Dumb wax question

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
ddg

Dumb wax question

Post by ddg » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:04 pm

Anyone tried grip was on waxless skis? Just to provide an extra bit of grip for some skis/conditions.
Derrick

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Dumb wax question

Post by bgregoire » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:08 pm

ddg wrote:Anyone tried grip was on waxless skis? Just to provide an extra bit of grip for some skis/conditions.
Yup. Its a good idea if you are slipping, but on the tip and tail only though. No grip wax of the scales!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:41 pm

Yes- for me- on the tip only- up to 8" or so ahead of the waxless traction pocket. Your weight transfer is forwards, on the "kick" phase (i.e. more like kicking a soccer ball, than kicking backwards). Your weight is full on the heel, in the "glide" phase. If you put grip wax behind the traction pocket- it will gradually smear it onto the glide zone of your tail. I hot wax the glide zones of my tips/tails. If the snow conditions are very slippery- I don't mind extending grip wax ahead of the traction pocket- unlike on the tail- the grip wax will stay where you want it..

Not a dumb question at all- and rarely, rarely discussed. Waxless skis "don't need to be waxed"- right? ;)
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:51 am

Uh-er.....Sometimes and lightly, wax will be applied to the "Bones"....Old bones need help and wax will fix them....Wanna work as little as possible on the up....TM

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:43 am

How about using kicker skins instead if you need extra grip?
I have been doing that.
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

ddg

Post by ddg » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:44 pm

bgregoire wrote: ...but on the tip and tail only though. No grip wax of the scales!
Why not on the scales? Because of this?...
lilcliffy wrote:If you put grip wax behind the traction pocket- it will gradually smear it onto the glide zone of your tail.
Why not a very light coating on the front half/quater of the scales?
Derrick

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:17 am

Knee bone is connected to the....anyway waxing the "bone" pocket...is the double camber pocket...which breaks away on the down ....so no problem.....Wouldn't do that if you get new zillion dollar skis but for old beaters like we ski.....CIMA depends on everything but we like the lightness of ski unobstructed....even shuffling and sliding up works better with less resistance...(oldies need all the help we can get!)....TM

ddg

Post by ddg » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:48 pm

Related question... What is a decent set of glide waxes for waxless skis? Is the "SWIX FLUORINATED GLIDE WAX" in violet, red, blue a good choice. I'm looking for a low hassle procedure. :| What do you do between waxes - just give a good brush with a fine nylon brush? Or is something cheaper like this just as good.
Derrick

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:35 pm

IF you are looking for a low-hassle glide wax, you might like a paste wax like from FastWax: http://www.skifastwax.com/alpine-ski-wa ... 0-blue-60g

It ain't cheap, but a tin lasts me a couple seasons and it works great and is quite durable IME. Rub it in, cork it smooth, and brush with brass and/or nylon brush.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:05 pm

ddg wrote:
bgregoire wrote: ...but on the tip and tail only though. No grip wax of the scales!
Why not on the scales? Because of this?...
lilcliffy wrote:If you put grip wax behind the traction pocket- it will gradually smear it onto the glide zone of your tail.
Why not a very light coating on the front half/quater of the scales?
Grip wax needs to be polished or "corked" into the base in order for it to for the wax to adhere to it. There is no way to polish the wax into the traction scales- the grip wax will quickly rub off on the snow- a waste of time.

The grip wax will also fill in the grooves or "valleys" in the traction scales- reducing their effectiveness.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.