The Future!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

The Future!

Post by Johnny » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:55 pm

My personal plea is for post/edit limits and more bi-lateral time outs. it does make things difficult. Personal attacks take two to tango and to see one side punished is tacit endorsement of one point of view.

Dear friend,

Thank you for your suggestions. They sure will be taken into consideration. But not by me. Because me, I would never do that. It's totally against my principles. Restricting people, punishing people and moderating people are something that I will never do. Who the fuck am I to JUDGE what is right and what is wrong?!? Who the fuck am I to decide which behavior should be punished? I believe in freedom, but I understand that a lot of people love restrictions. And I respect that too. (No surprise so many people like to have their freedom restricted by cables too... 8-) )

we do not have the tools to fix issues of discord and that’s why you see some people resorting to schoolyard bullying techniques—they are distasteful, but are one of the tools for how society self-moderates when powerless.

I am truly sorry to say that I totally, totally, totally disagree with this. I don't believe that POWER should be used to fix issues of discord. I'm totally, absolutely against this. I think that power should never, never be used to moderate society or anything. Nobody is anyone's savior. And I'm sure not anyone's savior either. You don't need me to fix your problems, you can all do it by yourselves. Don't believe you need outside reinforcements to solve your own problems, you can all fix your own conflicts by yourselves. They are problematic for YOU, so you are the ones who can fix them.

To me, talking and discussing the conflicts are much more noble than using tools and power to regulate opinions. It's not because that's what they all do elsewhere on all other forums that it's necessarily the best way to do things. And oh, you are NOT powerless. You, and only you, the people, have all the power in the world. You just didn't realize it yet. You're just accustomed to be relying on authority and the powers that be for everything.

The better analogy would be the cycling group ride. Everyone is welcome, but if you show up, are unpleasant and belligerent, and mess up the pace line the group leader will tell you you’re not welcome anymore. The bartender will not serve you in the local public house, hell… you would be asked to leave Friday Night Magic (the Gathering) by the min wage local game store manager.

Me, I believe that everyone has the right to be part of a cycling group. Being unpleasant doesn't make one a moron. I don't believe that a cycler should be excluded from his own group because the majority thinks he is unpleasant. I also believe that everyone has the right to be served cold beer at the local pub if thirsty, even if he has the most eccentric views or wears a pink beanie. Just like I believe that the freakiest cross-dressing male witches should be allowed to play MTG even if they're old retarded farts wearing silver tiaras and that they really believe that The Grateful Dead is awesome.

Hey, can you believe that we had 10 FUCKING YEARS of pure fun in here without a single post ever being moderated? Can you believe that? Do you know any other place on the internet that survived 10 years without ANY moderators? Especially when it comes to skiers and all their huge stinking egos? We all had lots of fun talking about our passion and our different points of view, in *almost* perfect harmony. Really, Kudos to all of you guys! Kudos to MOST of you guys! Honestly, you guys are awesome!

But I also understand that my utopic vision is not shared here anymore. (Correction: it never was actually). I understand that I'm the only one in the world with such a view. I understand that you guys here LOVE, WANT and NEED moderation and authority. You need someone to take care of things for you on the internet, you need a place that is patrolled all the time. You need a safe place where you won't encounter people using the F-word. You need to know that if someone is skiing naked, he will get kicked out on the spot by the powers that be. You need to know that people with weird ideas and behaviours will be taken care of by the Ski Police and banned forever.

I know it very well, because you all wrote to me privately to ask me to do this. And ask me do that. And to ban this guy cause he's a moron, and ban this other guy cause he's an asshole, and ban this dick because he is saying what he thinks. Ban this other one cause he is unpleasant! Pleeease Johnny, get him out of the group! Stop serving him beer! You all wrote to me in private. Well, a lot of you did. And THAT turned me off. THAT, really turned me off. Like COMPLETELY.

I don't believe in the majority. Majority doesn't mean right. In fact, 99% of the time, the majority is wrong. I also don't believe the loudest voice should rule. And I sure will never believe in your democracy. (Your beloved democracy released Barabbas and crucified the righteous one, remember?) So thanks a lot for your input everyone, but someone else will have to do the job you're asking for, not me.

I know this is what you want, then so be it.

So I will therefore pass on the controls and the moderation duties of this forum to two other fellow members in the next few days. There are 57,207 posts on this forum, and only 3% are mine. So my own opinion or what I think is pretty worthless here, no matter if you want to keep believeing wrongly that this is "my place". I'm only one out of 3,866 users. So my voice here is worth only 0.0002%. Not exactly the majority. And to be honest, I'm quite fed up with seeing this public space criticized for its tolerance, its openness and its genuine inclusiveness, while these were (and are still) my ideals. It worked perfectly for over a decade. And I still firmly believe it would have worked for several more decades too, but I understand that this is not what people want. Like, not AT ALL.

So since my 0.0002% voice here doesn't mean shit, and since this is not MY place, I will give the people what they want: moderation. Here's to you, majority. You want it? You got it. But personally, sanitized and patrolled environments are not for me. I have always found other peoples tracks very unhygienic. I only ski wild, unpatrolled areas* where only other passionate freaks dare to go and are allowed to be who they really are. But what I find THE MOST unhygienic in the world, is being is the same room with people who "do not want to be associated" with other human beings who are thinking outside the box. Because for them, new ideas, new gear, new visions, new kids and new concepts should be avoided like the plague.

* And most of the time naked, weather permitting.

So I guess it's time for me, the incompetent moderator as pointed out publicly by Musk Ox and others, to move on from this place where my views and ideas were never welcomed and were always criticized anyway. I'm retiring from this site. I paid for this website out of my own pockets for 10 years, and I will continue to pay the hosting fees, to maintain the site and keep renewing the domain name until the day I die. Consider this as my humble contribution to the tele community. But that will be pretty much my only implication here for the future. (Unless they come out one day with 500g powder planks and leather boots with tech inserts, which I would be very tempted to review...)

Yep, this place is here to stay no matter what you will do with it. After 10 years of tweaking, the forum software is running very smoothly. The interface is pleasant to the eye and super easy to use. The posts are easy to read. The site pays for itself with the ads. And it is almost free of so-called "inclusive" elitist blowhards who are busy entertaining themselves elsewhere speculating about the weight of screws on nonexistent Scarpa boots. And as a bonus, there are some very good guys in here if you now how to read and listen. (If you would dare showing a tiny bit of open-mindedness, it could change your life forever. For the good...) As much as I really don't care anymore, I would love to come back here in 10 or 20 years and see how you turned this place into something even more awesome than before. But really, it's up to you guys. None of my concern.

Yes! Moderation, power and control at TelemarkTalk! At fucking last! Now just watch the TelemarkTalk stock skyrocket on the NASDAQ as all the shareholders rejoice at the news! Long live Telemark Talk!

It was a real pleasure talking with you guys all those years, sharing my passion and obsession with you all. It was great meeting some of you in person, and it was an absolute pleasure to have the chance of skiing with some of you too. I just said it but I'll say it again, there are some very passionate and very interesting people in here if you can get past your preconceived ideas and your first impressions...

Be gentle with the new mods. They sure will not be as tolerant as me, but they're here to help. They are long-time members so they both know the very special dynamics of this forum very well. But I doubt that they will allow and tolerate name calling and F-words. They actually care A LOT MORE than me about the actual content of this site. I totally trust them, I know they will do the best for the future of this place. (So test them at your own risk...)

Keep Telemark skiing alive! With or without cables! Plastic or leather! The sport needs you, it's nothing without you! Support your scene!

All the best,

Keep talking. Keep sharing. Keep joking.
BE THE CHANGE you want to see. Stop being a spectator.
They killed Telemark! Telemark is dead! Long live Telemark!

Johnny

A few of my all-time favorite tele quotes:

You see them explode down the hill with the mastery and grace of a ninja, and the truth comes out:
Telemark skiers really don’t care what you think.

- Powder Magazine

I began a newsletter. The goal was to stop all this silly telemark talk and start promoting alpine touring.
- Craig Dostie

I think Johnny does a great job on the "new" Telemark Talk considering what and WHO he has to work with.
- Jeff Albaugh

I always believed that the key to growing the sport was to promote Alpine Touring above all other disciplines.
- Craig Dostie

Seriously? Are people really still telemarking? Yes, my friend, unfortunately they still are. Why, why would anyone perform this hideously archaic form of gay ski ballet?
- Unofficial Networks

Earn Your Turns had potential, just not enough interesting content unless you want a primer on installing inserts.
- Dale Mikkelsen

Try as you might to grow the sport, freeheeling isn't going anywhere. Telemark had its day. But I guess there are tight little groups of egomaniacal, elitist blowhards still speaking Latin.
- Descender.com

The psychological implications of this deranged state, called telemark, are extremely sad and should be quietly tucked away into a cushy, not-too-steep, ski hill asylum somewhere in Vermont that serves vegan organic granola-on-a-stick and has daily support groups for incompetence. Yet, these horrible douchenuggets continue to slam their problems directly into our faces at our local ski resorts every day while flaccidly trying to convince us that telemarking is all about 'soul.'
- Joey Bagadonuts
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Re: The Future!

Post by Musk Ox » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:12 pm

Oh shit, OK.

Sorry I called you 'incompetent' as a moderator.

I think it's an amazing achievement, ten years with no intervention, I really do, and a testament to the community.

I admire the way you've stood by your principles. Sorry I expressed my exasperation without specifically talking to you first.

I think you've kind of mis-read what's been happening here the last few weeks.

Edit: and that's all I'm going to say about that.

I'm sure the new moderators will smash it, in a good way, and I hope they let the place continue to be what you let it be.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:10 pm

Johnny is dead.
Long live Johnny!

Thank you for 10 years of of your life here.
IMG_9227.jpeg

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:55 pm

People got extremely comfortable dictating the actions and beliefs of others during covid times. It shows in everything. Narrative control has become a hobby for some. It's pretty entertaining watching mature and otherwise professional folks default to juvenile behaviors.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:32 pm

Not asking it as a question at this time, but what I'm left wondering is... who are/will these two moderators be?

As one who's been around since the original TTalk, and now frequents both this and "the other site", it's kind of sad to hear the bashing and bad blood still around from when the original went under and later became this version. From both sides.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:29 pm

Johnny,
I have always appreciated your passion and your views. Just because I like cables, doesn’t mean I don’t respect you ability to dispense with.
I sure hope you will check in. You will be missed if you don’t.
Thank you, for bringing this site to today. While you may have managed in a laissez-faire manner, your presence mattered.
All the best to you and your family.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:19 am

Oh just one last thing... A lot of you also wrote to me about all the stuff that is going on behind the curtains. Thank you for forwarding me all that stuff, but please in the future, forward it to the moderators. As I said, I'm totally fed up with that and I don't even want to hear about any of that shit. But it might help the neutralizing crew to ponder on making the right decisions in the future... Thanks!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:21 am

Hope they shared all of them… not just cherry picked the ones they thought read the best. Because that would obviously be misleading.

So much drama… all because a few ppl got together to decide who they liked and didn’t like. They complained about my posts… then put friends getting banned on me (ignoring the fact that they got banned for calling you a Nazi sympathizer, questioning your mod skills, and saying some unrepeatable things about your character).

Now, they’re lining up to “make nice” in the hope of gaining some leverage to excuse their and their friends’ behavior. Some of it so transparent that its only scandalous offense is the performance a sex act in public.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6066&sid=80ab10c16f ... 50c913a49a

Been called all manner of things in public on this forum… and fed these guys back all the bs they wanted to hear. They don’t accept my posts on skiing but miraculously believe every word written… every nuance… on things they want to believe is true. Stuff any mature rational adult would rightly laugh at and ignore.

Started encouraging them privately to post content. All they wanted to do was “play games”… so games it was. But they only like such games when they’re winning.

Proof is found in their public posts. If they’re not trying to kiss your butt, they’re questioning your ability. If they’re not talking about themselves, they’re denigrating others. If they don’t have content to post, they actively try to derail the content of others. Games… always games.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6068&sid=80ab10c16f ... 50c913a49a

Never, ever content tho. Just brags, boasts, and slams.

Won’t share their PMs. What they say to me in private stays private. It doesn’t take much of an imagination to understand that piece tho.

My PMs are scandalous tho… really evil. The stuff of nightmares.
IMG_0221.jpeg
Like the gem above, which the recipient posted publicly… then removed it because he knew it made him look like an asshat.

Or this one…
IMG_0222.jpeg
Here’s the funny thing… don’t need to name names. The ppl self identify in their posts and attacks. Don’t ask for ppl to be banned either… free speech and all that. Don’t need to divulge a PM sent to me in private… but sharing my content doesn’t betray any trust, assumed or expected. Don’t need to gang up on an individual.

This must make me a bad person.
Go Ski

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:25 am

You did a good job "J". Malcontents back stabbers and low lives are legion. Good people doing good is real GOOD. If you come to VT. the KTB will take you on any kind of BC tour you envision. Again good work! TM

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:48 pm

Johnny wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:55 pm
I am truly sorry to say that I totally, totally, totally disagree with this. I don't believe that POWER should be used to fix issues of discord. I'm totally, absolutely against this. I think that power should never, never be used to moderate society or anything.

Do you know any other place on the internet that survived 10 years without ANY moderators?

And to ban this guy cause he's a moron, and ban this other guy cause he's an asshole, and ban this dick because he is saying what he thinks. Ban this other one cause he is unpleasant! Pleeease Johnny, get him out of the group! Stop serving him beer! You all wrote to me in private. Well, a lot of you did. And THAT turned me off. THAT, really turned me off. Like COMPLETELY.
Wasn't POWER used to ban users (i.e. MODERATE THE FORUM) whose voice you didn't want to hear, or have us hear? Maybe banning me for pointing this out will buttress your position. Not exactly the open mindedness you preach.

P.S. I will admit to disliking, immensely, the personality of those 2 recently banned, but that's besides the point. As well, there were several bans of old of members who seemed to contribute a lot based on my reading of old threads--maybe they said or did things I am unaware of, not having read everything they wrote. But I found good things in what I read.