Does the Voile Transit Make any Sense???

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bobbytooslow

Re: Does the Voile Transit Make any Sense???

Post by bobbytooslow » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:31 pm

I have a pair of the Transits. They're great. I mean, in a lot of ways, a TTS is a TTS is a TTS. Once you're in it, the way it skis is really just all about the geometry (and having adequate spring travel, more on that later). An Olympus Mountain Gear TTS that's set up perfectly for your needs will ski better than a Transit that's not.

But the devil's in the details. Inadequate spring travel will hamper your technique and blow up your skis. The Transit comes with longer springs than any previous TTS (except Moonlight, whose springs were manufactured by Voile). The Transit toe piece, made by Plum, has beautiful snap action and zero slop. The heel throw was designed to play nice with a wider variety of boots, like the Scarpa F1 and also has geometry optimized for sitting on top of the heel lug (rather than lower down in a 75mm boot's heel groove). The cable can be easily removed without tools for long ascents or for activity changes.

tl;dr The Transit is by far the most polished TTS to hit the market. I had a lot of fun on mine last year, and expect to this year as well.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:37 pm

Oh that’s awesome the toes are plum. I haven’t skied a ton of AT gear, but I love my plum bindings. That was a good choice.

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:16 am

bobbytooslow wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:31 pm
I have a pair of the Transits. They're great. I mean, in a lot of ways, a TTS is a TTS is a TTS. Once you're in it, the way it skis is really just all about the geometry (and having adequate spring travel, more on that later). An Olympus Mountain Gear TTS that's set up perfectly for your needs will ski better than a Transit that's not.

But the devil's in the details. Inadequate spring travel will hamper your technique and blow up your skis. The Transit comes with longer springs than any previous TTS (except Moonlight, whose springs were manufactured by Voile). The Transit toe piece, made by Plum, has beautiful snap action and zero slop. The heel throw was designed to play nice with a wider variety of boots, like the Scarpa F1 and also has geometry optimized for sitting on top of the heel lug (rather than lower down in a 75mm boot's heel groove). The cable can be easily removed without tools for long ascents or for activity changes.

tl;dr The Transit is by far the most polished TTS to hit the market. I had a lot of fun on mine last year, and expect to this year as well.
I guess you were on a beta test pair? Can you say to what you had them mounted? I'm thinking about putting some quiver killers on my Objective BC so I can go back and forth between the Xplore and Transit. Or would the Transit and a heavy boot be too much for the Objective. (Just a Padawan. Still have much to learn, master.)

Also, what do you mean when you say "perfectly set up for you needs"? I am enjoying learning about Telemark and am especially interested in longer approaches and low to medium angle downhill in powder. What would set up for my needs mean in that context? And how would I know, prior to acquiring such a binding if I had adequate spring travel? The Transit is not an inexpensive binding and I'm not terribly interested in then having to go out and replace my boots. I'll be on the lookout for an F1 or F3 but until then, I'll be on a TxPro. If anyone comes across a F1 or F3 in a US8/EU42/Mondo25, please let me know!

My wife is already shaking her head, expecting tall, skinny boxes to be showing up any day. Haha, boots and bindings come in much smaller boxes.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

jtb

Post by jtb » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:49 pm

JohnSKepler wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:16 am
I'm thinking about putting some quiver killers on my Objective BC so I can go back and forth between the Xplore and Transit.
The Transit/TTS and F1 or F3 would pair great with an Objective. That's what I use for the majority of my skiing. A TXP would be too much boot for that ski. Of course any telemark binding voids the warranty on an Objective, but you already know that since you have one. It's a great ski and should hold up. Using quiver killers will help reduce the chance of ripping a screw out of the core.
JohnSKepler wrote:
Also, what do you mean when you say "perfectly set up for you needs"?
The most important variables with TTS are the distance/height of the spring pivot from the toe pins, and the length and stiffness of the springs. The Transit ships with long-travel, stiff springs, and they recommend a mounting point for the pivot that covers the most common use cases. Once mounted, you can swap out different springs and switch between 3 pivot distances without having to re-mount the binding.

It's possible to get a good baseline by knowing what binding someone is accustomed to and considering the skis and boots they're using. Since you're coming from Xplore and want to use Objective/F1/F3, I would guess you'll end up using the most forward (neutral) slot for the spring pivot. From experience I've found I prefer a softer and more neutral binding than most, so I would mount the pivot block a little forward of the recommendation and swap in softer springs. But you should ski them a bit before making that kind of decision.

bobbytooslow

Post by bobbytooslow » Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:17 pm

JohnSKepler wrote:
what do you mean when you say "perfectly set up for you needs"? I am enjoying learning about Telemark and am especially interested in longer approaches and low to medium angle downhill in powder. What would set up for my needs mean in that context? And how would I know, prior to acquiring such a binding if I had adequate spring travel? The Transit is not an inexpensive binding and I'm not terribly interested in then having to go out and replace my boots.
Getting a 75mm boot to flex nicely is pretty easy, since you have the giant duckbill being held down to the ski. Lift your heel, and it flexes. In a tech toe tele binding, lift your heel and the toe just pivots on the pins. Resistance from the heel cable applies a compressive (i.e. "shortening") force on the boot sole, thus making the boot flex. The character of this flex is dependent on 1. The size & inherent flex properties of the boot 2. The location of the heel cable pivot relative to the toe pins 3. The stiffness of the springs 4. the amount of preload applied to the springs (i.e. how hard you have to snap them on).

Just to give two end-member examples: My well-loved F1 Carbons are very flexible. I can use softer springs and a forward ("neutral") cable pivot point, and I get a very pleasing "ball of foot on the ski" flex sensation. My TX Pros are a good bit stiffer, so I need stiffer springs and a more aft ("active") cable pivot point to "break the bellows" and achieve a pleasing flex. This ends up using much more spring travel, so I need longer travel springs to get low with my TX Pros.

JohnSKepler wrote:
Can you say to what you had them mounted? I'm thinking about putting some quiver killers on my Objective BC so I can go back and forth between the Xplore and Transit. Or would the Transit and a heavy boot be too much for the Objective.
As others have said, quiver killers will void the Voile warranty. Depending on your technique, the size/condition of your boots, and the activity level (pivot location) that you find you prefer, you may still bottom out your springs before knee touches ski. Bottomed-out springs and ultralight skis are a bad combo. In other words, I would not combine a TX Pro, TTS, and Objective, unless you like long walks out of the backcountry. Voile is making a ski called the Endeavor with the same dimensions as the Objective, but with burlier construction. That would be a better match for TX Pros. Or the trusty Ultravector.

I've had my Transits on some old Salomons, no issues but I've been using F1 & F3. I know this isn't a readily available option. Fingers crossed the new Scarpa tele boot will be unveiled at ISPO Munich in late November, for sale next fall. That will hopefully be a better match for TTS than TX Pros. Good on Voile for getting out ahead of things.

bobbytooslow

Post by bobbytooslow » Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:24 pm

jtb wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:49 pm
The Transit ships with long-travel, stiff springs, and they recommend a mounting point for the pivot that covers the most common use cases. Once mounted, you can swap out different springs and switch between 3 pivot distances without having to re-mount the binding.

It's possible to get a good baseline by knowing what binding someone is accustomed to and considering the skis and boots they're using. Since you're coming from Xplore and want to use Objective/F1/F3, I would guess you'll end up using the most forward (neutral) slot for the spring pivot. From experience I've found I prefer a softer and more neutral binding than most, so I would mount the pivot block a little forward of the recommendation and swap in softer springs. But you should ski them a bit before making that kind of decision.
Just to clarify, the pivot block on the TTS Transit is all one piece with the toe riser, so the three cable pivot slots are a fixed distance from the toe pin line. There isn't a way to mount the pivot block more forward or aft like there was with the Olympus Mountain Gear TTS. That said, a lot of R&D went into determining those fixed distances, and they should cover almost all use cases.

jtb

Post by jtb » Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:34 pm

bobbytooslow wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:24 pm
Just to clarify, the pivot block on the TTS Transit is all one piece with the toe riser, so the three cable pivot slots are a fixed distance from the toe pin line. There isn't a way to mount the pivot block more forward or aft like there was with the Olympus Mountain Gear TTS. That said, a lot of R&D went into determining those fixed distances, and they should cover almost all use cases.
Oops, my mistake! Thanks for clarifying. In that case I'm pretty sure you'd never use the back 2 pivots in an ultralight setup.

satanas

Post by satanas » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:46 am

bobbytooslow wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:17 pm
Fingers crossed the new Scarpa tele boot will be unveiled at ISPO Munich in late November, for sale next fall.
^ Is there any reason to believe this might actually happen, or just optimistic thinking??? If there's no new boot with better ROM and less weight soon then IMHO telemark will become an even more seriously endangered species than it is now.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:28 pm

I had my first outing on my Transit binding, F-1 Race boot. Now I spent a little time on some Rainey Superloops a hundred years ago. I have some Vices mounted to my old favorite alpine ski, but that ski was just too stiff for me to turn two footed. I never could appreciate the Vice, because I couldn’t bend the ski.
So since 2012 the most active set up I’ve had is T-4 and Voile 3-pin Hardwire. Who needs more than that, right??? Well all I can say is the difference is incredible! I was so much faster edge to edge. I know the F-1 Race is supposed to be a soft touring boot, but for a guy used to leather or a T-4 the difference was light years!
The funny thing is I spent 4 hours on the rig, and never pushed it. I’m still a little cautious. Maybe like I might be if I got behind the wheel of an 800 horsepower super sports care.
I’m really impressed. I skied at the most neutral position. I am sure that Outlaws and TXP are much more powerful. I am quite pleased with Transit and F-1 Race.

TA1

Post by TA1 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:11 am

I have the Kreuzspitze TeleAlps kit set up using Kreuzspitze Telecable standard springs and SCTT toepieces. And crampon attachment . Put it together back in 2020 and use it every season during spring for BC and occasional spring resort laps. Has been great . Has been very bomber / durable and trouble free with seemingly great build quality/ engineering/CNC machined components. Provides me the 75MM feel that I prefer and great skiing and power delivery that TTS system tech toes provide. Ski with my Scarpa TX pros 307 BSL in middle position. I tele low and never feel like I am bottoming out/ hitting wall. Has 3 activity positions to select that seem pretty well calibrated relative to spring travel/BSL combos . I find the middle position works seamlessly for me . Easy to change positions if needed . Just have to remove top plate (4 machine screws) . No removing binding from ski . Never felt the need to change positions during an outing. Never have whatever BC tele setup I have used. This is set it and forget it IMO. Parts are available direct or through various retailers , if needed . Anyway, any opinions on advantage to the Transit as compared to the Kreuz ?

I am a long-standing Voile fan. Currently have Charger Ace and Hypervector BC and X2 set up in my quiver. Just trying to determine if any benefits to the new TTS from Voile. Seems to be almost identical in layout/ features/components of the Kreuzspitze.