Voile TTS Transit releasability

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
raml5

Voile TTS Transit releasability

Post by raml5 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:03 am

Any experience with wanted or unwanted releases with the Voile TTS Transit?

voilenerd

Re: Voile TTS Transit releasability

Post by voilenerd » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:58 am

TTS is very finicky with cable tension. If you don’t have the cables tensioned properly, I use 5-6mm gap on the cartridges, then you will release from the binding. I have time on the old Voile TTS and new Transit. The old one, I did have a few unwanted releases but that is because my cable tension wasn’t properly set. The Transit has a redesigned heel lever and is suppose to hold on better to the boot. I have only skied my Transit a few times but have not had any issues yet.

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:46 pm

voilenerd wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:58 am
TTS is very finicky with cable tension. If you don’t have the cables tensioned properly, I use 5-6mm gap on the cartridges, then you will release from the binding. I have time on the old Voile TTS and new Transit. The old one, I did have a few unwanted releases but that is because my cable tension wasn’t properly set. The Transit has a redesigned heel lever and is suppose to hold on better to the boot. I have only skied my Transit a few times but have not had any issues yet.
Are you talking about the setback of the cartridge-edge from the little line on the silver nipple when the cable is on the boot? I just installed Transit on my Objective and will be trying it later this week. Cartridge-edge is even with the line with the cable off the boot.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:44 am

Correct look at figure 3 in the manual. The manual calls for 3-6mm. Stick the boot in the binding and stick the heel throw on boot. Measure the gap from the line on cartridge to end of the black barrel. You should see 3-6mm of the barrel exposed. I run 5-6mm gap but I like I higher tension for a stiffer feel. If you don’t have the cartridges tensioned properly you will release from the heel throw when making a turn.

https://www.voile.com/TTS_TRANSIT_Instructions_V1.8.pdf

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:05 am

Hey @JohnSKepler Boy Transit sure felt strange at first. It’s so much more active, even in the most neutral position, with the cable hooked closest to the pins. I had brand new boots, brand new bindings, and the feel was brand new to me.
It took about 1000 vertical feet, for me to start feeling comfortable. I’m still fine tuning my skiing to the combination, but if I can use the correct engineering term, it badass! It’s so quick edge to edge.
The funny thing is people talk about how active bindings make for bad form. I see how that is possible, you can pressure the rear ski, lifting your heel while being on your tippy toes. However the system rewards good form so much more. So much more power, so much quicker, with proper form!
Good luck, AND REMEMBER, that F-1 may take some time to break in. I’ve heard of guys sanding the sole. I don’t think that is necessary, but some patience may be.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:20 pm

fisheater wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:05 am
Hey @JohnSKepler Boy Transit sure felt strange at first. It’s so much more active, even in the most neutral position, with the cable hooked closest to the pins. I had brand new boots, brand new bindings, and the feel was brand new to me.
It took about 1000 vertical feet, for me to start feeling comfortable. I’m still fine tuning my skiing to the combination, but if I can use the correct engineering term, it badass! It’s so quick edge to edge.
The funny thing is people talk about how active bindings make for bad form. I see how that is possible, you can pressure the rear ski, lifting your heel while being on your tippy toes. However the system rewards good form so much more. So much more power, so much quicker, with proper form!
Good luck, AND REMEMBER, that F-1 may take some time to break in. I’ve heard of guys sanding the sole. I don’t think that is necessary, but some patience may be.

After my Transit Cartridges were broken in position 1 feels similar to a Switchback X2 but you don’t get the delay before the binding engages. I’ve been playing with the positions. Only skied 1 & 2. Need more time before posting feedback.

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:01 am

voilenerd wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:44 am
Correct look at figure 3 in the manual. The manual calls for 3-6mm. Stick the boot in the binding and stick the heel throw on boot. Measure the gap from the line on cartridge to end of the black barrel. You should see 3-6mm of the barrel exposed. I run 5-6mm gap but I like I higher tension for a stiffer feel. If you don’t have the cartridges tensioned properly you will release from the heel throw when making a turn.

https://www.voile.com/TTS_TRANSIT_Instructions_V1.8.pdf
Manual? I don't need no steeking manual! ;)

Got it! Thanks.

@fisheater, it's going to be especially hard breaking in that boot since it seems winter is about over here. It tried to get started early January but gave up and then that damn groundhog didn't see his shadow. Temps have been in the high 40s with no real dips on the horizon. Rode the motorcycle to work yesterday. Even if we get a dump at the end of February there won't be much of a base. ENSO + low altitude = winter crap shoot. Funny thing is, we've got to be the first generations that ever hoped for a cold, snowy winter. For the last 25,000 years, long, cold, snowy winters meant starvation and death!

The yard work will be spinning up in a month. Can I break in the F1s by wearing them to mow the grass? That would give walk mode an entirely new meaning!
Veni, Vidi, Viski