Xplore - now SkateX

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
siebznet

Xplore - now SkateX

Post by siebznet » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:08 pm

New video from Zach Caldwell (one of the premier providers of pro-level nordic ski service) on the new Madshus/Rottefella SkateX binding system

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Re: Xplore - now SkateX

Post by telerat » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:36 pm

Thanks, I saw something about it yesterday, but this video was much better. It is an interesting system. Seems superior in power/function for skating. I am more curious on snow packing and durability, but for competitions that might not be an issue.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:21 pm

Thanks for posting this!

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:12 pm

Very interesting indeed.

Peter P
Ski style: Converted skate skier
Favorite Skis: Rabb68

Post by Peter P » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:38 pm

Very interesting. My OCD went into overdrive at the thought of an adjustable cleat, similar to cycling shoes. Lots of adjustability when combined with a binding with easy fore-aft adjustment built in.

captainswallowtail

Post by captainswallowtail » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:16 pm

I hope this comes to touring level where boot lugs will still make it feasible to walk.
Reminds me of old splitboard hardware where the pin / pivot was much more underfoot and it made for a very natural rocking flex.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:53 am

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:48 am

1% better is valuable for competitions, less so for us regular mortals. It looks nice and if it gives a better sensation, it may be worth the extra cost to some. Skate X is only for skate skis and thus incompatible with classic skiing, so one can not use the same (sturdy) combi boot for both classic and skate skiing. Some claim it is just for "high-end skate performance", and that "skating by most people will still be done on the systems currently produced". We will se in the future how it will be priced, marketed and reliability/durability.

I would likely not use it for Nordic/touring skating since that usually involves some walking/hiking, and using the same boots for both that and the skating is convenient.

The design looks like it will give a fast/solid return of the skate to the boot when lifting the ski/skate, as also mentioned by Erik Brandsdal; this is perhaps what I like most with Xplore on my skates compared to 75mm, but less weight and the binding not touching the ice on hard strokes is also advantageous/nice. I have also used the combi boot with the skates, and it worked well, but the sole has little grip on ice and I was worried about wear.

I just noticed that Rottefella have also released skate versions of NNN-BC and NNN with a harder red flex.

satanas

Post by satanas » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:02 pm

Looks like a great idea, but I have all Salomon Profil so it'd mean new everything. That boot sole looks slippery too, maybe not a big deal elsewhere but here in Australia we typically have to walk across paved/icy car parks. Madshus boots fit me okay and their top boots are super light (and super expensive). Maybe I should start saving for whenever this becomes available.