breaking the bellows

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
twopass
Favorite Skis: Tatra Gopher High 12's
Favorite boots: Red Wing

breaking the bellows

Post by twopass » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:22 pm

Better with cables underfoot or on the side?
"I really have had enough of illogical detraction by association as a way of avoiding logical argument by an absurd extension of ad hominem argument to third parties."

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: breaking the bellows

Post by fisheater » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:58 pm

Underfoot allows the use of wider diameter, and longer length springs. More metal is more powerful. I always thought there was a definite feeling even with the Superloop,let alone the Hammerhead. Isn’t Hammerhead on #5 a standard of reference for a reason.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:07 pm

It will also largely depend on the pivot point location, whether cable or underfoot. As well as spring tension and stiffness.

twopass
Favorite Skis: Tatra Gopher High 12's
Favorite boots: Red Wing

Post by twopass » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:00 am

In this case the SWB 2 hook anchors on outside of toepiece are visibly further back (and toe piece is longer on side of boot sole) than where the cables come out from underneath the toe piece on the BDO2 bindings they're replacing.

FWIW I had found this -
O2.... the underboot position of cable and cartridges compromise torsional rigidity on harder conditions, even with the stiffest cartridge." - Skiing Magazine '06

Which is why I asked.
"I really have had enough of illogical detraction by association as a way of avoiding logical argument by an absurd extension of ad hominem argument to third parties."