Military Ski Master List (w/ Photos)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Re: Military Ski Master List (w/ Photos)

Post by Manney » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:13 pm

connyro wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:25 am
Well lookie here - Manney's got a thread going that's got some importance to himself. It'd be a real shame if something happened to it: say, something like it got derailed or sent off-topic. Somewhat interesting subject matter, albit not related to telemark skiing (shocking for this forum, I know).
Circling back on the last part of the statement, which is factually incorrect.

Telemark skiing wasn’t invented for military skiing but it quickly caught on. Why? Because it’s the only practical way or turning at speed while carrying heavy loads…. Typically 80# but as high as 120# in the case of the USMC.

It all comes down to the mechanics of a telemark turn. Edging and angulation of skis used in a conventional carving turn isn’t safe or practical carrying such weight. You’d topple over or break a leg.

Things like balancing weight over both skis, bending knees, and setting a continuous edge by staggering the skis makes it possible to turn at speed while carrying heavy loads.

This explains why all of the gear shown feature free heel bindings of one form or another. Free heel bindings don’t mean you HAVE to do a telemark turn, but it is necessary to get down a slope on skis while carrying massive packs nonetheless.

So you see, @connyro, this topic is directly related to telemark skiing. The conditions demand it, the gear supports it, and the skiers do it (with experience and training).
Go Ski

connyro

Post by connyro » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:17 pm

Man, you are obsessed with me. Please stop. It's weird and is making you look crazy.

Manney

Post by Manney » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:25 pm

Who started the thread?

You joined it… threatened to derail it. Just pointing out two things - your inability to derail and your limited knowledge of what constitutes military skiing.

Like, had you looked at the gear list and photos…
Go Ski

connyro

Post by connyro » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:30 pm

Here's more disgusting dialog from good old mammey. Seems like a metered, reasonable response from a rational person. Notice how "truth" to this guy is whatever he says it is, and not ever an opposing opinion. He's the gift that keeps on giving in this thread.
Manney wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:53 pm
Stephen wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:38 pm
how is it that you can place your singular interest in saving us from ourselves above multiple interests in your not doing that?
If you were able to step back and take an objective look (without self-interest), you would see that you are diminishing the enjoyment and value of this forum for many people.

You may justify this by thinking that you are protecting less knowledgeable members from bad advice, or setting the record straight, but mostly, I doubt many care.

Personally, I would evaluate your "contributions" as a net loss for this forum.
Maybe you could start your own forum, with your flavor of content?

I'll now go back to sitting on my hands...
The truth is a collective interest. Being one of the few pointing it out doesn’t mean it’s personal.

You pulled this same schtick some time ago… called to have me banned. Johnny not only didn’t agree but told one of your homies to get a life or leave. As per usual, you slinked out when the wind direction changed.

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... =70#p61047

Thing is that my posts mostly receive attack on a personal level. Right out of the box… by conny, lowangle al, sometimes fisheater… with you following up. Always the follower, like a kid brother. Betcha it’s always been that way.

As for contributions, my posts contain content (unless being dragged OT by you or one of your assholes throwing shade). Its like keeping the peace means kissing your ass, but that isn’t part of the user agreement. Or maybe you could provide a link to correct me.

Your singular interest is in spreading and enforcing a doctrine. When that is challenged in any way, you guys see it as a personal challenge. Why? Don’t know, but it probably has to do with some kind of self esteem issue… need to feel loved, admired etc. Which also explains why you band together and back each others play. Sweet, but lame.

Be your own person. Don’t follow somebody else’s tracks. Carve your own.

connyro

Post by connyro » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:36 pm

Manney wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:25 pm
Who started the thread?

You joined it… threatened to derail it. Just pointing out two things - your inability to derail and your limited knowledge of what constitutes military skiing.

Like, had you looked at the gear list and photos…

So here is a sweet quote by manney where he calls different opinions from his "dogpiling". He's gotten zero support from any forum members defending his claims and "advice", yet insists you'll be "led astray" if you listen to anyone else's advice besides manney's. Blowhard.
Manney wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:02 pm
fisheater wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:35 pm
I have always enjoyed your posts.
Me too. Not enough to stay silent during dog piling or watching somebody get led astray tho. Too much of that online already.
There's several other recent examples. Bullying, condescending, often incorrect due to his arrogance combined with ignorance.

Manney

Post by Manney » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:23 pm

More data being posted soon. Ugly data, containing filthy facts from ski manufacturers etc. Scandalous photos showing troops on skis, doing things in the snow that are unnatural to @connyro… like sliding, turning etc. Young skiers showing off their young bodies in disgusting displays of athletic ability. Dressed the same, like the Amish (which judge @connyro with their eyes).

LOL. This is almost as fun as researching skis. It’s like a Church Lady skit on SNL.

This isn’t derailing the thread as much as it is adding humor to a fairly dry subject. Keep going, conny. Enjoying this immensely.
Go Ski

connyro

Post by connyro » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:32 pm

Manney wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:23 pm
More data being posted soon. Ugly data, containing filthy facts from ski manufacturers etc. Scandalous photos showing troops on skis, doing things in the snow that are unnatural to @connyro… like sliding, turning etc. Young skiers showing off their young bodies in disgusting displays of athletic ability. Dressed the same, like the Amish (which judge @connyro with their eyes).

LOL. This is almost as fun as researching skis. It’s like a Church Lady skit on SNL.

This isn’t derailing the thread as much as it is adding humor to a fairly dry subject. Keep going, conny. Enjoying this immensely.
Will do, chief! I'll just wait for you to post more condescension and bullying. Shouldn't be long now.

Manney

Post by Manney » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:00 pm

New ski added (tentative only at this point… Asnes Combat NATO 62). See notes for reason for tentative entry.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5999&sid=8953ec524e ... f7b#p61345

Scroll to bottom…
Go Ski

Manney

Post by Manney » Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:02 am

Video of the Jeitei ski being used:

(Many thanks to @CIMA for the links. One of the videos contained enough info to identify a facility where with JSDF provides ski instruction. This allowed me to update the military ski training thread (so Japan, with its long military ski history going back to the 1920s, wasn’t left out)
Go Ski

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:20 am

Excellent thread!
Sorry, but I didn't know it.

I wonder if this thread is worth moving to the TELEWIKI forum.

The attached pdf is a leaflet created for public relations of the Self Defence Force.
It says the latest Model 3 set has skis with side curves and telescopic poles.
SDF Japan (1).png
Source:
ikore15x.pdf
(621.87 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
(in Japanese)
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.