Asnes Quiver addition advice sought

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
User avatar
Hyalite
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:53 pm

Re: Asnes Quiver addition advice sought

Post by Hyalite » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:49 pm

mca80 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:19 pm
Brian,

Welcome. Kettle Morraine is beautiful, but definitely not as consistent snowfall as in the past. But the area around Bozeman is nice too.

You said you now mostly stick to never groomed or rarely groomed trails. So basically hiking trails more or less? Do they get lots of use from other skiers? Snowshoers? That will of course make a difference as to whether your snow is fresh, untouched and deep, or helped along in consolidating by others' use, and which in turn will determine what ski might be best.

I have a Nansen and Finnmark (which is an edgeless Gamme), both in 190cm (I am 5'4" and weight varies from 135 to 155 depending on how much beer and exercise--I sized up from Asnes' reco and for my athletic ability and goals I am glad I did, these are all relatively easy skis to get good kick on so long as sizing is close and your technique is adequate). The Nansen flex profile and camber are such that it's not going to be a very quick k&g ski on any snow condition. It is, however, very capable or at least adequate in all conditions, very fun downhill especially with some open space, and likely floats a little more than Gamme/Finnmark. Nansen is a very forgiving ski and it was recommended to me by the good folks here as my first waxable base bc xc ski, and was an excellent suggestion. I later wanted something I could go faster on and that tracked a little straighter, and without edges because I feared hitting my dog, and the Finnmark fit that bill. But as @lilcliffy stated the quick efficient k&g attributes of Gamme will be rendered null in really deep snow, so it all depends on what your trails are like I suppose. When I am looking for cruising speed on particular hiking trails that are flat and gently rolling with very occassional short steep sections, and get some use by other skiers and snowshoers, I usually take the Finnmarks (which would be even better with the edge, as Gammes, when these trails have had recent use by others). My typical terrain is rolling hills and lake country, i.e. think Vilas County. Either boot/binding setup you have will be fine for any of the skis mentioned in this thread.
Thank you for your (and all others responses). This particular response has caused me the very necessary process of examining my local haunts for preffered days out. Hyalite Canyon is well, a canyon with a creek running right next to the road, elevation around 6,000 ft plus. Snow is “cold smoke”, typically very dry and wen deep dumps happen one can find the bottom of said dump instantly. To better answer your question though, the trails are like old logging roads, the lower elevation are maintained and have the typical color coded signage. They are groomed but not oftentimes in perfect condition for the race type of skier, together with the snow being low humidity the get beat up quickly. One must endure skiing uphill/Mtn for 40 minutes on washed out tracks or to the sides where fresh snow exists or go up what folks snowplow when descending. Dogs, families, everything. Even AT folks heading up high to some glades, steep glades. So I must endure (bad word for such amazing landscape) crud to get to the non groomed roads where there is usually some tracks put in or remnants of them covered in fresh snow. It snow a lot up there. It’s up on the non groomed trails that I spend my time, then drop back down on/through the beat up but still soft mashed down snow. So I need to climb, I’d like to have improved glide vs the E88’s (even just a lighter rig underfoot that persuades me to get after it a bit) and it would be cool but not absolutely necessary to have a ski I can tele turn on better than the current boards. Does this help?

User avatar
spopepro
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:15 pm

Re: Asnes Quiver addition advice sought

Post by spopepro » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:49 pm

I know your terrain well. I’ll be there in a couple of weeks, but for the elevator shaft, the hangover and upper greensleves. At least that’s the tick list for now.

I think you’re not going to find both an increase in k&g and sufficient downhill performance from what you have. I think if you’re staying on the trails and in the valleys you might consider the mountain race or the gamme. These are legitimately fast skis that can manage some turns, especially in the MT cold smoke. The ingstads will properly turn and feel like a legit downhill ski much of the time, but give up a bit on the flats. I’d probably pick the mountain race-and in fact it was the ski I brought to the canyon last time I was out there. But my goal was more about the approach to the back of canyon climbs and not the tour itself so I was fine with xc style downhill technique.



User avatar
Hyalite
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:53 pm

Re: Asnes Quiver addition advice sought

Post by Hyalite » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:08 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:24 pm
@Hyalite

My advice must be taken with a grain or two of salt as the conditions I encounter are quite different. We don't fet quite as much snow as you but I will still share my experience with some Asnes skis. My most used skis is the Sverdrup which is only 56 underfoot and 76 at the tip and they would not be my ski if choice if by any chance we received a big snow dump. In that case I would go for the Ingstad. Back to the Sverdrup... I am mentioning this ski as they are pretty good at K&G and they turn extremely well in soft snow. I skied them in over 4 inches is snow on a quite a firm base and it was a blast for the time those conditions remained. It's the ski I choose when I go for a long tour.

The OP wrote : I’m left drooling for a pair of good waxable skis that I can actually kick and truly glide on. Hoping to be able to cover more distance and all the while enjoy myself more for maintaining a decent fitness level year around.

My suggestion might be way off the OP target but that is what I could share with my own experience with Asnes skis. I might be wrong but my feelings are that the Ingstad and the E88 are maybe not different enough? My advice is based on the assumption that he would not ski in knee deep snow... if so forget about everything I wrote :lol:
Thank you, you’re helping me to better understand my options here. When we have a dump, the E88’s work well for stability, climb well with the fish scales, and k&g like a floaty bunny hop kinda vibe, they inspire confidence on the way down but are kinda point em down and lean the way I want to go. They do not turn well imo and I cannot tele on them easily, especially in the deep. It kinda sounds to me that because of the topography and snow type and amount of it that there is no do it all ski on any day, always some significant give and take. I’m trying to wrap my tiny brain around this all, lots of info but I need to get ordering something to try soon or I’ll miss out. On days where it hasn’t snowed significantly for a couple days I need this new ski I’m dreaming of. On dump days I can get by on the E88’s. I can always find areas to jump into fresh deep snow even on non dump days. Maybe I’m getting somewhere here. Sverdrup? I “think” I need a ski that will climb even if it’s with a skin because I always have climbing to do. I need a ski that will handle that climb through a variety of beat up snow in the higher use areas. I want a ski that offers up some additional speed on the non groomed secondary trails where I love to be, but remains to be kinda stable vs skinny skis and nnn style tennis shoe boots. An improved k&g feeling, and if this ski would be fun to do some tele turns on the way back down, then I may have found one to try to order. Tele turns even on the aforementioned scrubbed off powder on the lower abused trails would be a fun way to scrub off speed vs one ski in the track and the other doing a snowplow. Help!



mca80
Posts: 958
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:24 pm
Location: Da UP eh
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Re: Asnes Quiver addition advice sought

Post by mca80 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:12 pm

This is far beyond me but it sounds like a couple solid reco for MR. Calgary Norseman has this ski, not sure what size, no idea if anyone in Eur does. If I were in those shoes I would snap up this ski from Canada before it's unavailable. "When it hasnt snowed significantly" you will fly on mr48 better than any other Asnes or Fischer (bc, not race) ski.

Tele turns, no reason you can't do on floppy boots and skinny skis.



User avatar
Hyalite
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:53 pm

Re: Asnes Quiver addition advice sought

Post by Hyalite » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:18 pm

spopepro wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:49 pm
I know your terrain well. I’ll be there in a couple of weeks, but for the elevator shaft, the hangover and upper greensleves. At least that’s the tick list for now.

I think you’re not going to find both an increase in k&g and sufficient downhill performance from what you have. I think if you’re staying on the trails and in the valleys you might consider the mountain race or the gamme. These are legitimately fast skis that can manage some turns, especially in the MT cold smoke. The ingstads will properly turn and feel like a legit downhill ski much of the time, but give up a bit on the flats. I’d probably pick the mountain race-and in fact it was the ski I brought to the canyon last time I was out there. But my goal was more about the approach to the back of canyon climbs and not the tour itself so I was fine with xc style downhill technique.
Weather is forecasted for warm for some time to come, overnight temps aren’t helping the ice either. You may have the Sphinx and maybe not. Sounds like IceFest for you? Instead of the trade routes may I recommend Cleo’s, Dialectric Breadown and Dribbles? For early ice on slow forming years the cold corner of Elevator Shaft and Twin Falls might work. TF is good sharp end warm up for early season. Enjoy and thanks for the tip on the Mtn Race. Brian



User avatar
spopepro
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:15 pm

Re: Asnes Quiver addition advice sought

Post by spopepro » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:36 pm

Hyalite wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:18 pm
spopepro wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:49 pm
I know your terrain well. I’ll be there in a couple of weeks, but for the elevator shaft, the hangover and upper greensleves. At least that’s the tick list for now.

I think you’re not going to find both an increase in k&g and sufficient downhill performance from what you have. I think if you’re staying on the trails and in the valleys you might consider the mountain race or the gamme. These are legitimately fast skis that can manage some turns, especially in the MT cold smoke. The ingstads will properly turn and feel like a legit downhill ski much of the time, but give up a bit on the flats. I’d probably pick the mountain race-and in fact it was the ski I brought to the canyon last time I was out there. But my goal was more about the approach to the back of canyon climbs and not the tour itself so I was fine with xc style downhill technique.
Weather is forecasted for warm for some time to come, overnight temps aren’t helping the ice either. You may have the Sphinx and maybe not. Sounds like IceFest for you? Instead of the trade routes may I recommend Cleo’s, Dialectric Breadown and Dribbles? For early ice on slow forming years the cold corner of Elevator Shaft and Twin Falls might work. TF is good sharp end warm up for early season. Enjoy and thanks for the tip on the Mtn Race. Brian
Post ice fest, so now that I count weeks it’s more than a couple. I’ve been up twin falls in some seriously backmelted and spooky conditions… the tick list is about stuff that I just really enjoy climbing. We will go wandering a bit for the rest of the time. But we always have a good time in the canyon.



User avatar
JohnSKepler
Posts: 510
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:31 pm
Location: Utahoming
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free
Occupation: Rocket Scientist

Re: Asnes Quiver addition advice sought

Post by JohnSKepler » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:07 pm

Your conditions sound similar to mine in Northern Utah. Canyons with roads up to skiable areas, then ski back out. I like the Gamme for this since I can ski in on the groomed track and expend a lot less energy. But, it’s not a ski for deep snow. In that case, if it is an up, going in and an down, coming out, with some fresh powder I’ll use the Falketind 62. Asnes calls it a fjellski but it is only barely. Opinions vary but I find it holds a grip wax pretty well and has surprisingly good K&G for so much sidecut. If it gets steeper, put on an Xskin and you can still get some K&G. I built a full length skin last year and there’s nowhere it won’t go.

It also descends really well with a hard Xplore flexor and Alfa Free boots. I’m putting a set of 75mm with hardwire using inserts for use with Garmont Excursion boots to let me access more challenging terrain.

I did a skimo race with this ski last year and got my ass kicked, mostly because I didn’t have full-length skins. But it was great on the downhill. That’s why I built the full skins. Lots of people here have this ski in a variety of bindings and make very good use of it.

I’m about the same demographic as you but have lost both my ACLs so every time out is a thrill!
Veni, Vidi, Viski



User avatar
Musk Ox
Posts: 508
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:53 am
Location: North
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves
Occupation: Eating lichen, walking about

Re: Asnes Quiver addition advice sought

Post by Musk Ox » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:07 am

It's very interesting to see such different opinions about the same skis.

The Mountain Race 48 is really great on loose snow on top of a consolidated base. That's where it really shines. I think the official weight charts are slightly conservative, and if you're on the cusp of two lengths, go for the longer one.

The MR48 isn't great for climbing on deep snow. I'm not sure of the technical reason. Obviously, they're very light and narrow. You just drive them down into the snow and it gets a bit exhausting. But then, obviously this isn't a ski for deep snow, it's for flying along broken trail, fresh snow on top of old snow/ ice and for making tactical shortcuts.



User avatar
Hyalite
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:53 pm

Re: Asnes Quiver addition advice sought

Post by Hyalite » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:36 am

Montana St Alum wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:17 pm
Yeah, welcome aboard.
I went to MSU - got there in 1970!
I don't know my Asnes from a hole in the ground.
Go Cats!



User avatar
Hyalite
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:53 pm

Re: Asnes Quiver addition advice sought

Post by Hyalite » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:39 am

mca80 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:12 pm
This is far beyond me but it sounds like a couple solid reco for MR. Calgary Norseman has this ski, not sure what size, no idea if anyone in Eur does. If I were in those shoes I would snap up this ski from Canada before it's unavailable. "When it hasnt snowed significantly" you will fly on mr48 better than any other Asnes or Fischer (bc, not race) ski.

Tele turns, no reason you can't do on floppy boots and skinny skis.
Agreed, I’m intrigued by this ski now, and it might be sage advice to just pick some up before they are no longer made.



Post Reply