Changes in Fischer lineup?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Changes in Fischer lineup?

Post by CwmRaider » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:16 am

https://www.fischersports.com/us_en/nor ... /adventure
Main
No more excursion 88?
The top of the Traverse 78 has no ski holes. The bottom does - but the tip of both suggests a new design. A bit confusing.

voilenerd

Re: Changes in Fischer lineup?

Post by voilenerd » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:24 am

I just bought the 78s. They are made in China. No skin holes and they now come in 199 length. The older ones were 196 max.

I will post pic once the bindings show up. Currently they are at the shop.

The Sound is now only 98. I think Fischer has hacked most of their BC line. Probably due to demand and what sells.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:29 am

It makes no sense that the Transnordic 66 and the Traverse 78 have no Easy Skin.

It is interesting that in the Easy Skin video on the SB98 page, the demo ski is a black E99 wax base ski. Are we going back to the future?

The Excursion 88 is a great ski. More utilitarian than the turnier SB 98 and also faster. A great all-around ski. Having the 98 and 88 in their lineup, both 68 underfoot, was a feather in Fischer's cap and I hope they don't lose sight of this.

Bohemian
Ski style: AT, telemark, BC, XC, snowboard (alpine)

Post by Bohemian » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:03 pm

So Fischer has also gone down the China route... :evil: Like Madshus and Rossignol before... In that case I'm done with this brand for new skis. I'll happily keep using my old Fischer stuff but for new (and whenever anyone asks me what to buy new) I'd be looking at Aasnes (of course at astronomical prices, made in CZ) or simple humble Sporten (also made in CZ).
If only Sporten could offer a short skin system!
Anyway I now have enough skis in good condition for myself and visitors for some years to come, no need for anything new in a while.
I wonder what other brand took the former Fischer production capacity at the factory in Czech Republic.
And I guess the Ukrainian ski factory is out of operation due to the war?
Regarding reduction in model line up: more likely a production / quality control / stock / logistics thing than a demand issue... Anyway I'm no longer interested in new Fischer skis.
Werner Munter: "What is the most dangerous group in the mountains? A group of avalanche experts! The avalanche doesn't know you're an expert" ;)

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland

Post by Capercaillie » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:51 pm

wabene wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:29 am
It makes no sense that the Transnordic 66 and the Traverse 78 have no Easy Skin.
Last year's waxable TN66 had an Easy Skin attachment, but no waxable version this year. I don't see any reason to buy a waxless TN66 (the ski is mainly good in conditions where scales are not), and the logic of "let's make skis where we cannot upsell people on our overpriced, high-margin, consumable kicker skins" escapes me from a business point of view.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:54 pm

Capercaillie wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:51 pm
wabene wrote:
Last year's waxable TN66 had an Easy Skin attachment, but no waxable version this year. I don't see any reason to buy a waxless TN66 (the ski is mainly good in conditions where scales are not), and the logic of "let's make skis where we cannot upsell people on our overpriced, high-margin, consumable kicker skins" escapes me from a business point of view.
Agreed. Last year wasn't it just the waxable version that had the skin?

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:37 pm

Capercaillie wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:51 pm
wabene wrote:
One thing to remember is that Fischer's ski factory caught fire in (IIRC) 2019, and by the time it was almost up and running again, Russia invaded Ukraine. That led to a shortage of manufacturing capacity.

I would not be surprised to see Fischer return production to their factory in Ukraine after the war, but for now they just need to make something, somewhere. That likely results in fewer varieties being made, and simpler to manufacture models, to get enough volume to the stores.

We saw a similar thing with Asnes last year.

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:44 pm

Fischer's U.S. website has been incomplete in the past. When I saw this thread I thought that my be the issue, but I just logged into Fischer's nordic employee pro site and it mirrors what I'm seeing on the United States site.

Bohemian
Ski style: AT, telemark, BC, XC, snowboard (alpine)

Post by Bohemian » Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:07 am

I don't understand why they went to China for production when they had good facilities available in Czech Republic, even with a likely hike in production price/cost...
Werner Munter: "What is the most dangerous group in the mountains? A group of avalanche experts! The avalanche doesn't know you're an expert" ;)

lemon

Post by lemon » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:57 am

From what I heard through our rep at the ski shop I work at. No 88's this season(from the ukraine factory) but will be back for 24/25 season. If anyone needs 88s, I've got a pair for sale :)