Struggling to fit Merrell boots to Chouinard bindings

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
DonPickle

Struggling to fit Merrell boots to Chouinard bindings

Post by DonPickle » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:19 pm

Edit/Update: I managed to get the left boot into the binding with nothing more than adjusted foot angles and some cursing, and I only had to take 1-2 mm off the outsole of the right boot (not even the duckbill, but further back around the ball of the foot). I waxed them up with a $2 clothing iron from goodwill, and they have been a blast! Thanks!

Howdy folks,

Classic XC skier here, looking to try backcountry with some gear off of Craigslist. (Note: I bought the skis and boots separately.)

I have a pair of Merrell "730" boots, that say "Nordic Norm, 75 MM" on the bottom of the sole. I'm trying to use them with a pair of Tua Toute Neige 205 skis, with Chouinard bindings. The binding seems too small to allow the duckbill of the boot to get far enough forward for the holes to engage the pins. I've even taken the boots off and have tried to assemble them while on my hands and knees, to push with extra force.

Can anyone enlighten me on the following:
-Is there some sort of subtle binding size system that I'm overlooking?
-Can I simply rasp a bit off the outside edges of the boot to get that last 1 cm forward? (Open to other homemade solutions)
-What is the problem here and what is the proper solution?

Any help is most appreciated! I've been lurking on this forum for a few months and have really enjoyed the history on here.
IMG_0556.jpg
IMG_0553.jpg
Last edited by DonPickle on Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Struggling to fit Merrell boots to Chouinard bindings

Post by fisheater » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:29 am

Although the Chouinard bindings eventually became a binding that accepted a more beefy boot, yours must not.
That Merrill boot you have looks in good condition, and looks like a boot that was favored by many people.
While you can do whatever you please to your books, I would be reluctant to file those boots. I will add, that I don’t believe the boot modifications would be significant.
What I would do is buy a new binding, but I like Xcd skiing with a downhill bent. My binding of choice is the Rottefella Super Telemark with cable. However for ease of cable removal, and for fitting thicker soles, the Voile 3-pin cable will be the easier, safer choice. The cable offers a lot of longitudinal support going downhill, and the tension will also help you get the ball of the foot on the ski. Bottom line is that cables help 75 mm bindings turn better downhill.
….Or carefully file the boot. Although I’m sure there is some old Merrill lover out there that will be shedding tears!

paulzo
Ski style: multi-day touring

Post by paulzo » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:48 am

Leather boots with a traditional welted sole rather than a molded sole always have variations. And those Chouinard bindings had longer sides than some, so the critical fit area is larger. I worked in a few outdoor shops back in the 80's, and we sometimes had to grind new boots a bit to get them into the bindings. Usually didnt take much. We did it with a belt sander, which was quick. But a rasp or file will get you there eventually.

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland

Post by Capercaillie » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:15 pm

Before grinding anything - are you putting the left boot in the left binding and the right boot in the right binding? 75mm bindings are sided.

DonPickle

Post by DonPickle » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:22 pm

Thanks for the quick replies, everyone!

W/r/t sidedness, these bindings aren't labeled so I wasn't sure which went to which, though neither boot fit in either side. I've since learned that the ski leash goes on the outside, so in my photo they are indeed switched.

I also found this thread on Chouinard bindings, and a post that references the first run being 2 mm too small. Seems like that could be the case? https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=5061

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:30 pm

My 2¢ ditch the bindings, don't mess with those boots. If those boots fit well they may serve you well for years with this ski and other skis you acquire. That is a well made boot. Fisheater's suggestion is a good one, but if you are looking to save a little money, you can get a Voile Mountaineer 3 pin binding for 80 bucks. I recently got a set on sale for 60. It won't have the cable option, which is desirable on any ski you might want to use for downhill pursuits, but it a very good binding nonetheless. Better the that Chouinard. You can get the Voile 3 Pin Cable binding for $145.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:41 pm

Before you buy a different binding, or rasp the soles... try those Merrell's (never heard of a '703', but they sure look like the venerable 'XCD's) in some other binding. I've skied those Chouinard's with a few different leathers like that and haven't found them to run small, but I trust the post in the linked thread (by FDG) if he said the first batch had that problem, though I never heard that at the time.
Also, there's no way of identifying yours as first batch or not, so do a little testing before you make any decisions. If the binding is indeed at fault, problem is identified and you have options. If it turns out the soles are a little wide (as has been noted, not uncommon), and you want to stay with the Choinard's (and they are excellent 3 pins, which I still ski), then some light rasping should do the trick. I've done that a few times, even with plastic boots, which also are not 100% consistent.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:46 pm

I have Tua Wilderness in 185cm which are supposedly the same as Toute Neige. Fun skis with a very flat camber. One of my favorites, would love to find a longer pair

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:56 pm

Those boots look like merrel ultras, an excellent boot.I have owned 2 pairs. I have the same Chouinard binding on a set of woodies.
I tried to put the merrels into the bindings and with some force was able to get the boot forward enough to seat the pins, but the duckbill was too thick to close the bail.
I wouldn't fool with this too much,why take a chance on ruining an otherwise good boot or binding. I have voile and rottefella st bindings and I really like the rottefella st. Good luck, whatever you do. As a side note,I have this same ski, the Black Diamond version which has Rainey superloop bindings.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:17 pm

Not sure if this is related but piggy backing on this thread. If the older 3 pins required removing material for proper fitting, would a thinner duckbill such as the alaska work on ultralight vintage 3 pin like this? I don't need anything sturdy for skiing the backyard pastures so I want to ski these bindings, don't ask it's just something I wanna try but none of my 75mm will fit. "FInn
Grip Polar"bindings, something I pulled off a family hand-me-down and want to use it for personal significance. Also, looking for a reason to buy 75mm alaskas.
Alico really doesn't do it for me. Regards. Lucas
20240115_201133.jpg