kom vs Fischer Sbound 125 advice please

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: kom vs Fischer Sbound 125 advice please

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:31 am

wabene wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:48 am
It is interesting that people who tend to prefer the Rotte ST are also people who tend to have thin duckbilled boots like the Alaska, just sayin.
I should have been more explicit-
I prefer the 3-pin bale and clamp mechanism on the Rotte ST-
I prefer it because I find it smoother, easier, more efficient to get into the ST than the Voile.
Otherwise, I don't think either of them "work" better than the other (the Voile is likley more durable in very long term, due to the lack of any plastic parts...)
As far as the cable or hardwire versions- they are each a little different- I don't really have a strong preference for any of the the three.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:31 am

Oh- and I don't have an Alaska 75 boot- have witnessed too many of them failing to ever buy one.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:36 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:31 am
wabene wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:48 am
It is interesting that people who tend to prefer the Rotte ST are also people who tend to have thin duckbilled boots like the Alaska, just sayin.
I should have been more explicit-
I prefer the 3-pin bale and clamp mechanism on the Rotte ST-
I prefer it because I find it smoother, easier, more efficient to get into the ST than the Voile.
Otherwise, I don't think either of them "work" better than the other (the Voile is likley more durable in very long term, due to the lack of any plastic parts...)
As far as the cable or hardwire versions- they are each a little different- I don't really have a strong preference for any of the the three.
I agree in my limited experience with the Rotte ST that the way that the bale extends out front gives you more leverage when clamping the binding. It is easier. When clamping the Voile I resort to using my thumbs which can be uncomfortable.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:18 am

Backcountry touring in my region requires endless watercourse crossing- many of which are not frozen at various points throughout the ski season-
if one is going to travel any distance, the chances are high that one will have to take off skis at various points to get across watercourses- this is really my primary preference for the 3pin bale on the ST...

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:10 pm

"When clamping the Voile I resort to using my thumbs which can be uncomfortable."

Shouldn't need to do that Wabene, I always simply click in pressing my ski pole tip down on the little dimple in the bail; I've always assumed that's why it's there (this does require a snug adjustment on adjustable poles, if you use those). To get my boot into the pins, I just hold the ski in place with the pole basket held in front of the shovel.
Of course, if it's the 3 pin and cable variety of any sort, bending down is necessary for the heel bail (rare exceptions with the couple of step in varieties which have existed).