I want a ski for leathers at the resort

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Re: I want a ski for leathers at the resort

Post by CIMA » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:40 am

I remembered an old video:

Dynastar PIERRA MENTA Rocker Carbon (160cm, 96-65-79, R22)
NNN BC bindings
Crispi Jokulen GTX nnn bc boots
He left the comment like this:
It's been a while since I had such a shocking ski. Including the bindings, the weight is 950g (per side), which translates to an otherworldly level of agility. It feels like there's no such thing as a swing moment. However, it still maintains exceptional stability even in slightly rough conditions (although it has its limits, especially in deep powder) and offers a comfortable riding experience.

As soon as you start gliding, you'll notice that it enters the turns smoothly, whether on groomed or ungroomed terrain. It's like you're being effortlessly drawn into the arcs, making it enjoyable to link turns even on groomed slopes.

With Dynastar, you can expect the board to have excellent flex, and there seems to be plenty of room to expand your skills. It looks like it's going to become my number one ski for a while.
The issue would be the mounting of bindings. Skimo skis are thin, and binding positions would be selective.
I imagine the skis will be good for groomed slopes or thin powder.
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Post by tkarhu » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:37 am

Last winter, I searched skis for similar downhill you mention, but skinning and NNN-BC. Others gave good tips: https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=57325

Back then, I skipped cheap second hand telemark skis like yellow Salomon X-Screams, red / dark Rossignol Bandit X and the above mentioned, colorful K2 She’s Pistes because they were heavy for skinning. Those models would probably work, too, if resort skiing means lift service instead of skinning. I haven’t skied the skis, but read lots of reviews back then. Others have liked the models for telemark, back in the days.

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:05 pm

spopepro wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:40 pm
JB TELE wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:25 pm
Has anyone tried tele skiing on any of the ultralight race skis for more downhill oriented backcountry skiing? Lots of skinny and expensive options there. I wonder how skiing a skimo ski with leather or 2 buckle plastic would compare to something like a fischer s-bound (a hybrid between a backcountry cross country and backcountry downhill ski)? Would it ski better or worse on the downhill?
And there there is the issue with pulling out bindings.
If you’re talking about real race skis (160 length, 65ish underfoot) they truly suck for going downhill in AT gear. I can’t imagine how awful it would be trying to tele them. I’d imagine it would rate better than track skis, but worse than anything with any xcd pedigree.

But in general—very very light skis are very stiff. I do not like the feel of tele on very stiff skis.
That's what I figured, thanks for confirming it for me.

So it seems like skinny downhill (non skimo) skis don't exist anymore outside of the used market. And most of them are quite old. I'll see how my 70mm waist k2 skis do on groomers this season with my merrell ultra boots. It will be a good comparison to my s-bound 98s, which are great on groomed runs when the snow is soft and it's actively snowing but skitter all over the place on hardpack.

tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Post by tkarhu » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:56 am

JB TELE wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:05 pm
So it seems like skinny downhill (non skimo) skis don't exist anymore outside of the used market. And most of them are quite old. I'll see how my 70mm waist k2 skis do on groomers this season with my merrell ultra boots.
That seems true for alpine skis. Sounds like a good plan! Would like to hear your experiences later on.
JB TELE wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:05 pm
It will be a good comparison to my s-bound 98s, which are great on groomed runs when the snow is soft and it's actively snowing but skitter all over the place on hardpack.
This comparison sounds great, too. Light BC / AT skis might not be that nice for worn-out resort pistes anyway… Can second hand, heavier alpine skis actually be nicer for norpine than current best BC models? Well, I am planning to ski my new 196 cm Falketind Xplores at resorts anyway, when necessary.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:21 pm

I had a S-112, I skied it at resorts. It was all I had at the time. I could ski black runs, I just had to make rounder turns and really keep speed down as the ski had no torsional rigidity. It would sound like a snowboard when on edge, and it just would not hold well pushed hard.
The original Falketind was much more torsionally rigid. However it was also very soft longitudinally. I could count on it at speed on edge. The problem with the Falketind being soft is that the ski would get bounced all over by any type of mankiness. Crud or heavy snow, granular groomer till, would have the tips and tails flapping like a flag in the wind! For me, I still preferred having a ski I could trust on edge to the torsional noodle S-112. I never skied the S-112 after acquiring the Falketind.
The Falketind Xplore doesn’t have any of those issues. It is competent at the resort. The caveat being, it is a very light backcountry ski. You just can blow down the hill in general resort conditions, as you could on a heavy resort ski.

TallGrass

Post by TallGrass » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:05 pm

Sell your ThighMaster and ShakeWeight...

Erik H
Ski style: Resort Tele, Nordic Backcountry/XCD, and skate
Favorite Skis: Fischer Adventure 62
Favorite boots: Salomon NNN combi boots

Post by Erik H » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:56 pm

JB TELE wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:07 pm
I picked up these today for a steal. K2 Shes Piste. 70mm underfoot. I'm betting they will be better than my noodley s-bound 98s on firm snow, but would something 55-60mm underfoot with the same stiffness be better? I'm still on the hunt for some really skinny old school downhill teles.

I'll put some touring bindings on these and see how they do for earn your turns type touring in leathers on medium density consolidated powder, which my s-bound 98s are already great at.

My Mom used to have a pair of skis just like those that she sold quite a while back, could even be the exact same pair! I do see my Dad's old skis go through the Durango Outdoor Exchange every few years

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:23 pm

Erik H wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:56 pm
JB TELE wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:07 pm
I picked up these today for a steal. K2 Shes Piste. 70mm underfoot. I'm betting they will be better than my noodley s-bound 98s on firm snow, but would something 55-60mm underfoot with the same stiffness be better? I'm still on the hunt for some really skinny old school downhill teles.

I'll put some touring bindings on these and see how they do for earn your turns type touring in leathers on medium density consolidated powder, which my s-bound 98s are already great at.

My Mom used to have a pair of skis just like those that she sold quite a while back, could even be the exact same pair! I do see my Dad's old skis go through the Durango Outdoor Exchange every few years
One of my friends thinks that these Skis were owned by her college professor at Fort Lewis College who taught a tele class.