Backpack for longer tours?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Backpack for longer tours?

Post by JohnSKepler » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:24 am

After largely unnecessary travel, a bout with COVID, seemingly constant yard and home maintenance, and a difficult full-time job I’ve spent what little remaining time I had this summer getting in shape for some longer tours this winter. I started stretching things out in distance and time into more challenging terrain at the end of last winter and found my current 22L Dakine Mission backpack was a bit lacking after adding avalanche gear.

What are you guys using for longer tours say, all-day long carrying decent food, avy gear, and winter survival supplies and gear? I’d also like a pocket or two on the belt or straps for glasses, wax, and a Payday bar and maybe a helmet carrier. I do like a hydration bladder and insulated sleeve for the tube. Carried against the back with some electrolytes I’ve not had any trouble with freezing even when quite cold. I do want a dedicated winter ski pack and don’t need it for warm weather use.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: Backpack for longer tours?

Post by phoenix » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:33 am

Mammut Nirvana Pro, 30 or 35. Ticks every one of your desired features, super comfortable to carry. I had the 35, and it was more volume than I needed, but then I wasn't carrying avy gear.

Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:41 am

MOLLE = modular. Allows goggle case, helmet carrier, digging tool, folding saw, water, etc. to be carried externally. Skis can be strapped on too.

Side, bottom loading important. Avoids weight being carried out or up (upsets balance).

Integrated camelbak helpful, provided it is in an internal pouch, close to wearer. Should be removable for cleaning, short trips, replacement. Avoid proprietary bladders. Camelbak ready only… Why? Replacement parts availability.

Chest pack for small, immediate use items (snow goggles, phone, gps, elt, flashlight, wallet, keys. Balances load. Blocks wind. First on, last off.

Fanny pack if necessary. Best for collapsible water bottle, energy bars, spare hand coverings because it can be rotated to access.. keeps weight low.

Discipline over size, thinking over impulse. A few well chosen pieces of gear (like clothing) can reduce tendency to overpack. Think long and hard about 20l and below (excursion), 40l and above (expedition).
Go Ski

lemon

Post by lemon » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:25 am

I have 3 Black diamond packs that can do about anything, the Dawn Patrol 32, Cirque 22l vest and for big days or multiple days the Speed 50. Although the new hyperlight Crux or Headwall bag may be replacing my speed 50. They are really nice looking.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:27 am

lemon wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:25 am
I have 3 Black diamond packs that can do about anything, the Dawn Patrol 32, Cirque 22l vest and for big days or multiple days the Speed 50. Although the new hyperlight Crux or Headwall bag may be replacing my speed 50. They are really nice looking.
That cirque 22l is an interesting looking pack, looks like it could be multipurposed for fastpacking too

JohnSKepler
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:34 am

Second question: How do I explain to my wife that I need another backpack? Words like "conditions" and "distance" don't seem to have any meaning to her. :)
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:41 am

Tell you need a backpack to "bring home the bacon"?

JohnSKepler
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:53 am

phoenix wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:33 am
Mammut Nirvana Pro, 30 or 35. Ticks every one of your desired features, super comfortable to carry. I had the 35, and it was more volume than I needed, but then I wasn't carrying avy gear.
Can you tell me what you like about the 30L? I've got a few pieces of Mammut gear and it's nice stuff. 30L is about what I'm shooting for. How do you think it would fit a smaller person? I'm 5'8" and shorter backpacks work better than longer backpacks. Is there any adjustability in the fit? Anything you don't like about it?
Lhartley wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:27 am
lemon wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:25 am
I have 3 Black diamond packs that can do about anything, the Dawn Patrol 32...
Same question, @Lhartley . How's the BD quality? BD quality can be excellent or just so-so since they became a globally-sourced brand. Mammut might be, too, I just don't know much about them.

Thanks, gents.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:08 am

I don’t think you can go wrong with mammut, BD, or blue ice in this space. The cirque pack is well made, but def made of lighter materials.

30L is a lot tho for a day pack. I take my blue ice 38L kume on 2-3 night trips. It’s a tight fit at 3, but unless I’m having to stuff really bulky things (like belay parka, cold sleep systems) it’s fine. My personal choice here would be the cirque.

JohnSKepler
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:21 pm

spopepro wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:08 am
I don’t think you can go wrong with mammut, BD, or blue ice in this space. The cirque pack is well made, but def made of lighter materials.

30L is a lot tho for a day pack. I take my blue ice 38L kume on 2-3 night trips. It’s a tight fit at 3, but unless I’m having to stuff really bulky things (like belay parka, cold sleep systems) it’s fine. My personal choice here would be the cirque.
I’m hoping to be ambitious enough so that an overnight bivouac is a significant enough of a risk that survival gear is a must. If I get it down I may try a planned overnighter in early spring when it isn’t so cold. 30L is big enough for that but I’ll be forced to pack efficiently.
Veni, Vidi, Viski