Falketind 62 X with Scales

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Falketind 62 X with Scales

Post by JohnSKepler » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:52 pm

I know this doesn't exist but I wish it did. I use both the 58mm and the 45mm XSkins depending on conditions and they work quite well but they do produce significant drag. More specifically, the plastic mount-cover drags and, in some conditions, is really noisy. I've waxed the FT and it works pretty well when it's cold and dry.

In contrast, the Voile Objective feels like a mountain bike. You want to go up, you go up. You want to go down, you go down. But here in Northern Utah the conditions are all over the place and conditions are rarely stable for more than two days. A scaled FT62 and a scaled Voile Objective, the BC version, would cover 90% of my backcountry use cases. I do wish there were more long, flat, or rolling routes around here but there just isn't.

Is there anything from other manufacturers that is similar to an FT62X BC?
Veni, Vidi, Viski

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Falketind 62 X with Scales

Post by fisheater » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:54 pm

Not that I know of John.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:59 pm

Fischer S-Bound 98- with the Easy-Skin insert.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Chriso

Post by Chriso » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:45 am

Not exactly spot on but Asnes do have a waxless version of Ingstad.

https://www.en.asnes.com/produkt/ingstad-waxless/
Norway, Trøndelag
Gamme 54
Rabb 68

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:57 pm

I've been wanting to buy a Rabb for a while but hoping they make a fish scale version.

Kick waxing works fine, but with warmer waxes you can't put skins over. In warmer snow, I would have to use kicker skins instead of wax. Kicker skins glide well enough, but taking kicker skins on and off in hilly terrain is time consuming. Going downhill with kicker skins can be sketchy and I want to get turns in even on small hills.

Scales would allow the use of skins and allow me to have grip without skins in warmer snow.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:20 am

Panorama M62... Freakin' good skis. I mean, I have the older ones, without scales. Newer version has scales...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:26 am

Rodbelan wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:20 am
Panorama M62... Freakin' good skis. I mean, I have the older ones, without scales. Newer version has scales...
Hey Rod we have the same version of the M62. Mine appear to have no nordic rocker (unless I'm missing something), how about yours? My relaxed camber when skis are base to base is 42mm, feel like measuring yours? Just curious if they are consistent.

John_XCD
Ski style: Powdery aspen glades
Favorite Skis: XC race skis, Finnmark, Breidablikk, S-98, Objective BC, FT62 (xplore model)
Favorite boots: Guard Adv NNNBC

Post by John_XCD » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:43 pm

that would be great for corn season. i love my ft62.

i agree fischer sbound 98 is similar. that was my first xcd ski and started this whole thing.... very aggressive scale pattern.

fwiw - asnes waxless pattern leaves much to be desired so even if they made a waxless ft62 it might not do the trick.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:58 am

wabene wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:26 am
Rodbelan wrote:
Hey Rod we have the same version of the M62. Mine appear to have no nordic rocker (unless I'm missing something), how about yours? My relaxed camber when skis are base to base is 42mm, feel like measuring yours? Just curious if they are consistent.
I'll have to try measuring. Definitely, mine have a bit of nordic rocker... These are my go to skis now... I tried the T55 a couple of days ago; harder to turn (high camber but not too stiff), but they fly... Nice skis also...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:05 pm

Rodbelan wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:58 am
wabene wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:26 am
Rodbelan wrote:
I'll have to try measuring. Definitely, mine have a bit of nordic rocker... These are my go to skis now... I tried the T55 a couple of days ago; harder to turn (high camber but not too stiff), but they fly... Nice skis also...
You made me question myself, so I checked. Yes I am guilty of spreading fake news. The M62'S do have some nordic rocker. Not much really. Just enough maybe. You've got me remembering these are nice skis! There is a lot to like here. I do think a center groove could be good, but then again skiing downhill in firmer conditions you can really steer these skis nicely.

Here they all are again with their cambers clamped. Left to right 62 (195),98 (189),78 (182(185)) lol. It still looks like the 98 has slightly more rocker even though it is longer than the 78. The 62 really has some nice qualities. Some rocker and some stiffness to the tips.
PXL_20240203_033743312.jpg
Would be nice if I could actually ski any of these this year. Snowless cabin fever.