I want a ski for leathers at the resort

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Re: I want a ski for leathers at the resort

Post by Nick BC » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:33 pm

Another suggestion is Hagan Pure 75. I have the predecessor Ride 75 which I ski with Rotte 3PC and Alaskas. I don’t actually ski it at the resort, but on firmer snow it does OK with a leather boot. It’s made in the Fischer factory and is around 2.5 kg in a 163 so not super light but a bit of heft is probably better for resort conditions.

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... =40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:52 pm

Have you checked out Dave’s Nordic Backcountry Skis?

https://web.archive.org/web/20151002150 ... D%20SCHOOL

I’ve seen some of these skis on EBay. K2 Piste are quite common.
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:30 am

I had a conversation regarding the Rabb 68 at Norseman yesterday. It’s a ski I considered for what you’re doing when I was looking a couple of years ago. I ended up getting a Rossi BC120 as the Rabbs they had in stock at the time were too short.

The Rabb is lighter (and smaller dimensions) than the BC120 however that little bit of heft on the Rossi is useful for dealing with crud. It seemed to me in the store yesterday that the Rabb was more flexible than the BC120 sitting next to it.

I mounted them with a Switchback X2 binding. I think it’s been a bit of a compromise for me as it’s allowed me to ski a little harder in a plastic boot whilst still using a leather boot when I was in the mood. I think it was too much of a ski/binding combo for the Alpina 75’s I had but the Fischer Transnordic 75’s I bought seemed a little burlier and capable the one time I got out on them (pretty much gave up on resort skiing- too many people, ridiculously expensive, and finding the local hill gets over skied thus too icy).

I’ve continued using them on the occasional vertical journey that involves a little touring. For awhile I experimented with using kick wax instead of skins for some traction. I had varying degrees of success (Swix Blue days were the most successful) but in the end came to the realization that in my part of the country kick waxing was a crapshoot so I’ve gone the skin direction for my forward and upward mobility. There’s times I wish I had the Xskin option as it would’ve been more convenient and adequate for my ascension.

At this point I’m uncertain as to what direction I’m going with the BC120. I’m somewhat tempted to swap the Switchback X2 for a Super Telemark binding I have and see how they ski with that.

3pin.ski

Post by 3pin.ski » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:32 pm

Touring or vintage is sounding like the option…80-85 underfoot is a lot of ski to edge with a soft boot? I’ve tried on something like 105 and it was a super painfulI experience in leathers. I would think you’d want to avoid a really stiff ski, just too much to drive. A softer, light slalom ski!! Race skis are so heavy. Even new skinny carvers in the 70’s underfoot often max out lengths under 160/170cm.

Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:38 pm

3pin.ski wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:32 pm
Even new skinny carvers in the 70’s underfoot often max out lengths under 160/170cm.
?????
Go Ski

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:44 pm

3pin.ski wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:32 pm
Touring or vintage is sounding like the option…80-85 underfoot is a lot of ski to edge with a soft boot? I’ve tried on something like 105 and it was a super painfulI experience in leathers. I would think you’d want to avoid a really stiff ski, just too much to drive. A softer, light slalom ski!! Race skis are so heavy. Even new skinny carvers in the 70’s underfoot often max out lengths under 160/170cm.
I don’t know for sure, but I think you’re seeing rental/beginner skis at the “skinny and short” end of things. Personally I’d not go higher than 85 (105 does sound like a lot!) but I’d bet it would be ok depending on the boot. Of course, not all leathers are the same and the same ones aren’t even the same with time and wear.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:09 pm

Hello 3 pin ski, I am from the lower peninsula. I have skied in leathers (Ski March) and both the original Falketind and the new FT X. I have also skied in leathers and an S-112. The S-112 was the worst by far, that light weight laminated core was a torsional noodle. I find it difficult to believe the Madshus versions are much better on the refrozen groomer tilled surfaces that are common at lower peninsula resorts.
For me mid seventy mm underfoot is about the limit. For Asnes that would be a Nosi. I don’t think they make a Nosi in a 188 ish cm size. I personally want a ski that size in a lighter ski. Skimo.com has quite a few mid 70 mm offerings for new skis, but they are all lightweight skis.
There are older skis like the recommended K-2, that are under 80 mm underfoot that would work great as well.
I will ski my Ski March, Super Telemarks, and Falketind X, when the snow is good. When conditions are refrozen till, I’ll ski my T-4 and Tindan which is a much more robust ski. However as others have said, those more robust skis are usually mid 80 mm underfoot and wider these days.
Good luck!

Manney

Post by Manney » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:20 pm

We wonder why skis today are chatter bots. Look no further than materials. Paulownia and poplar are light and strong but nothing compared to maple and ash, which were the laminates of old. Much stronger in bending resistance and torsional resistance. Heavier too, so well damped.

Today, additional strength in poplar, paulownia laminates is often aided by a carbon layer. The result is a skis that is stiff and light… which are qualities that don’t do well in crud at all. Manufacturers can get around this by adding rubber sheets etc. This increases weight, which runs against marketing interests (lightness sells).

@spopepro’s initial advice was the wisest. @Nick BC touched on it too when he spoke of “heft”.
Go Ski

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:28 pm

"Touring or vintage is sounding like the option…80-85 underfoot is a lot of ski to edge with a soft boot?"

Yup, with the possible exception of some of the old double leathers (for that period between break in and break down). I was going to point this out in regards to the Work Stinx; it was a good all rounder for me, but with plastic. They're heavy, too. But then there was the mention of the Piste's, which I was going to add: The old red Piste Stinx, specifically. Very forgiving, agreeable ski, which could probably be driven with a pair of solid leathers.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:35 pm

Nick BC wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:33 pm
Another suggestion is Hagan Pure 75. I have the predecessor Ride 75 which I ski with Rotte 3PC and Alaskas. I don’t actually ski it at the resort, but on firmer snow it does OK with a leather boot. It’s made in the Fischer factory and is around 2.5 kg in a 163 so not super light but a bit of heft is probably better for resort conditions.
Hello Nick, what do you like using that Pure 75 for? What is it best at?