Open turns in Barnett's Cross-Country Downhill?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
snowplow

Open turns in Barnett's Cross-Country Downhill?

Post by snowplow » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:45 pm

Hi.
I recently got Steve Barnett's book to try to learn Telemark skiing. There's a section in it that describes open turns. Reading the descriptions and looking at pictures, I can't for the life of me imageine what it's supposed to look like.
Here's how he describes them:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Is that something that's actually used and if so, is there maybe footage of it being used somewhere online?

snowplow

Re: Open turns in Barnett's Cross-Country Downhill?

Post by snowplow » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:43 pm

And here's the rest of the chapter:
4.jpg
5.jpg

satanas

Post by satanas » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:42 pm

Haven't looked at the book for a long time but never understood what "open turns" were, or spoken with anyone who did. Totally perplexing IMHO...

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:11 am

I know what you mean... I tried to figure it out in the past. Someone told me that it looks and feels like skating, a bit like a reverse telemark... a bit like a parallel turn, with more mouvement, more independence with back and front skis...

There is some footage in the instructional vids from the NATO (North American Telemark Organisation) — can't remember which one.
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:21 am

Ok, I think I remember now... It is in «Revenge of the Telemarkers», not available anymore though...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:28 am

I never heard of the term "open turn", and I didn't even begin to read the description, but it looks quite familiar. I group it into the general 'survival turn' category; basically a parallel step turn initiated with the inside ski.The pics are good at illustrating it, and Barnett's in good farm skiing that crud on long skinnies.

snowplow

Post by snowplow » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:12 pm

Rodbelan wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:21 am
Ok, I think I remember now... It is in «Revenge of the Telemarkers», not available anymore though...
Thanks for the tip! I've watched The Telemark Movie, but maybe the sequel will come up for sale on Ebay one day.

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland

Post by Capercaillie » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:39 pm

If I understand things correctly, the open turn is a parallel turn that finishes with the inside ski tip deliberately splayed uphill (the tips are "open"). That makes sense. What is a lot more confusing is how to start the next turn from this position. Barnett does not really describe this.

This seems to also be a useful technique for skiing steeps. There are a couple of segments in the Edge of Never where Anselme Baud is finishing in open turns:

at 42:10

and 55:30

Also check out that kick-turn Baud uses to finish off the last turn. Very stylish, controlled skiing. Does anyone know where to find more films that show his skiing up close?
snowplow wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:12 pm
Thanks for the tip! I've watched The Telemark Movie, but maybe the sequel will come up for sale on Ebay one day.
I have read elsewhere that you can still buy the videos directly from Dicky Hall at nato@gmavt.net Not sure if that is true anymore.

snowplow

Post by snowplow » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:45 pm

Thanks for linking that, Capercaillie! I watched the whole thing. The pictures in the book make it look like the stepping turn in cross-country, but that turn is completely different. I think I now also want to find more about Baud. They reference a film of his at 26:21

I wonder if that's available anywhere. That's some very spartan gear.

I think this is a clip from another film he's in:

Looks pretty similar to me.

DropKneeDiehard
Ski style: Rythmn and Flow
Favorite Skis: Atomic Telemark, Tua Cirques, Voile Ultra Vectors, All Asnes
Favorite boots: Asolo doubles, Asolo E Pro, T3s Root Beer, Scarpa TX

Post by DropKneeDiehard » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:22 am

I too was fascinated by this chapter and turn.
It was also used in the Australian Alps in the 1940s in difficult to turn in snows.
Basically from my understanding its a scissor turn a divergent alpine turn with the advanced and scissored up hill ski acting like a reverse telemark in a wider stance and aiding in pulling the skier up the hill and out of the Fall.
Then by starting the new turn off the uphill ski the downs is pushed forward and scissored to pull the turn around the other way.
Needs a wide stance and feels like your John Wayne with a horse between your legs.
My mate helped me put this article together back in the late 80s to try and get our heads around the turn.
IMG_1848.jpg
IMG_1849.jpg
IMG_1851.jpg
IMG_1850.jpg