Changes in Fischer lineup?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland

Re: Changes in Fischer lineup?

Post by Capercaillie » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:43 am

Bohemian wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:07 am
I don't understand why they went to China for production when they had good facilities available in Czech Republic, even with a likely hike in production price/cost...
Are you sure Fischer has a factory in Czechia? They don't even seem to have a subsidiary registered there, and Czech distribution is handled by MS Sport s.r.o.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:42 pm

My first post in this thread seems to have some serious issues, you're all very nice to not have pointed anything out. I don't think I was suffering from a mental breakdown while writing it, no idea how it happened.

My understanding is the difference between 196 and 199 is due to the way the length is measured. Is the horizontally projected (196) length equivalent to the length along the base of the ski to the tip (199)?

I'm not presently looking at Fischer skis for myself but I intended to get some T78s for my wife. I'm not completely sure she would miss the short skin, shes been skiing waxless skis with only a full length skin option for years. It's more the idea of disappearing variety which worries me more.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:24 pm

CwmRaider wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:42 pm
My first post in this thread seems to have some serious issues, you're all very nice to not have pointed anything out.
Ha ha — and I thought it was just me, and my limited cognitive abilities at play!
:lol:

PS
I do like your new avatar thingy…

Bohemian
Ski style: AT, telemark, BC, XC, snowboard (alpine)

Post by Bohemian » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:05 am

Capercaillie wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:43 am
Bohemian wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:07 am
I don't understand why they went to China for production when they had good facilities available in Czech Republic, even with a likely hike in production price/cost...
Are you sure Fischer has a factory in Czechia? They don't even seem to have a subsidiary registered there, and Czech distribution is handled by MS Sport s.r.o.
See the 2nd post of the person who just bought a pair, made in China.
Werner Munter: "What is the most dangerous group in the mountains? A group of avalanche experts! The avalanche doesn't know you're an expert" ;)

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland

Post by Capercaillie » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:57 am

Bohemian wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:05 am
See the 2nd post of the person who just bought a pair, made in China.
Ok, but that doesn't answer the question of who made Fischer's last season skis. I assumed Fischer outsourced to either Sporten, LUSTi, or Head, who do have factories in Czechia.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:59 pm

Just got my skis in. Made in China. Quality seems okay. Some minor top sheet issues. This site sucks for posting pictures.

DPO777
Ski style: Cross Country, BackCountry, Out the back door Country
Favorite Skis: Karhu XCD GTs, refurbished wood top unknown skis from the 80s bought during an Alberta Snowmageddon
Favorite boots: Made in Italy 75 mil 3-Pin Alico leather boots. Put to rest Crispi leather boots.
Occupation: Retired now upgrading older ski stuff to more modern technology

Post by DPO777 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:39 pm

Bohemian wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:03 pm
So Fischer has also gone down the China route... :evil: Like Madshus and Rossignol before... In that case I'm done with this brand for new skis. I'll happily keep using my old Fischer stuff but for new (and whenever anyone asks me what to buy new) I'd be looking at Aasnes (of course at astronomical prices, made in CZ) or simple humble Sporten (also made in CZ).
If only Sporten could offer a short skin system!
Anyway I now have enough skis in good condition for myself and visitors for some years to come, no need for anything new in a while.
I wonder what other brand took the former Fischer production capacity at the factory in Czech Republic.
And I guess the Ukrainian ski factory is out of operation due to the war?
Regarding reduction in model line up: more likely a production / quality control / stock / logistics thing than a demand issue... Anyway I'm no longer interested in new Fischer skis.
You are likely aware by now that Sporten has a number of models with an integrated skin worth looking at

https://www.sporten.cz/en/products/126-ranger-skin

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:28 am

voilenerd wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:24 am
I just bought the 78s. They are made in China. No skin holes and they now come in 199 length. The older ones were 196 max.

I will post pic once the bindings show up. Currently they are at the shop.

The Sound is now only 98. I think Fischer has hacked most of their BC line. Probably due to demand and what sells.
Wow China? Fischer has a huge tree-to-ski factory in Europe, they rebuilt it from scratch in 2019 after it had burned down to cinders- Fischer has been there since the USSR days. the new factory is one of the most high tech ski factories in the world- that is where the Traverse etc came from. Problem is: this factory is in Ukraine. Though it is close to the Hungarian border and physically "safe"- they are not able to man it due to the war demands. So they have been making these skis in Czech for a couple of years at a sub-contractor, but Czech is jammed with ski orders from several makers so I guess they moved production to China ugh (with no resultant price drop to the consumer). I have the Excursion 88 built in Czech two years ago- and I am glad to have the hole for the EZ skins! It is (was?) a good system. China?...how depressing. Chinese Fischers? Not for me man. Never ever.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:42 pm

Been using Fischer's for a long time and will keep on doing so. But with throwaways, meaning nothing made in China. Bummer! TM

Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Post by Jurassien » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:06 pm

I have Madshus Nordics here, three of them in fact, with “Made in China” clearly visible on the topsheet. Likewise an alpine-touring ski from K2 (Shuksan), which had a removable “Made in China” sticker on delivery.

I have absolutely no complaints regarding any of the four.

We have a popular brand of ski here which is produced in Tunisia, of all places. Making planks to slide about on the snow is not rocket science – although the Chinese appear to be quite good at that too.