Lubricating pins on Rottefella Xplore system boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Re: Lubricating pins on Rottefella Xplore system boots

Post by Jurassien » Wed May 31, 2023 2:59 am

Stephen wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:34 pm
One last, somewhat rhetorical question:

So, if my pins hang up in the housing, and I have not done the recommended maintenance, is this now entirely my problem, and not any sort of warranty issue?
………….and to add to your rhetoricals: Who takes responsibility for defective pins? If you’ve purchased an (expensive) Alfa boot and have to send it back to Alfa because of the pins, do you get: “Not us, mate. We only make the uppers. For anything to do with the sole assembly you’ll have to go to Rottefella – they’re the ones who make that”.

Just kidding, of course: The responsibility to repair/replace the boot under warranty has to lie with the boot manufacturer, but it seems a bit odd that Rottefella put out a video showing how to maintain an Alfa boot when there is no such reference on the Alfa website. It’s a bit like one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing. I haven’t found any equivalent Xplore maintenance instructions on the websites of Alpina or Lundhags.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Wed May 31, 2023 5:29 am

TallGrass wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 1:51 pm
Jurassien wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 12:07 pm
TallGrass wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 9:11 am
For those who are married, consider putting something between the boot and the carpet.
The mother-in-law?
Wouldn't it be better to use something that doesn't make noise when you apply boot-pressure?
I'm not going to get baited into developing this further :lol:

I found the video by chance.
On the Norwegian website the item is listed, 99 norwegian kroner.
https://rottefella.com/nb_NO/backcountry/accessories
https://rottefella.com/media/sparsh/pro ... Grease.pdf

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:00 pm

This just makes sense.
Good to see an off-the-shelf solution for those who will not get to coming up with their own.
The spring-pin technology is the source of the Xplore magic- but it is also its potentially weakest link.
Grease- is the word.
I think I might get it- I have enough custom hack tool manufacturing that I need to do on this old farm!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

DG99

Post by DG99 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:24 pm

Ha ha. Nice.

I wonder, do the pins come from the factory pre-greased? Or you add grease after an icing problem shows up?

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:21 pm

Also available here--> https://outdoorbuddiesshop.se/en/turski ... ore-grease . Still looking for somewhere Stateside. For those using their own solutions, that's fine. I may wind up doing the same but I'd prefer to use the recommended product. Here are my reasons:
- I don't know what is inside the spring mechanism. Lubricants like this are often petroleum based and solvent in petroleum-based greases can have a significant effect on plastics, rubber, and adhesives.
- This grease is going to come out of the hole. The wrong stuff could have an adverse effect on the plastic binding.
- What is the real purpose of this grease??? It is to keep water out? Is it to lubricate the pin inside the boot? Is it to lubricate the pin going in and out of the binding?
- The viscosity and performance of grease and wax is strongly tied to temperature. The 'wrong' stuff, when it gets cold, could easily trap water or dirt and make the problem worse.

It bugs me that Rottefella hasn't worked very hard to make this product easily accessible. I also seriously doubt they went out and contracted with a grease manufacturer to make the perfect product for their spec. It may well be Vaseline. But, before I go to WD40 or other home-grown solutions, I'd kind of like to see the real thing.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:54 pm

@JohnSKepler I suppose they haven't started distribution of this winters stock yet.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:55 pm

JohnSKepler wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:21 pm
Also available here--> https://outdoorbuddiesshop.se/en/turski ... ore-grease . Still looking for somewhere Stateside. For those using their own solutions, that's fine. I may wind up doing the same but I'd prefer to use the recommended product. Here are my reasons:
- I don't know what is inside the spring mechanism. Lubricants like this are often petroleum based and solvent in petroleum-based greases can have a significant effect on plastics, rubber, and adhesives.
- This grease is going to come out of the hole. The wrong stuff could have an adverse effect on the plastic binding.
- What is the real purpose of this grease??? It is to keep water out? Is it to lubricate the pin inside the boot? Is it to lubricate the pin going in and out of the binding?
- The viscosity and performance of grease and wax is strongly tied to temperature. The 'wrong' stuff, when it gets cold, could easily trap water or dirt and make the problem worse.

It bugs me that Rottefella hasn't worked very hard to make this product easily accessible. I also seriously doubt they went out and contracted with a grease manufacturer to make the perfect product for their spec. It may well be Vaseline. But, before I go to WD40 or other home-grown solutions, I'd kind of like to see the real thing.
I believe it is a reduction of seal fat, reindeer semen and arctic ginseng. You can make your own at home easily enough.

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:46 pm

Musk Ox wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:55 pm

I believe it is a reduction of seal fat, reindeer semen and arctic ginseng. You can make your own at home easily enough.
With a name like your’s I’d have expected more sensitivity. You intentionally left out the most important ingredient. Musk Ox musk! Smells terrible but it’s the only thing that can expel the piste-gnomes responsible for 99% of equipment failures. Believe me, they are off-piste too. They don’t care.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:17 pm

JohnSKepler wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:46 pm
Musk Ox wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:55 pm

Musk Ox musk! Smells terrible
splutter

you .... splutter