Fake Fjalraven cotton anorak

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Lhartley

Fake Fjalraven cotton anorak

Post by Lhartley » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:52 pm

Helikon-Tex Men's Woodsman Anorak Jacket Black/Taiga Green https://a.co/d/07ZICBR

Good deal or cheap junk? I have been looking at the fjalraven version of this and the features and fabric seem pretty similar and this is a fraction of the price and gar easier to get a hold of

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: Fake Fjalraven cotton anorak

Post by Montana St Alum » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:01 am

It looks pretty nice. Get it on the "try before you buy" option?
Once it's waxed, you may not be able to tell the difference.
The only thing I'd worry about is the seller rating which seems a bit low at 67%.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:08 pm

It looks like Helikon Tex has two polycotton anoraks: the Pilgrim and the Woodsman, heavier and lighter duty. perhaps comparable to Anorak no. 8 and Singi Anorak, respectively, which I both own.
The Singi Anorak is one layer of G1000 whereas the Anorak No 8 has "heavy duty" polycotton on the shoulders and double layers in other places. The No. 8 feels like a spacesuit when you put it on. it is a formidable piece of kit, but will quickly be too warm when temperatures go above freezing if you are active (unless it is very windy, in which case youll be very happy with the heavier kit). On the other hand, in above freezing temperatures any downpour may be rain, and polycotton wont keep you dry for long in anything more than a drizzle. With a wool sweater underneath i don't mind using my no. 8 in some rain for shorter periods, but it clearly is most at home below freezing. The No. 8 main shortcomings for me are somewhat short-ish sleeves for me, and limited cuff adjustment with two push buttons. I use it a LOT.

I agree that Fjällräven clothes are very expensive, especially the No. 8 anorak. You are paying a lot for the brand, especially at full price. If you can get something close to that for 1/4 the price it's a win. I tried Garphyttan and "Revolution Race" "Fjällräven imitations" but am not impressed by their durability.
The Helikon Tex brand seems better than other "imitations" that I tried. If it were me shopping I would get the heavier duty Pilgrim anorak from that brand, but we live in different climates and probably have different uses and expectations from such gear.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:52 pm

CwmRaider wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:08 pm
It looks like Helikon Tex has two polycotton anoraks: the Pilgrim and the Woodsman, heavier and lighter duty. perhaps comparable to Anorak no. 8 and Singi Anorak, respectively, which I both own.
The Singi Anorak is one layer of G1000 whereas the Anorak No 8 has "heavy duty" polycotton on the shoulders and double layers in other places. The No. 8 feels like a spacesuit when you put it on. it is a formidable piece of kit, but will quickly be too warm when temperatures go above freezing if you are active (unless it is very windy, in which case youll be very happy with the heavier kit). On the other hand, in above freezing temperatures any downpour may be rain, and polycotton wont keep you dry for long in anything more than a drizzle. With a wool sweater underneath i don't mind using my no. 8 in some rain for shorter periods, but it clearly is most at home below freezing. The No. 8 main shortcomings for me are somewhat short-ish sleeves for me, and limited cuff adjustment with two push buttons. I use it a LOT.

I agree that Fjällräven clothes are very expensive, especially the No. 8 anorak. You are paying a lot for the brand, especially at full price. If you can get something close to that for 1/4 the price it's a win. I tried Garphyttan and "Revolution Race" "Fjällräven imitations" but am not impressed by their durability.
The Helikon Tex brand seems better than other "imitations" that I tried. If it were me shopping I would get the heavier duty Pilgrim anorak from that brand, but we live in different climates and probably have different uses and expectations from such gear.
Thank you for the thorough reply, that's a lot of help. I've actually not used an anorak since I was a a kid so I'm just curious if I'll like that style of jacket. I'm skiing a lot more without a pack in the backcountry and really want the option of having the pouch to store bulky items that I don't like having in pants or jacket side pockets. Will probably actually just thrift one when I have the time to donthe shopping but these ones seem like a great small investment option. I'm just really curious how much of a difference there actually is between g1000 technology and a standard cotton poly blend

CwmRaider

Post by CwmRaider » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:09 am

Lhartley wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:52 pm
I'm just really curious how much of a difference there actually is between g1000 technology and a standard cotton poly blend
Probably none or not much. There may be substantial difference in stitching quality between brands though

Not everyone likes anoraks, my partner doesn't for example. The kangaroo pouch on the fjällraven ones is very useful. As is the long continuous pocket.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:19 am

Lowangle Al wrote about taking the cargo pocket off of worn out cargo pants. He attached a cord so he could wear it around his neck. It was his easy access front pouch.

Charlynor
Ski style: Back country
Favorite Skis: Åsnes gamme lookinf forward to test Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina alaska NNNBC

Post by Charlynor » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:43 am

Why not getting this one from Norrøna?

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/products/ ... norak-men/

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:45 pm

Charlynor wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:43 am
Why not getting this one from Norrøna?

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/products/ ... norak-men/
Out of any of them I do prefer the looks of that jacket. It's just not really a product I NEED so I'm hesitant to invest much in it. More just want to try out a cotton blend anorak. I have a closet full of outdoor gear. I'm cheap and value my retirement fund over brand names

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:45 pm

I just ordered that a couple days ago since I saw some good reviews here and the description said how breathable it was plus 75% cotton vs others which are mostly synthetic. May not do the best job blocking wind compared to synth, but short of wearing a 100% cotton blanket type shirt or felting/shrinking an oversized wool sweater it's probably the best one can do for windblock while keeping synthetic materials to a minimum.

CwmRaider

Post by CwmRaider » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:46 pm

@Lhartley if you're looking for cheap the varusteleka Särmä windproof anorak checks a lot of boxes
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/ ... orak/60199
It is almost certainly with the price it is sold for.