XC(D?) skis for a big man

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
RabbitEars
Ski style: Tipsy Moose
Favorite Skis: Asnes Kongsvold (SB 98s demoted)
Favorite boots: Maybe the Alaska

Re: XC(D?) skis for a big man

Post by RabbitEars » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:51 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:33 pm

@RabbitEars Interesting take on the Kongsvold that I have been lurking for a while... I suspect you have the 200 cm? How do they compare for K&G with the Ingstad? Are they more directional then the Rabb on consolidated snow? Are they stiffer then the Ingstad so that they are less prone to bend in deeper snow?

I almost wish you come up with answers that will not tempt me into buying a pair of Kongsvold :o
I do have the 200 length. Compressing the skis together by hand the Kongsvold are in the middle. Not as stiff as the Ingstad but more than the Rabb. If that's a helpful measure at all. I was able to experience a pretty fast decent on consolidated snow this past weekend on the KV and I would say that I had better control, based on being able to control them at speed. I have to keep my speed to a minimum with the Rabbs on a consolidated base. Rabbs feel as though they would just spin out on a hard base when going to fast.

Comparing KV's with the Ingstad, thinking about it seems counter intuitive. Camber not as stiff, lighter, but I can't say I've ever felt them bow. Ingstad K&G maybe slightly better in the right conditions, but I've never been unhappy with how the Kongsvold perform in this regard. The Kongsvold K&G great and track well. But when weighted for a turn they do so readily. It's an amazing feeling.

Hopefully I didn't sell them to hard. But I do feel like the Kongsvold are an overlooked ski especially for bigger guys. Maybe it's just their availability? I came to them from fisher SB 98's which I liked at the time but now in comparison they seem so slow and uninspiring.