I want a ski for leathers at the resort

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
3pin.ski

I want a ski for leathers at the resort

Post by 3pin.ski » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:51 pm

I'm in Michigan and I like to keep our small hills interesting. I have a pair of scaled Madshus Panorama 68's, Rotte Super Tele binding. Boots: Alico leathers, Super Comps and T4s all do a good job with that ski. Leathers are fun for the 210's Tua's as well.

What I want is a skinnier ski for the resort, great with the turns and sans the scales. Leathers all the way with a 3pin and the OG voile plate binding. I literally bought the Voile plates so I could justify another pair of skis! Don't let me down.

I'm feeling very pulled to the Asnes Rabb 68. They look a little tricky to find in the states. Any recommendations?

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Re: I want a ski for leathers at the resort

Post by mca80 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:23 pm

3pin.ski wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:51 pm
I'm in Michigan and I like to keep our small hills interesting. I have a pair of scaled Madshus Panorama 68's, Rotte Super Tele binding. Boots: Alico leathers, Super Comps and T4s all do a good job with that ski. Leathers are fun for the 210's Tua's as well.

What I want is a skinnier ski for the resort, great with the turns and sans the scales. Leathers all the way with a 3pin and the OG voile plate binding. I literally bought the Voile plates so I could justify another pair of skis! Don't let me down.

I'm feeling very pulled to the Asnes Rabb 68. They look a little tricky to find in the states. Any recommendations?
Asnes Nansen. Classic old school profile in every respect. Depends, though, what you mean by "skinnier."

P.S. troll or yooper?

Edit: keep in mind I am lunatic fringe and also new to both xc and xcD. Last year was my first time doing parallel and tele turns on nordic gear, in western UP. I picked up the basics quickly, by innate ability and lots of practice / drills on 40ft bc hills. I mostly used Nansen 190 (I am 162) with nnnbc and Alpina 1600s. I swapped for this season though, got Rotte ST cable on those skis along with Alico Ski March, beef it up a bit, and may purchase Porkies season pass for 225 usd to get more practice. If going old school go all the way I say. Have not skied Rabb, read reviews, will definitely turn a lot easier with more sidecut and some rocker but I wonder if all the width (well, compared to Nansen) may not be as good for groomed resort. Heck if I know. I have fun on Nansen in light gear on greens and blues, freshly groomed or 5 or 6" fresh on top. I may try and find some woodies suitable for downhill and get to work on those with leathers, no cable, and a lurk.

Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:15 pm

Lives in Alden. Says so on his profile.

Resort means crud… all part of the artificial snow, natural snow, freeze-thaw machine groomed deal. So think about something with a bit of weight to it and reasonably damped. That rules out anything with carbon sheet or Norwegian rocker. Otherwise, the chatter will drive you nuts with a light boot underneath.
Go Ski

mca80

Post by mca80 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:22 pm

Manney wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:15 pm
Lives in Alden. Says so on his profile.
Where's that? If you took the time to look at his profile you can take the time to google map it for me.

Manney

Post by Manney » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:26 pm

Michigan side. Near Traverse City.

Didn’t need to look it up. Look at his avatar. Scroll your eyes down.
IMG_0835.jpeg
So much for my rep of having ESP. Cats out of the bag. Mad reading skillz. LOL
Last edited by Manney on Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Ski

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:29 pm

I’d personally look for an older pair of K2 work stinx in good condition.

But if you’re looking to spend some cash… I’d buy a pair of ski trab gavias. 85mm under foot, softer flex than most skis of this type (most skinnier downhill skis these days are stiffer than stiff) and great in nearly all conditions. Another choice could be the voile endeavor, provided that ski handles crud better than the objective (which it should, but only a few people have skied it).

Manney

Post by Manney » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:31 pm

^^ This.
Go Ski

mca80

Post by mca80 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:40 pm

When did 85mm underfoot become "skinny?"

You people don't listen. OP said he was riding Madshus Panorama 68 and wanted a skinnier waxless ski and you go recommwnd an 85mm ski.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:06 pm

mca80 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:40 pm
When did 85mm underfoot become "skinny?"

You people don't listen. OP said he was riding Madshus Panorama 68 and wanted a skinnier waxless ski and you go recommwnd an 85mm ski.
I assumed “skinnier for the resort” meant skinnier than what others are skiing at the resort, not skinnier than the skis OP listed, which are more XC oriented. A skinny resort ski these days is 75-85mm underfoot (and has been for a while.) Sadly… it’s actually kind of hard to find skis in this size these days that feel good to ski. Most skis in this range now are designed for light touring and mountaineering, weigh very little, are stupid stiff, and ski marginally whenever the snow is poor. About 20 years ago you’d have had a wide selection, which is why my first thought is to save some cash and go back to the future.

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:14 pm

I skied leathers at the resort last season with s-bound 98s. They were great for soft snow conditions, but icey groomers or chopped up refrozen stuff on a powder day were sketchy. The skis were a bit too noodley and wide for hard snow and I couldn't hold an edge. Not sure how much the boots contributed to that.

I would like to find a stiffer skinny downhill ski for firm snow. They used to be made, but I don't think anyone is currently making a stiff, downhill focused skinny for leather telemarking. I'm keeping an eye out for any good condition used ones.

I wonder if you can go wider in leathers as long as the ski is stiff? Haven't tried that. I've seen a lot of older downhill tele skis in the 70mm underfoot. I wonder if those would be better on hard stuff than my s-bound 98s (69mm underfoot).