I want a ski for leathers at the resort

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JB TELE

Re: I want a ski for leathers at the resort

Post by JB TELE » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:07 pm

I picked up these today for a steal. K2 Shes Piste. 70mm underfoot. I'm betting they will be better than my noodley s-bound 98s on firm snow, but would something 55-60mm underfoot with the same stiffness be better? I'm still on the hunt for some really skinny old school downhill teles.

I'll put some touring bindings on these and see how they do for earn your turns type touring in leathers on medium density consolidated powder, which my s-bound 98s are already great at.

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:27 am

The collection of a telemark expert:
Skinny skis for leather boots

I'd get back to basics and dream of skiing elegantly like this:
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:30 am

I'd say wait for some snow and ski those She's Piste's for a while; take a break from worrying about which ski. Those Piste's are very user friendly. same ski as the Piste Stinx with "women's" graphics, maybe just a tad bit softer. They'll be a lot more fun than a longer, skinnier, stiffer ski.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:31 pm

wabene wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:35 pm
Nick BC wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:33 pm
Another suggestion is Hagan Pure 75. I have the predecessor Ride 75 which I ski with Rotte 3PC and Alaskas. I don’t actually ski it at the resort, but on firmer snow it does OK with a leather boot. It’s made in the Fischer factory and is around 2.5 kg in a 163 so not super light but a bit of heft is probably better for resort conditions.
Hello Nick, what do you like using that Pure 75 for? What is it best at?
I use it in the North Shore Mountains of Vancouver, mainly at Hollyburn Mountain. Hollyburn (actually part of Cypress Mountain Resort) has a very hilly XC centre with one trail (Romstad) which extends about half way up to the peak. I have an XC pass so I ski the XC trails climbing to the top of Romstad and then carry on the bc route to the top. I use a mini ski 45mm wide extending from ski tip to boot heel to the top of the XC area and then switch to full skins. The days with firmer conditions the ski does great especially skiing out the down hill XC trails. However, on days with more snow I’m on Scarpa TX/TTS/Vector BC.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:36 pm

Nick BC wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:31 pm
wabene wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:35 pm
Nick BC wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:33 pm
Another suggestion is Hagan Pure 75. I have the predecessor Ride 75 which I ski with Rotte 3PC and Alaskas. I don’t actually ski it at the resort, but on firmer snow it does OK with a leather boot. It’s made in the Fischer factory and is around 2.5 kg in a 163 so not super light but a bit of heft is probably better for resort conditions.
Hello Nick, what do you like using that Pure 75 for? What is it best at?
I use it in the North Shore Mountains of Vancouver, mainly at Hollyburn Mountain. Hollyburn (actually part of Cypress Mountain Resort) has a very hilly XC centre with one trail (Romstad) which extends about half way up to the peak. I have an XC pass so I ski the XC trails climbing to the top of Romstad and then carry on the bc route to the top. I use a mini ski 45mm wide extending from ski tip to boot heel to the top of the XC area and then switch to full skins. The days with firmer conditions the ski does great especially skiing out the down hill XC trails. However, on days with more snow I’m on Scarpa TX/TTS/Vector BC.
Beautiful terrain Nick! So you like it for firm conditions and maybe the less steep sections? Being so light does it lack high speed stability and get kicked around some?

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:17 pm

Not in my experience. There is a partial sidewall at the centre of the ski and the torsional rigidity is good. Comparing to the Rossi BC 110’s and Guides I owned previously they are streets ahead, particularly in Spring snow. It wasn’t until I bought a pair of G3 Stinger BC, an AT ski with scales that I realized the shortcomings of the usual Madshus, Fischer and Rossi air core offerings.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:30 pm

"She's Pissed" sounds like most of my relationships. Hope it skis better than it sounds.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:21 am

E99's and 109's. 65-55-60 and 78-60-70 and 82-60-70. longer and wider in consideration of age. ((99 or transnordic whatever because of the feel. Wicked feel. TM

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:25 pm

Has anyone tried tele skiing on any of the ultralight race skis for more downhill oriented backcountry skiing? Lots of skinny and expensive options there. I wonder how skiing a skimo ski with leather or 2 buckle plastic would compare to something like a fischer s-bound (a hybrid between a backcountry cross country and backcountry downhill ski)? Would it ski better or worse on the downhill?
And there there is the issue with pulling out bindings.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:40 pm

JB TELE wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:25 pm
Has anyone tried tele skiing on any of the ultralight race skis for more downhill oriented backcountry skiing? Lots of skinny and expensive options there. I wonder how skiing a skimo ski with leather or 2 buckle plastic would compare to something like a fischer s-bound (a hybrid between a backcountry cross country and backcountry downhill ski)? Would it ski better or worse on the downhill?
And there there is the issue with pulling out bindings.
If you’re talking about real race skis (160 length, 65ish underfoot) they truly suck for going downhill in AT gear. I can’t imagine how awful it would be trying to tele them. I’d imagine it would rate better than track skis, but worse than anything with any xcd pedigree.

But in general—very very light skis are very stiff. I do not like the feel of tele on very stiff skis.