Looking for an inbounds ripping ski high 90s waist

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Looking for an inbounds ripping ski high 90s waist

Post by Woodserson » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:45 am

Stephen wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:07 am
Woodserson wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:23 pm
So let's change the parameters, what's a softer, but not noodley 105ish waisted ski?
Don’t you have a RS 106?
No
Too stiff anyway. Stiffer than the 96!
I have a Nomad 105 and that's a great powder ski but I get hung up on the big twin in steep terrain when I've really got a knee down and my ass in on my boot
If it had a flat tail I'd be good all day

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:48 am

I don’t think we understand the ski conditions in the Alps. If there was video where Chuck Flannel boards a Tram, and comes out the top as Euro Ski Monster, shredding contrails of glacier. Something like that, would put in proper perspective the type of skiing one may encounter in the Alps. At least that’s how I imagined it. Somewhere Glen Plake would show up with a great one liner!

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:58 am

Woodserson wrote:
So let's change the parameters, what's a softer, but not noodley 105ish waisted ski?
Not in a category you'd normally consider due to rocker-camber-rocker, but I have the Dynastar M-Free 108 at 182 cm. Great ski, but you have to charge on them in deep powder to get the best from them. I gave them to my youngest son, 33 y.o. 6'2" and 170 lbs. He had Hoji's but has grown to love these skis as well. He skis Little (and big) Cottonwood Canyons in deep and has not experienced tip dive. I never did either (at 5'8" tall and 160 lbs.) but I generally don't. I think I could comfortably ski a 190-ish (powder oriented, wide ski) if tip dive was an issue, so maybe just size up for your boat sized feet. That may be the answer, actually.

Flatter might be Volkl Blaze 106. Fischer Ranger 102. Katana, Evolv. This is a category that probably won't have flat tails, generally but a few have reduced, asymmetrical rocker in the back.
I love my M Cross 88's, which have a tail flat enough that I get a bit concerned skiing switch except on groomers. But they have a crazy tight turn radius and are too narrow.

Edit:
At DV right now. 4Frnt Kye 110 has flattish tail, as does Solomon QST I saw.
Talked to the guy with the Kye - he loves it.
Last edited by Montana St Alum on Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:47 am

Montana St Alum wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:58 am
Woodserson wrote:

I love my M Cross 88's, which have a tail flat enough that I get a bit concerned skiing switch except on groomers. But they have a crazy tight turn radius and are too narrow.

Edit:
At DV right now. 4Frnt Kye 110 has flattish tail, as does Solomon QST I saw.
Talked to the guy with the Kye - he loves it.
I just got my grubby mitts on a pair of mcross 88s at a local shop and they are exactly what I'm looking for but in a wider waist width, which unfortunately does not exist. This ski in a 102 or whatever would be perfect! The flex, shape, tail design, right up my alley. Too bad this doesn't come in a wider range like the Salomon Stance!

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:34 am

Think I found something
K2 Mindbender 99 Ti

Flatter tail, good shovel size, shovel to tail ratio is telemark friendly, flex is even and the shovel isn't too stiff and the tails are supportive yet forgiving. Layer of metal for dampening... this could be it!

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:53 am

Woodserson wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:34 am
Think I found something
K2 Mindbender 99 Ti

Flatter tail, good shovel size, shovel to tail ratio is telemark friendly, flex is even and the shovel isn't too stiff and the tails are supportive yet forgiving. Layer of metal for dampening... this could be it!
Those and the 2024 Enforcer 100 look interesting. I had the sense both skis had more tail rocker than you wanted, but there's not much out there with flat tails in that width.

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/r ... ORM=VRDGAR

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:09 pm

Montana St Alum wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:53 am

Those and the 2024 Enforcer 100 look interesting. I had the sense both skis had more tail rocker than you wanted, but there's not much out there with flat tails in that width.

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/r ... ORM=VRDGAR
I put my hands on both skis and I like the flex of the Mindbender more. The Enforcer was a bit too much for what I am looking for, my skiing style, my weight, etc. The rocker in the tail is more than I want, but within my limits, and much less than the Rustler 10 (could be very great for me, or meh... not taking the risk right now) or M-Free... (again an M-Cross 99 would be PERFECT). The Mantra 102 (I love my Kendo 88's) is basically a big K88 but I want a softer shovel up front and all reports indicate the Mantra doesn't float as well as other skis in the its class, but it definitely does bulldoze. I like that in the K88 but with this width I want some playfulness and I want those shovels to come up. The mounting point is -10.5 I think, which is great, very close to the Volkl, the Rustler is -8? and with the rockered tail I won't be able to go back too much without worrying about it washing out.
Keeping an eye out for end of season deals! Will pull trigger and report back!

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:03 pm

My M Cross has about the same shovel width as both of those skis (Mindbender and Enforcer) at 134mm. Of course, the MCross have an 88mm waist. The wide shovel was something I was concerned about in bumps, as I thought it might get crowded. The wide shovels haven't been a problem in that regard, but the differential between the waist and shovel has resulted in a few times where I've had the rear ski tip ride up over the shovel with unpleasant results.

I think that will be a nonissue with a 99 waist, and it's easy to compensate by spreading my stance a very small amount. I expect you'll like them. What length are you looking at? Here in the U.S. they're now $599.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:34 pm

184cm
They'll come down, they always do
I picked up my Kendo 88s for 399 and my Wingmen 86 for 299. I would expect about the same as the K88 for these.
I may roam around to some shops and offer cash. Long length, end of season. Buying skis is like fishing. Wait patiently, enjoy the process.

Honestly I'm not a big fan of K2 and China skis in general but this gets some good reviews I trust. I had a pair of Waybacks I bought from a Scottish shop that I really liked and they have held up, I sold them to my 240lb rager of a friend and they are still solid. No need to sacrifice my pleasure on the altar of ideology. And some local shop will get my money.

DG99

Post by DG99 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:30 am

Fischer Rangers are great. You can often get good prices too. Not too much ski, but snappy stiff and energetic.

K2, Volkl, Elan, Salomon and Rossignol I’d steer clear of. Black Crows might be good?