Asnes Quiver addition advice sought

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Re: Asnes Quiver addition advice sought

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:03 pm

Hyalite wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:53 pm
After reading about the race this guy from Cali entered it would appear that the Alaska 75 is not ideal, but I typically ski for two to three hours at a time. When I look at Varutse the XP Alaska and binding isn’t that much more than NNN-BC. I wonder if that would be a route to consider vs a new Crispi + NNN-BC. I may then migrate another XP binding to my E88’s. Hmmm
I bought the Mountain Tour 51 and I used them with Combi boots and so far it works great for the terrain and conditions that is quite different than yours. If you want to go the Asnes route you can consider the MT51 as well. It is no longer produced but I know Norseman still have some in inventory. According to Pete from Norseman they are basically the same ski and I would think tha t the main difference is simply that they are wider both underfoot as well as tip and tail. Another option for you to juggle with... :lol:

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:21 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:03 pm
Hyalite wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:53 pm
After reading about the race this guy from Cali entered it would appear that the Alaska 75 is not ideal, but I typically ski for two to three hours at a time. When I look at Varutse the XP Alaska and binding isn’t that much more than NNN-BC. I wonder if that would be a route to consider vs a new Crispi + NNN-BC. I may then migrate another XP binding to my E88’s. Hmmm
I bought the Mountain Tour 51 and I used them with Combi boots and so far it works great for the terrain and conditions that is quite different than yours. If you want to go the Asnes route you can consider the MT51 as well. It is no longer produced but I know Norseman still have some in inventory. According to Pete from Norseman they are basically the same ski and I would think tha t the main difference is simply that they are wider both underfoot as well as tip and tail. Another option for you to juggle with... :lol:
The MT51 also has a softer tip and is easier to turn, according to @Woodserson who has skied both the MT51 and the MR48 extensively.

I just ordered some MT51s myself. Now I'm just waiting for them. And for snow.

Karren Brady

Post by Karren Brady » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:08 am

Hello Brian, it sounds like you have a passion for backcountry skiing and are seeking advice on ski choices that would complement your current setup. Given the terrain you described and your preference for waxable skis, Asnes offers some excellent options.

The Asnes Gamme 54 and Nansen models are indeed popular choices for backcountry skiing. The Gamme 54 is known for its versatility and suitability for varied snow conditions, while the Nansen is a classic Norwegian ski that performs well in a range of terrain.

Another ski model worth considering is the Asnes Ingstad, which is designed for off-trail touring and has good stability and maneuverability in deep snow. The Ingstad is compatible with both 75mm 3-pin bindings and NNN-BC bindings, so you can use your existing boot and binding setup with them.

Ultimately, the choice between these skis depends on your personal preferences and the specific conditions you encounter. If possible, it's recommended to try out different models or seek advice from local ski shops or experienced backcountry skiers in your area who can provide personalized recommendations based on their knowledge of the local terrain and snow conditions.

Happy skiing and enjoy your backcountry adventures! :D

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:55 am

It’s a slippery slope you’re on…way too easy to find a reason to buy another pair…and another…and another…

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:28 pm

Hyalite wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:39 pm
Hello, this is my first post on Ttalk, so an intro. Living in Bozeman MT for the past seven years chasing snow after the prior 55 in S.E. Wisconsin. Saddened me to experience the shift in consistent snow coverage at the wonderful Kettle Morraine Forest, so I bailed and now have a nice long ski season here in altitude. My choices of where I ski have changed since arrival, from skate at a “club” atmosphere to solely seeking backcountry solace a few times a week up in Hyalite Canyon. Needless to say the terrain and snow are quite different than dear old Wisco and hence ski needs. Being older, retired, and on fixed income I prefer not to throw away money so I’m reaching out for some advice here.

I’m 63, stand 5’9” and weigh in low 150’s. Cut my teeth on waxable Splitkein “miler” boards but then over the years went the way of skate skiing. Now for the last several years I stick to the less traveled and either rarely groomed or never groomed trails that are rough in nature. I bought a set of 179 E88’s as find they work well for me in so much as I typically have climbing to do right out of the gate to get to where the rolling stuff begins, then a drop back down to the car. The e88’s climb great and glide better than they out to, but it’s more of a shuffle glide and certainly they don’t encourage me to try to get athletic with them due to the weight. Use Rotte 3 pin with Alaska boots.

What advice I’m hoping to garner here from anyone who can relate to this type of terrain and low moisture snow (lots of it) is what Asnes ski choices would compliment the e88’s. Of course ive read about the Gamme and the Nansen and I’m left drooling for a pair of good waxable skis that I can actually kick and truly glide on. Hoping to be able to cover more distance and all the while enjoy myself more for maintaining a decent fitness level year around. Lots of fresh snow, many times daily an inch or two, many times much more. If it gets real deep the e88’s work well on the downhills, but in certain ways it’s a lot to push through the snow, albeit so so stable.

Any thoughts on those two skis or others from Asnes that are waxable. I guess I’d like to stick with the same boot and binding combo, but I also have a new set of NNN-BC bindings and Fischer BC boots I could make use of if the ski would benefit from it.

Thank you all in advance for any sage advice. Brian
This is NOT sage advice. I think you bought to short of Excursion 88's. I did this with my first two XC ski purchases, and immediately turned around and bought larger pairs of each, and was happy. I didn't want a different ski, and I'm not sure that you do either in your environment. Length= float and glide, going up, down and on the flat. No other variable will give you both of those things. Your happy with the downhill performance of the E88, your underwhelmed with its float and glide, which is due to length. Asnes skis are made for Norwegian conditions, they're all narrower and will sink like a rock. Fischer has a made a XC ski for your area, and you already own it.

The only IF here is if there are prexisting tracks or you're reusing your own tracks. Then you won't need such a wide ski (but not a regular XC ski, either). Otherwise a wide ski like excursion 88 or the discontinued sbounds 112s, or something like that, and certainly longer, 179 for an sbound and 189 for a E88.

I actually have no experience with skiing in your area. I just now that I've been enjoying the narrower model of Traverse 78s in 8-16 inches of snow and know that the Excursion 88 is the next step up. Its also the widest XC type ski that is widely available, and there's probably a reason for that. None of the things you've said have made me think that you'd want a different type of ski or especially anything made by Asnes.

Hyalite

Post by Hyalite » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:28 pm

Karren Brady wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:08 am
Hello Brian, it sounds like you have a passion for backcountry skiing and are seeking advice on ski choices that would complement your current setup. Given the terrain you described and your preference for waxable skis, Asnes offers some excellent options.

The Asnes Gamme 54 and Nansen models are indeed popular choices for backcountry skiing. The Gamme 54 is known for its versatility and suitability for varied snow conditions, while the Nansen is a classic Norwegian ski that performs well in a range of terrain.

Another ski model worth considering is the Asnes Ingstad, which is designed for off-trail touring and has good stability and maneuverability in deep snow. The Ingstad is compatible with both 75mm 3-pin bindings and NNN-BC bindings, so you can use your existing boot and binding setup with them.

Ultimately, the choice between these skis depends on your personal preferences and the specific conditions you encounter. If possible, it's recommended to try out different models or seek advice from local ski shops or experienced backcountry skiers in your area who can provide personalized recommendations based on their knowledge of the local terrain and snow conditions.

Happy skiing and enjoy your backcountry adventures! :D
Karen, thanks for the input, yes I truly do seek out the backcountry almost exclusively and have read everything I could read about the Gamme, Nansen and Ingstad. But based on my terrain, snow type/temp, and existing E88, I chose the Sverdrup in a 190. Toiled with 185 but realize my 179 E88 always seems short, so 190 it is. Picked up a XP binding set and ordered a couple different Alpha boots to try on tomorrow at REI here in Bozeman. If the boots feel right, I’ll mount the XP binding, if not I’ll stick with the Rottefella 3pin and use my Alaska 75’s.

Hyalite

Post by Hyalite » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:33 pm

John Dee wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:28 pm
Hyalite wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:39 pm
Hello, this is my first post on Ttalk, so an intro. Living in Bozeman MT for the past seven years chasing snow after the prior 55 in S.E. Wisconsin. Saddened me to experience the shift in consistent snow coverage at the wonderful Kettle Morraine Forest, so I bailed and now have a nice long ski season here in altitude. My choices of where I ski have changed since arrival, from skate at a “club” atmosphere to solely seeking backcountry solace a few times a week up in Hyalite Canyon. Needless to say the terrain and snow are quite different than dear old Wisco and hence ski needs. Being older, retired, and on fixed income I prefer not to throw away money so I’m reaching out for some advice here.

I’m 63, stand 5’9” and weigh in low 150’s. Cut my teeth on waxable Splitkein “miler” boards but then over the years went the way of skate skiing. Now for the last several years I stick to the less traveled and either rarely groomed or never groomed trails that are rough in nature. I bought a set of 179 E88’s as find they work well for me in so much as I typically have climbing to do right out of the gate to get to where the rolling stuff begins, then a drop back down to the car. The e88’s climb great and glide better than they out to, but it’s more of a shuffle glide and certainly they don’t encourage me to try to get athletic with them due to the weight. Use Rotte 3 pin with Alaska boots.

What advice I’m hoping to garner here from anyone who can relate to this type of terrain and low moisture snow (lots of it) is what Asnes ski choices would compliment the e88’s. Of course ive read about the Gamme and the Nansen and I’m left drooling for a pair of good waxable skis that I can actually kick and truly glide on. Hoping to be able to cover more distance and all the while enjoy myself more for maintaining a decent fitness level year around. Lots of fresh snow, many times daily an inch or two, many times much more. If it gets real deep the e88’s work well on the downhills, but in certain ways it’s a lot to push through the snow, albeit so so stable.

Any thoughts on those two skis or others from Asnes that are waxable. I guess I’d like to stick with the same boot and binding combo, but I also have a new set of NNN-BC bindings and Fischer BC boots I could make use of if the ski would benefit from it.

Thank you all in advance for any sage advice. Brian
This is NOT sage advice. I think you bought to short of Excursion 88's. I did this with my first two XC ski purchases, and immediately turned around and bought larger pairs of each, and was happy. I didn't want a different ski, and I'm not sure that you do either in your environment. Length= float and glide, going up, down and on the flat. No other variable will give you both of those things. Your happy with the downhill performance of the E88, your underwhelmed with its float and glide, which is due to length. Asnes skis are made for Norwegian conditions, they're all narrower and will sink like a rock. Fischer has a made a XC ski for your area, and you already own it.

The only IF here is if there are prexisting tracks or you're reusing your own tracks. Then you won't need such a wide ski (but not a regular XC ski, either). Otherwise a wide ski like excursion 88 or the discontinued sbounds 112s, or something like that, and certainly longer, 179 for an sbound and 189 for a E88.

I actually have no experience with skiing in your area. I just now that I've been enjoying the narrower model of Traverse 78s in 8-16 inches of snow and know that the Excursion 88 is the next step up. Its also the widest XC type ski that is widely available, and there's probably a reason for that. None of the things you've said have made me think that you'd want a different type of ski or especially anything made by Asnes.
Ya I really wish I’d bought the 189’s instead, they are a great ski nonetheless for me even at 179, just kinda poky at times, and heavy to get athletic on for me. Klunky. Got a Sverdrup to try out, would also be psyched to get the MR51 in 190 IF the price was right, otherwise it will be Gamme’s. Probably won’t buy another fish scale ski.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:13 pm

Hyalite wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:33 pm
Ya I really wish I’d bought the 189’s instead, they are a great ski nonetheless for me even at 179, just kinda poky at times, and heavy to get athletic on for me. Klunky. Got a Sverdrup to try out, would also be psyched to get the MR51 in 190 IF the price was right, otherwise it will be Gamme’s. Probably won’t buy another fish scale ski.
Excursions in particular have a lot of scale drag due to the flex profile. That plus the size, and I bet its underwhelming. Seems ok for hills.

I would really wring out the advice on length before you get more skis. I think you want a 195 or 200 of a ski like the mt51, but I'm not sure, your just a tad bit smaller than me.

Hyalite

Post by Hyalite » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:20 pm

John Dee wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:13 pm
Hyalite wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:33 pm
Excursions in particular have a lot of scale drag due to the flex profile. That plus the size, and I bet its underwhelming. Seems ok for hills.

I would really wring out the advice on length before you get more skis. I think you want a 195 or 200 of a ski like the mt51, but I'm not sure, your just a tad bit smaller than me.
I’d do just that if the time comes to grab another ski, this site is an amazing resource, I can’t begin to thank all of you folks in the community for the insights on ski beta. Look forward to participating in days and months ahead.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:25 am

@Hyalite
Curious as to where you are at with this- have you narrowed down your search for a waxabke BC Nordic touring ski?
The 179cm 88 may be a little short for you- but you don't weigh much- so it depends on context (ie terrain; snow; etc).
I personally prefer the narrower 78- as it is much lighter and faster in my application- we have both the 88 and 78 in 199cm- I would not want them shorter, but I weigh much more than you, and I am not using either of these skis in truly steep terrain.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.