Either I am right or the sizes are wrong.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
John Dee

Either I am right or the sizes are wrong.

Post by John Dee » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:00 pm

ARE SKI BOOT sizes a completely different beast from SHOE sizes?

I had the notion that Mondo size was the interior SPACE of the boot, not the length of your foot. This started when I followed the instructions for a leather ski boot manufacter to measure my foot (25.9, 26.25mm) and add 1.5cm. This is about 27.5cm. So am I stupid? No, every conversion chart I can see shows my US and EU size as Mondo size as 27.5.

Most look like this:

Fast foward, and I am buying my first plastic boot with Mondo sizing. I can't find my tape measure with centimeters (I since have, ok here is some laziness). I remember the number 27.5, but the charts make me think 27.5-28. I see a used pair of Garmont Syner-G 27.5 and buy them.

So anyways, I'm not going to go over the whole range of first and second impressions with these well used boots and liners, but what is happening, am I a 26.5, or a 27-27.5?

By the way, I would describe my fit in the SHELL of the 27.5 Syner-G as a loose two finger fit (toes slightly touching the front), but I'm not exactly sure what how a finger test is supposed to feel on the contour of the heel and boot.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Re: Either I am right or the sizes are wrong.

Post by Nick BC » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:08 am

The mondo size is dictated by the length of your foot, not the shell. With toes touching the front of the boot one finger behind is a performance fit with one and a half fingers giving a more relaxed fit. With a comfortable two finger behind your shell is probably too big. Baking the liner can solve part of that, but you may have a problem with the location of the bellows in relation to your foot.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:47 am

What I'm not seeing in your post is your US shoe size. What size shoes you wear may vary slightly depending on the company; the most accurate way to determine your true US size is to get measured on a Brannock (sp?) device for regular street shoes. This will also determine what your arch length is, which may not match your length measurement.
Where I'm going with this is knowing your true size can then translate to mondo sizing with some reliability. That's a good starting point, after which you can reference the boot company's chart to see how they match the US and mondo sizes.
So, do you know with certainty what your US size is?

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:50 pm

I stood on a brannock device (NO SOCK). It says I'm an 8 1/2 E. Sucking up my manlihood, it actually makes sense with my overall stature that I'm a size, 9, even though I can't wear any shoe that says size 9 on it. I"ve probably been sizing my shoes for width all this time, not length.

So I am probably in the 26-26.5 shells, not the 27-27.5. I'm very hesitant to go with my exact size, 26, because of width (or maybe the 26 liner will accomadate as much as the 26.5?). Someone also said a tele boots needs a little space to move.

So here I am returning both of the used boots I bought, thinking "I won't do that again", but then I buy a pair of new 27.0 orange Black Diamond Seekers for $150. I'm expecting the same size shell (27-27.5) but with a new and smaller liner that may make them work. The guy can't ship them until Friday and said if I want to change my mind at any point, let him know.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:01 am

I don't know the size breaks for the BD shells, so can't speculate on that, but it would be worth finding out. For instance, a 27 shell in a Scarpa is the same for 26.5/27, or a 9.5, whereas in a Garmont a 27 would be 27/27.5.
I measure a 9.5; wear a 27 Scarpa. In Garmonts, I wear a 27, but they're kinda big for me... but if I go down a size they don't feel right. BD's, I haven't tried on since they first came out, but as I recall I'd have worn a 27.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:49 pm

You might also consider baking thicker thermoformable liners. The baking will make additional space where you need it, so if the shells are a bit big everywhere but width, it could be a way to get a good fit. Just be sure to follow all the instructions to get a good result.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:18 pm

phoenix wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:01 am
I don't know the size breaks for the BD shells, so can't speculate on that, but it would be worth finding out. For instance, a 27 shell in a Scarpa is the same for 26.5/27, or a 9.5, whereas in a Garmont a 27 would be 27/27.5.
I measure a 9.5; wear a 27 Scarpa. In Garmonts, I wear a 27, but they're kinda big for me... but if I go down a size they don't feel right. BD's, I haven't tried on since they first came out, but as I recall I'd have worn a 27.
Does any brand besides Scarpa break on the half size?

What is your feet in CM? I was thinking based on the loose two finger fit that I would be in the smaller 26-26.5 Garmont Shell. But then I bought these BD 27.0s because I hoped that a smaller and brand new liner would fill it up, and put my BOF in an acceptable location. And I think I can flip them easily if theyre too large.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:32 pm

spopepro wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:49 pm
You might also consider baking thicker thermoformable liners. The baking will make additional space where you need it, so if the shells are a bit big everywhere but width, it could be a way to get a good fit. Just be sure to follow all the instructions to get a good result.
Then you would expect the baffles to be in a less than ideal spot?

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:57 pm

John Dee wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:32 pm
spopepro wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:49 pm
Then you would expect the baffles to be in a less than ideal spot?
Idk… I’m less sensitive to this than some (I also ski slightly long scarpas for width) and I think the angled baffle helps a bit. But it would be hard for me to be sure.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:33 pm

"What is your feet in CM?"

Just a hair under 27cm (mut over 26.5). I only know the size breaks with Scarpa and Garmont, not sure about BD or Crispi.