Changes in Fischer lineup?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JB TELE

Re: Changes in Fischer lineup?

Post by JB TELE » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:08 pm

I don't understand why fischer doesn't put the EZ skin attachment on all of their BCXC skis. Yes it probably adds cost, but it's an opportunity for them to sell EZ skins.
Skinny skis like the spider have minimal grip because of their small surface area and benefit most from kicker skis which are not longer available with a universal attachment system.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:53 pm

JB, I think Fischer had a lot of production in Ukraine.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:42 am

Jurassien wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:06 pm
I have Madshus Nordics here, three of them in fact, with “Made in China” clearly visible on the topsheet. Likewise an alpine-touring ski from K2 (Shuksan), which had a removable “Made in China” sticker on delivery.

I have absolutely no complaints regarding any of the four.

We have a popular brand of ski here which is produced in Tunisia, of all places. Making planks to slide about on the snow is not rocket science – although the Chinese appear to be quite good at that too.
Madshus is owned by the US ski company K2 which was the last major company to produce skis in the US...until they moved all of their brands to Red China. I like donkeys (birds of a feather?) so I don't buy anything Chinese except fortune cookies, Their pushing-shoving tourist hoards in Lapland (aurora gazers) are quite annoying and rude as well.

Martin, a Swiss guy (from the Valais) I knew when I lived in Washington, designed the Shuskan for K2. Do you ski it with AT or TM bindings?

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:58 am

fisheater wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:53 pm
JB, I think Fischer had a lot of production in Ukraine.
A brand new factory in 2022, State of the art, then war. It ran for awhile after the war began not sure of the present status. I'd bet you that Fisher is only temporarily sourcing skis in China. Further (info from Fischer:

"Fischer has been operating a major production facility in Ukraine for over 30 years in addition to its headquarters in Ried im Innkreis, Austria. This factory is in the city of Mukachevo, located in the western Transcarpathian region of Ukraine, 750km from Kiev.

Rebuilt after a large fire in 2020, the ski production plant in Ukraine was completed and put into operation in the first half of 2022, despite the start of the war. Currently, around 100 of the employees in Mukachevo have been drafted to serve in the army. Due to the long-standing economic and personal connections with the country as well as the colleagues on site, the conflict affects Fischer economically - and above all humanly - particularly strongly."

Fischer—the world’s largest ski manufacturer—produced around sixty percent of its skis across all disciplines at the Ukrainian site, which handled ski production for several other brands as well. In all, it has been reported that a quarter of the world’s skis came out of the Mukachevo factory.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:02 pm

Thank you for that @randoskier

Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Post by Jurassien » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:53 pm

randoskier wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:42 am
.........I don't buy anything Chinese except fortune cookies
Are you sure? What about the device you typed this post on – mobile or stationary? Your television? Home electronic devices? All of them free from Chinese components/raw materials? – not to mention all that household stuff, hardware, textiles, etc. in our local supermarkets that consumers snatch up with great enthusiasm……because it’s cheaper than Western-manufactured product?

Then there’s the huge outdoor equipment/clothing industry. A lot us would be running around naked in the mountains if it weren’t for Chinese clothing.

Anyhow, If you don’t like China you can blame that Irish bugger – nobody would have found out where the place was if it hadn’t been for Marc O’Polo.
randoskier wrote:
Martin, a Swiss guy (from the Valais) I knew when I lived in Washington, designed the Shuskan for K2. Do you ski it with AT or TM bindings?
Shuksan with Dynafit bindings.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:28 pm

Lousy Irish.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:06 pm

Jurassien wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:53 pm
randoskier wrote:
.........I don't buy anything Chinese except fortune cookies
Are you sure? What about the device you typed this post on – mobile or stationary? Your television? Home electronic devices? All of them free from Chinese components/raw materials? – not to mention all that household stuff, hardware, textiles, etc. in our local supermarkets that consumers snatch up with great enthusiasm……because it’s cheaper than Western-manufactured product?

Then there’s the huge outdoor equipment/clothing industry. A lot us would be running around naked in the mountains if it weren’t for Chinese clothing.

Anyhow, If you don’t like China you can blame that Irish bugger – nobody would have found out where the place was if it hadn’t been for Marc O’Polo.
randoskier wrote:

Shuksan with Dynafit bindings.

My phone was made
I never moved to the Dynafit bindings, I have the last generation of the Silvretta bindings, they are plastic and release well. (I have the old heavy-metal ones too, lurking in my binding museum on a pair of Kneisal AT skis). But I have not been doing randonee skiing for the past 12 years or so- too crowded with all the Dynafit people out there : )

My ski pants were made in Canada by Arcteryx back when they still made their stuff in Canada, I can not believe how long they are lasting. My wool ski sweater is made in Norway in Dahle near Bergen, my Devold Merino wool shirts are designed in Norway and now made in Lithuania. My Hilleberg tent is made in Estonia. My Fischer skis in Czechia. My very thick wool socks are made in North Carolina by Thorlo. My tent poles in Korea. My jet sled molded HDPE pulk is made in America. The fiberglass poles that pull it are made in Minnesota. I am sure I have Chinese crap some place, but not if I can help it.

My cell phone was made by union iron-workers in Pittsburgh (it's a little heavy, but works well), even my Chinese food is made by Americans!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:30 pm

FYI-
Just bought a current model S-Bound 98-
It has "Austria" printed on the top sheet, but had a sticker that said "made in Ukraine".
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

DG99

Post by DG99 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:15 am

Hi all….

I bought a Fischer SBound 112, last fall. Very hard to find but a shop in Duluth MN had some on sale. Evidently too big for that locale anyways. It says made in Czech Republic. Now Czechia in English, but actually named Czeska. Is that so hard to say? Correction it’s actually Česko.

I brought the SB112 into the local ski shop for bindings and the guy remarked they’re hard to find due to the war. !! They’re off the Fischer web site but hopefully will get made for us deep and heavy snows people. Anyways maybe the choices will come back from Fischer.

Also we bought some Blizzard alpine skis recently (on a roll) and mine says made in Austria, my wife’s engineered in Austria, made in Ukraine! So a bit getting through.

I’m a big fan of Austrian skis apparently.

There was a Chinese-American standup comedian I saw, she was saying she was made in China, so can’t vouch for the quality but “at least I’m cheap”. She was kinda cute too. Ha ha.

Let’s all hope the Russians let Ukraine be ASAP.