Crispi Futura Pro feedback.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Re: Crispi Futura Pro feedback.

Post by Nick BC » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:12 pm

Forgive me if I’m missing something here. Various posts in this thread and others have talked about different XP boots having stiffer or softer soles. My understanding is that there is only one XP sole, which boot manufacturer’s then glue to their particular upper. So is it less the sole and more the upper composition that dictates the power to the edge? Sorry if I’m being a pedantic old bar steward.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:47 am

Nick BC wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:12 pm
Forgive me if I’m missing something here. Various posts in this thread and others have talked about different XP boots having stiffer or softer soles. My understanding is that there is only one XP sole, which boot manufacturer’s then glue to their particular upper. So is it less the sole and more the upper composition that dictates the power to the edge? Sorry if I’m being a pedantic old bar steward.
Very astute observation Nick, I have wondered the same thing. When I compared a couple models in the store I thought the Alfa Free got it's extra stiffness from the upper.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:28 am

I read that there were two widths of the Xplore sole, but can not remember any mention of different stiffnesses. I have (pre Xplore) read about 75mm and NNN-BC sole having different stiffness due midsoles.

I once tested both Alfa Greenland 75 (or similar) and Alpina Alaska 75 in a shop, and I could easily twist the Greenland quite a lot with my hands, while Alaska was much stiffer. I assume part of it was due to the Alaska's complete rubber rand, but it might also have been due to a stiffer midsole and upper. Utemagasinet.no mentioned that Alaska BC was even more supportive than the 75mm version due to the sole. The stiffness of the whole boot will change with use, more or less depending on materials used, so testing an unused boot can be also be more or less misleading.

The Alfa Free sole does not seem stiffer than my Skaget, but the upper is reinforced with plastic internally and much more supportive. The soles flexes in different position though. Free flexes mostly on a single point/axis quite forward, on the only point where the soft fabric is not supported with rubber around the toe, or at the rear with the smooth and stiffer fabric. The smother fabric is also on the tongue and tends to bear down on my toes when the boot is flexed hard. Skaget flexes over a longer distance further back and feels better/more natural, but even though it is quite supportive it has much less support than Alfa Free.

Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Post by Jurassien » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:20 am

lowangle al wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:47 am
Very astute observation Nick, I have wondered the same thing. When I compared a couple models in the store I thought the Alfa Free got it's extra stiffness from the upper.

Welcome back to the forum!

Did you bring your friend Manney back with you, by any chance?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:45 am

Nick BC wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:12 pm
Rottefella claims that their Xplore outsole construction is inherently more stable and supportive than NNNBC-
I will have to trust their claim.

I can say that (just like NNNBC/NN-3pin) there is variability in sole stiffness between XP boot models-
I am assuming that this must be a function of the midsole construction- just as it is with the variable sole-stiffness of NN-3pin/NNNBC touring boots.

At the moment- the lower cut Crispi Futura XP has the softest-flexing XP sole that I have had on my feet. I have read reports that the Alfa Vista XP has a softer sole as well (ie softer than the Free/Skaget).
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:11 am

Im not sure yet if i am completely happy with these overall. I used them in a combined tour with steep climbs and descents mostly in powder and a bit on a hard snow, groomed slope. I liked the tour comfort a lot, but when I closed the power strap on the brace I got some nasty chafing on the downhill from the top of the boot. In addition I had the impression that they twisted on the hard snow section, resulting in difficulty to edge the skis. It could be that my forefoot was too loose. I'll need to try with an insole and/or thicker socks. This was on Ousland skis.
The overall performance was great for tours but I didn't yet get any benefit from the power strap.
The picture illustrates 30min worth of chafing. Can't imagine using that for a few hours just yet, unless I find a solution
P_20240210_115138.jpg

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:57 am

CwmRaider wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:11 am
Im not sure yet if i am completely happy with these overall. I used them in a combined tour with steep climbs and descents mostly in powder and a bit on a hard snow, groomed slope. I liked the tour comfort a lot, but when I closed the power strap on the brace I got some nasty chafing on the downhill from the top of the boot. In addition I had the impression that they twisted on the hard snow section, resulting in difficulty to edge the skis. It could be that my forefoot was too loose. I'll need to try with an insole and/or thicker socks. This was on Ousland skis.
The overall performance was great for tours but I didn't yet get any benefit from the power strap.
The picture illustrates 30min worth of chafing. Can't imagine using that for a few hours just yet, unless I find a solution
P_20240210_115138.jpg
I had the same problem in the same spot on my right foot with the Svartisens. I just shaved the spot and used moleskin or really even just a band-aid for the rest of that season. The next season the problem never returned.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:04 am

@CwmRaider Ouch. This could also be from the boot tongue/fabric not laying properly. Make sure that the fabric connecting the tongue to the boot does not have wrinkles and lays as sooth as possible when lacing up to to avoid pressure or chafing. It might be harder to see than with laces since the power strap covers a larger area. I hope you get the boot to work properly for you.

I have managed to try my Alfa Free on a proper tour now (970 vertical meters/11.5km) and luckily it seems to work fine for my feet. I can feel the tongue/fabric bearing down on my toes, but it was not painful, and otherwise it seems to fit well.

Hopefully we now got two good Xplore boot alternatives with more support for steeper downhill xcd/backcountry skiing. Perhaps Alpina also will step in with a great alternative? Neither Pioneer/PI Pro, Tech nor Elite looks to me like a proper competitor to Free and Futura Pro/CXP.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:54 am

@CwmRaider
Ouch!
I haven't used the Futura Pro enough to have this experience yet-
and, was hoping that the wider powerstrap might reduce the chances of it...

I have severely injured my shins with the narrow plastic ratchet strap on the Svartisen-
I am very careful to back that strap waaaay off most of the time-
hence, the reason I would very much like to lace the damn boot up properly.

Your injury is concerning-
was the powerstrap very tight when this happened?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland

Post by Capercaillie » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:06 pm

kniepisler wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:15 pm
On a related note about the Scott Excursions, while the cuff height is taller than the Crispi's, the "power" strap is about useless. I put power in quotes because I never understood why Scott had a velco "power" strap that was only connected to the liner and didn't engage the plastic cuff of the boot.. Seems that the boot would offer so much more control if it did...
I think that velcro strap is there in lieu of liner laces. Asolo double mountaineering boot liners had a very similar design. As a person with narrower ankles I appreciate it.