"You got old gear, man."

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Lhartley

Re: "You got old gear, man."

Post by Lhartley » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:34 pm

Piggy backing on this thread, because I like old gear, Man. I think this is an older generation voile binding. Any reason not to spend my lunch money on these? Are they inferior to current models? Can I get a hardwire on them somehow?
Screenshot_20240218_143007_Facebook.jpg
And these skis, are they a telemark specific model? My search comes up with nothing for "Elan TM"
Screenshot_20240218_143504_Facebook.jpg

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland

Post by Capercaillie » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:35 pm

Lhartley wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:34 pm
Piggy backing on this thread, because I like old gear, Man. I think this is an older generation voile binding. Any reason not to spend my lunch money on these? Are they inferior to current models? Can I get a hardwire on them somehow?
I bought a pair of NOS Voile 3pc in that colorway with those heel plates a few months ago, and a new production version last season. The current model: heel plates hold climbing wires more securely, the binding is stamped in several places to sit proud of ski topsheet and have maybe 2° of ramp angle to the binding (I don't know whether this is to compensate for boot rocker on its own, allow trapped moisture to escape, or for better compatibility with riser plates). New one is anodized, old one is painted. Both have a painted lever. The bindings in those photos might be 3pc or the Mountaineer, can't go wrong either way.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:39 pm

Thanks, very helpful, picked up the bindings and gonna pass the skis on

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:05 pm

spopepro wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:32 pm
Unless the skis are thrashed, I’d stick with what you have. This is a bad time to seek new tele gear as there’s a lot of stuff in the middle of change.

75mm is dead. I suspect that in 2-3 years there will be no new plastic 75mm boots being made. The primary reason is the new tx pro boot that’s going to start being available next fall. We’ve already seen some binding makers also cutting their 75mm lines.

So I’d recommend keeping the gear you have now. Next winter if you still have the itch, go try on the new NTN boot to see if it agrees with your feet and your wallet. If it does, it’s probably NTN or TTS time. If it doesn’t, then you can put some work in shopping the deals as people close out their 75mm stuff.
Or maybe the manufacturers expect a revival? Wishful thinking? I like when my hoarding is justified either way

https://www.voile.com/blog/benefits-3-p ... ark-setup/

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:46 pm

Lhartley wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:05 pm
spopepro wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:32 pm
Unless the skis are thrashed, I’d stick with what you have. This is a bad time to seek new tele gear as there’s a lot of stuff in the middle of change.

75mm is dead. I suspect that in 2-3 years there will be no new plastic 75mm boots being made. The primary reason is the new tx pro boot that’s going to start being available next fall. We’ve already seen some binding makers also cutting their 75mm lines.

So I’d recommend keeping the gear you have now. Next winter if you still have the itch, go try on the new NTN boot to see if it agrees with your feet and your wallet. If it does, it’s probably NTN or TTS time. If it doesn’t, then you can put some work in shopping the deals as people close out their 75mm stuff.
Or maybe the manufacturers expect a revival? Wishful thinking? I like when my hoarding is justified either way

https://www.voile.com/blog/benefits-3-p ... ark-setup/
Note that the article shows what looks like a really interesting prototype 75mm plastic shell connected to what looks like maybe a 3pin free pivot system, neither of which exist or are likely to exist. The article talks about leathers, which will be all that’s left for 75mm imho.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:00 pm

I didn't even notice that, at a quick glance I figured it was a vintage ad of their release bindings