, so I assume Outlaw X would be good for a 50/50 setup.

Meidjo is a very nice and light binding, and the weight savings will match better with a light touring ski.
Thanks - i might go for the Outlaw X and try it out. Right now however I can only find it in Europe in size large with the one heel riser and not the newest version with two heel risers. Do you or others know if there is any other difference (than the heel riser) between the two versions of the Outlaw X?
22 Designs has them so you could buy direct (I guess you're somewhere in Europe, so I don't know if that works for you). You could email 22D and ask about single Vs. double climbing bails.
A search from here in the colonies brings up lots of them for sale, but IDK if they'll ship to you. I don't see why they wouldn't.
If I were in Europe, I'd probably just get the Meidjos.

Edit: I would mention that the Outlaw X doesn't really have a release function, but if you have a "good enough" crash, they will release! I was in a high speed carve and it went awry. One of my skis released quite nicely.

Roat

Re: Outlaw X for 50/50 setup?

Post by Roat » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:03 pm

I found the Outlaw X newest version in large in Europe, so I have ordered it and cross my fingers that it is the right decision for now. I will report back after my upcoming trip to Røldal & Haukeli in Norway.

Cheers and thanks for all the inputs 😊