Mounting XPlore Bindings?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: Mounting XPlore Bindings?

Post by Stephen » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:52 pm

Stupid short screws that come with the Xplore binding…
And yeah, those holes look like they may have been drilled over sized.
If you decide to remount with longer screws, there is the trick of warming the screws you want to remove enough to soften the epoxy, so they come out without pulling some of the core stuck to the epoxy.
Not too hot, but hot enough for them to break loose, cleanly.
Use something like a soldering iron or hot screwdriver bit, without melting anything close by!
Last edited by Stephen on Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:55 pm

AdamA wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:09 pm
Hey All,

I have a pair of FTXs mounted with 3pins. That said I am thinking about switching to the XPlore system. Any issues with the remount? Will I have to set the mount forward or back?
I’ve gone the opposite direction. Twice. No issues.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:58 am

I mounted my Åsnes Falketind 62 XP this weekend, and used the long Xplore screws for the rear two main screws. They were too long and made dimples in the sole, so I cut the tip of them and remounted. All seems fine now, the ski worked great and I do not worry about pulling the screws out.

I am only sure of the mount strength with the short screws on skis with a reinforced mounting plate, and still find them short. The long screws are too/plenty long.

Markus
Ski style: Old skool tele style, on long skinny skis (but with new boots s & bindings).
Favorite Skis: Madshus Voss wax and E109 Crown.
Favorite boots: Rossi XP12 Explore

Post by Markus » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:30 pm

Has anyone found ~20mm screws for Xplore? It seems the 21.8mm Rottefella versions may be too long for my Voss skis. Skimo places sell Dynafit 19mm torx, but those are T20 and perhaps have a narrower thread diameter. I'm converting a couple more of our skis to Xplore (because IMO it should replace all 3-pin and NNN-BC), and I would like longer screws (~20mm) for the front. I suppose I can get the 21.8 and file them down a bit. Where can I order those?
Turn baby turn, Tele Inferno!