Does the Voile Transit Make any Sense???

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: Does the Voile Transit Make any Sense???

Post by Stephen » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:15 pm

jtb wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:27 am
Keep in mind the benefit of TTS is not just in the lower weight. It also has a zero-resistance tour mode without having to lift or flex any part of the binding on each step. The transition from ski to tour mode is simple and instantaneous, which is a huge win when paired with scaled skis. And it resists icing and boot jack better than any other telemark binding in tour mode. This is probably the biggest benefit of TTS that doesn't show up in carpet testing or a short tour, but makes a world of difference in practice. It's true that pairing TTS with TXP's negates the weight benefit, but you still get the other benefits over Lynx, Meidjo, Outlaw X, or 75mm bindings.

TTS really shines when paired with lighter boots like F1's or F3's. I can't do all-day tours comfortably in F1's, but I love my F3's. F3's are basically lighter T2's with better ROM. F3's were still available new old stock until fairly recently, and are pretty abundant on used gear sites in Europe.
I like my Meidjos just fine, but towards the end of last season, when it started warming up, I was having huge problems with icing. Like having to chip out packed snow on every run.
I tried a few different fixes, like low friction tape, without any real success.
IMG_8685.jpeg
IMG_8687.jpeg

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:25 am

Howdy,

I might be a little bias. 😂

But here is my 2 cents. I have a few different binding options in my quiver for my downhill focused bc setup. Ranging from 3 pin, Switchback, Axle, Lynx, Voile TTS. Out of all the bindings I prefer the Voile TTS and second place is the Switchback. NTN is a great platform but the main problem is the bindings are way too active and I found them impossible to ski in spring conditions due to the binding sitting too close to the ski and creating boot Jack. I even had problems in cold January deep powder and NTN was more of hassle due to snow build up. Tried everything from tape, silicon spray, you name it.

Reason why I love my Voile TTS it feels very similar to my Switchback and is lighter when in going up. I pair it with my Scarpa F3s. I have no issues with snow build up and the binding simply works. The toe on the Voile TTS is however rather archaic with the manual toe. I have never fell out of the binding. But with the new Transit coming out it will be a treat.

Axel is a great binding but I recently removed it from one of my skis. It’s just too heavy slogging around. If it was as light as the Switchback it would be my second favorite binding.

So with all that said, if you mainly ski backcountry and considering the Transit don’t buy the transit until you can find a pair of Scarpa F3s. Other wise wait on the next Scarpa boot and continue to ski your 75mm. Just my 2 cents.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:17 pm

Curiousity-

Disclaimer→ I have yet to try any form of TTS binding...

Has anyone found the physical limits of the tech toe in a TTS binding system?

I understand how a tech AT binding works in "ski" mode- as it is clamped at the heel as well as the tech toe.

But, I struggle to understand how a TTS binding- with a "borrowed" AT tech toe can withstand the physical forces of a modern Telemark boot and binding...

NTN I get.
TTS I don't...

Has anyone broken TTS setups? Or do the physical forces just reach a pount where the toe just "pops"/breaks out of the tech toe? (FYI- I have pushed Rottefella's Xplore reverse-tech toe to the point of "release"- it didn't break, but I think there was a bit of damage/stress to the binding and the boot interface that will eventually weaken it ovetime...)

I understand how TTS "works"- and would like to try it- I guess I don't understand how it is strong enough at the limits of modern Telemark skiing...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

jtb

Post by jtb » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:11 pm

If anything, tech toes have too much retention in a TTS configuration, rather than not enough. I have seen cases of spiral tib/fib fractures on TTS. I have not seen cases of pre-release, except on adjustable tech toes where the DIN setting was too low. The reason they retain so well is because under flexion, the springs push the boot down into the well of the toe piece, which increases the retention. The easiest a tech toe will release is when there is no spring tension at all, i.e. the foot is flat on the ski with minimal preload on the springs. That is when it's possible to experience pre-release, in my experience. But that's really only an issue if you're not applying pressure on your toes, like straight-lining hard pack in the back seat. It's easy to mitigate this with proper technique.

I've also never seen a tech toe break in a TTS setup, though I have personally snapped a ski in half with a TTS binding.

Edit to add: I don't mean to imply that TTS is indestructible. What will bend and eventually break is the heel wire, pivot wires, spring cartridges, and heel throws, roughly in that order... all of which I have personally done. Followed by the ski or your leg, depending on the forces involved. I would look at all of these as fuses in the system before enough force could be applied to break the tech toe.

bobbytooslow

Post by bobbytooslow » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:47 pm

I have skied probably 600 days total on TTS, including store-bought and the dozen or so iterations I've designed and built myself. As a telemark binding norm, it is rock solid.

I've never had an unintended release while skiing. I had one when skinning, because I didn't clear ice from the boot's tech fittings. Lesson learned.

I've had one set of toes get loose, and it was 100% the fault of my design; the baseplate with the toe lever detents was overhanging the front of the riser, and it got bent down. Lesson learned.

(Also, the Olympus Mountain Gear toes are not good. Other reputable AT brands are much prefered.)

The one weak point of TTS has to do with spring travel. Unless you have really small and/or flexible boots, the standard 75mm binding spring cartridges will bottom out. This affects both your technique and your kit's longevity. Voilé's Long Travel springs help a lot, though to get even more travel, some type of underfoot springs would need to be employed.

Boots are part of the equation as well. A boot with a flexible sole shortens a lot when you raise the heel, requiring less spring travel. A boot with a stiffer sole will shorten less and require more travel to not bottom out. It'll be interesting to see what the flex is like if/when Scarpa introduces a new touring-minded NTN boot.

tl;dr A well-built TTS with the right boot can be magic. Putting together a kit like this isn't always easy. But the norm itself is rock solid.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:25 pm

@bobbytooslow are you skiing TTS in the Arizona mountains with various versions of the F-1. I only ask because I would think you would not have ideal conditions a high percentage of the time in Arizona. Just wondering, thank you.

bobbytooslow

Post by bobbytooslow » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:27 pm

Indeed! Most of my days at the resort are on F3 + TTS, and touring is usually F1 + TTS. We definitely can have great conditions here -- the Peaks go up to 12,633' -- but the sun & crowds can make things trickier. Going early and moving fast definitely helps.

Good conditions:

Skiing somewhere unique:

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:04 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:17 pm
Curiousity-

Disclaimer→ I have yet to try any form of TTS binding...

Has anyone found the physical limits of the tech toe in a TTS binding system?

I understand how a tech AT binding works in "ski" mode- as it is clamped at the heel as well as the tech toe.

But, I struggle to understand how a TTS binding- with a "borrowed" AT tech toe can withstand the physical forces of a modern Telemark boot and binding...

NTN I get.
TTS I don't...

Has anyone broken TTS setups? Or do the physical forces just reach a pount where the toe just "pops"/breaks out of the tech toe? (FYI- I have pushed Rottefella's Xplore reverse-tech toe to the point of "release"- it didn't break, but I think there was a bit of damage/stress to the binding and the boot interface that will eventually weaken it ovetime...)

I understand how TTS "works"- and would like to try it- I guess I don't understand how it is strong enough at the limits of modern Telemark skiing...
Can you elaborate on Xplore release? Did this happen while you were skiing or was it an engineered release to see what the limits were? If you can do so, can you say what kind of forces were being applied and at what point and how it popped out? I.e., twisting fall placed torsional force on boot and popped out tow, or falling back toe popped out, etc... I would like to understand this a little bit. Thanks!
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:57 pm

bobbytooslow wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:27 pm
Indeed! Most of my days at the resort are on F3 + TTS, and touring is usually F1 + TTS. We definitely can have great conditions here -- the Peaks go up to 12,633' -- but the sun & crowds can make things trickier. Going early and moving fast definitely helps.

Good conditions:

Oh god, I just drooled all over myself…

MattVT

Post by MattVT » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:08 pm

I haven't tried them yet but I cant' wait. A TTS with no NTN duckbutt connection and adjustable tension down to a 75mm feel? ... As someone who reluctantly switched to NTN/TTS (Meidjo 3 on lowest setting with internal spring removed), I am super psyched about this. If anyone has tried it, please share!

As to whether the soft binding makes sense with a big boot, it all depends where you intend to take it. My 75mm setup is the voile switchback with the Scott Synergy (4-buckle). Fine for skinning up the resort and short side country excursions. The big boot is heavy, but gives that stability to take the switchbacks down some very steep terrain.