Does the Voile Transit Make any Sense???

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Does the Voile Transit Make any Sense???

Post by JohnSKepler » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:10 pm

So far we know that the Transit, while being a simple binding, is not an inexpensive binding. It is being touted as a lightweight, robust binding for backcountry Telemark touring. But, especially for the price, don't now if it makes any sense to me.

I think it looks like a great binding but, as far as I know, it can only be paired with a (heavy) Scarpa or Crispi plastic boot with a tech toe. To me this seems a lot like replacing the CroMoly seat post bolt on your mounatain bike with a titanium seat post bolt. Yeah, it weighs a few grams less. So.

With those heavy plastic boots can you really get any advantage from the Transit? Yeah, it's lighter. So. I may be completely off base here, but without a lighter boot, I'm not sure I'm going to be interested.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

spopepro

Re: Does the Voile Transit Make any Sense???

Post by spopepro » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:36 pm

It’s a chicken or egg thing… word is scarpa is continuing to sit on their better tech toe tele boot because the binding situation is anything but sorted. So who blinks first? It’s probably the binding makers as they don’t have to invest in (many) different sizes.

But in a general sense I somewhat agree that the whole TTS thing is somewhat dead because there is no 1000-1200 boot on the horizon, and there’s only so many old lemon F1s out there.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:40 pm

I’m pairing it with a new, old stock, F-1 Race. It is lighter than my T-4, more ROM as well. I am curious if the tech toe will offer a noticeably tighter interface between the boot and ski. Possibility of release is an interesting concept, although I still believe in falling properly. If something breaks in you, you did it wrong. Not to suggest the previous statement applies to anyone but me. I have relocated a couple of bones, and had a few stitches over the years, I don’t always fall correctly.
The thing about the Transit, is that Voile is putting it in a package off the shelf. People have been build their own TTS systems for years. Maybe if I mount a Transit and learn a bit about the system, I will attempt to assemble
my own system with a better releasing toe piece in the future.

Also, I would think, but don’t know from experience, that a TTS system is less prone to packing with snow in the backcountry than both Meidjo and Lynx.

So basically I don’t know sh t, I’ll let you know how it works out!

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:42 pm

Yes, I found an F-1 Race. I still would like to find an F-3!

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:47 pm

Glad it works for you fisheater… I’m a little jealous. I also found f1 races… and found they do not agree with my feet at all.

jtb

Post by jtb » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:27 am

Keep in mind the benefit of TTS is not just in the lower weight. It also has a zero-resistance tour mode without having to lift or flex any part of the binding on each step. The transition from ski to tour mode is simple and instantaneous, which is a huge win when paired with scaled skis. And it resists icing and boot jack better than any other telemark binding in tour mode. This is probably the biggest benefit of TTS that doesn't show up in carpet testing or a short tour, but makes a world of difference in practice. It's true that pairing TTS with TXP's negates the weight benefit, but you still get the other benefits over Lynx, Meidjo, Outlaw X, or 75mm bindings.

TTS really shines when paired with lighter boots like F1's or F3's. I can't do all-day tours comfortably in F1's, but I love my F3's. F3's are basically lighter T2's with better ROM. F3's were still available new old stock until fairly recently, and are pretty abundant on used gear sites in Europe.

bobbytooslow

Post by bobbytooslow » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:47 pm

Really the question is "Does TTS make any sense?"; the Transit is merely the first off-the-shelf version that has all the bugs worked out. I think TTS makes a lot of sense. 100% of my ~70 ski days last season were on it, from scaled-ski meadow-skipping to lift-serve hard-charging.

Yeah it's a fair point that the TX Pro and Crispi boots aren't the perfect match. The OG F1 is a perfect match, and the F3 and TX are really good too depending on your use case. The forthcoming new Scarpa tele boot should be excellent as well. Someone had to "blink" first, so all the credit in the world to Voile for diving in, even though the perfect boot doesn't currently exist at retail.

But even if the TX Pro isn't the perfect boot, I'd still prefer to use it with a TTS than with a Meidjo or Lynx (both of which I own and find very good). A TTS is cheaper, has fewer parts to break, is more field-serviceable. experiences less snowpacking, and can be made lighter for climbing. If one desires, a TTS can be configured to have downhill performance on par with any TTN binding.

I will die on the hill that telemark as a sport would be in a different (better) place if TTS had been the Norm replacement for 75mm rather than NTN. But that's a whole other thread...

JohnSKepler
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:29 pm

fisheater wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:40 pm
I’m pairing it with a new, old stock, F-1 Race. It is lighter than my T-4, more ROM as well. I am curious if the tech toe will offer a noticeably tighter interface between the boot and ski. Possibility of release is an interesting concept, although I still believe in falling properly. If something breaks in you, you did it wrong. Not to suggest the previous statement applies to anyone but me. I have relocated a couple of bones, and had a few stitches over the years, I don’t always fall correctly.
The thing about the Transit, is that Voile is putting it in a package off the shelf. People have been build their own TTS systems for years. Maybe if I mount a Transit and learn a bit about the system, I will attempt to assemble
my own system with a better releasing toe piece in the future.

Also, I would think, but don’t know from experience, that a TTS system is less prone to packing with snow in the backcountry than both Meidjo and Lynx.

So basically I don’t know sh t, I’ll let you know how it works out!
Good, sir, to what will you be attaching the Transit? I've been thinking of trying it on an Objective BC but Voile's got a new BC ski on the way, too. Can't remember the name...
Veni, Vidi, Viski

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:14 pm

I’m mounting the Transit to a Summit Cone Pariah. The boot could definitely be heavier, but I am a backcountry guy. I’m buying a piste oriented ski, to ski at the ski hill, but dipping my toe into TTS at the same time. It’s not a match made in heaven, but my heaviest boot is a T-4. I’m really pleased with the F-1 as far as dry land testing, so I’m glad I bought it. I will see how TTS skis, and make further evaluations from there. The sad thing is if I come across an F-3, I would buy it too!

JohnSKepler
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:11 am

fisheater wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:14 pm
I’m mounting the Transit to a Summit Cone Pariah. The boot could definitely be heavier, but I am a backcountry guy. I’m buying a piste oriented ski, to ski at the ski hill, but dipping my toe into TTS at the same time. It’s not a match made in heaven, but my heaviest boot is a T-4. I’m really pleased with the F-1 as far as dry land testing, so I’m glad I bought it. I will see how TTS skis, and make further evaluations from there. The sad thing is if I come across an F-3, I would buy it too!
I really like the look of that SummitCone Vagabond. I may get a set just for the top sheet and mount them on my wall. What a beautiful ski! I wasn't just thrilled with the V6 or the Meidjo last year. That Vagabond BC97 with a Transit binding might just be the bomb. And maybe, some day, Scarpa will release their light weight Tele boot...

The question for me would be, 165cm or 171cm. My use case would be almost entirely off piste and BC. I really like my short Objectives. It's just two inches difference to I'm thinking maybe the 171?

Any experience with SummitCone scales? I do prefer scales for backcountry use. I understand there is a wide range of performance between various scale designs and implementations.
Veni, Vidi, Viski