New skis for Finnish Defence Forces

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: New skis for Finnish Defence Forces

Post by lowangle al » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:48 pm

Please people don't ski with no bindings, I didn't suggest that. The point was all you need is weight on a ski to make it work.

Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:50 pm

You said…
lowangle al wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:30 am
Theoretically you don't even need bindings. You can control your skis just by keeping weight on them. You can stay on your skis the same way a skateboarder, surfer or those guys on snowboards w/o bindings stay on their boards. The hard part is when and if you need to unweight.

You can get the feeling by leaving your boots totally loose, a soft alpine camber and decent sidecut are recommended.
Not my words… yours.
lowangle al wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:42 pm
What's you experience turning xc skis?
Comfortable turning at the bottom of a 30 degree 100-200’ drop covered by ice, snow on 44/42/43 double camber edgeless skis. Prefer a bit of space from trees though. Certainly not my preferred ski for this kind of work. This won’t convince anyone…. Just words anyone could repeat.

People who have done this will know that the pucker factor never goes away… mostly because of limitations of an edgeless ski. Line becomes a huge factor. No hard edge to save the day. Lots of chatter on a light ski… so close up the stance, half tuck, hips tight, knees loose. Unless the snow is deeper… then it’s more front, back weighting, rotation, and setting a continuous edge and letting the skis do their work. Can only go so deep.

Skinny, wide… Edged skis always the best in terrain… essential when the base is hard, icy. Line can be looser… why? More scope for using edges to adapt to changing trail conditions (snow mobile, snow shoer, deer). Need to watch base angles. 88, 89 works for me. Some ppl prefer 87.

Edgeless may be faster on flats, groomed track. Not my deal… did it in my younger days tho.

No doubt you’ll take this and twist it into… you don’t telemark bs. That’s your pattern. Reality is I do. Not that it matters in a general discussion like this. Pretty basic stuff.
Last edited by Manney on Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Go Ski

TallGrass

Post by TallGrass » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:54 pm

Manney wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:50 pm
You said…
lowangle al wrote:
Theoretically you don't even ...
Mmm, good post-ski burrito and bowl of chicken soup with extra Monterrey Jack cheese chunks.

Thus the important question: Beer... now or later tonight? :?:

Wait! Maybe both??? :geek:

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:21 pm

TallGrass wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:54 pm
Manney wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:50 pm
You said…
lowangle al wrote:
Theoretically you don't even ...
Mmm, good post-ski burrito and bowl of chicken soup with extra Monterrey Jack cheese chunks.

Thus the important question: Beer... now or later tonight? :?:

Wait! Maybe both??? :geek:
Yay, I won again.

Manney

Post by Manney » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:28 pm

As you always do… in your mind. Theoretically. Not on skis though. Too practical.
Go Ski

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:04 am

Why haven't we seen any photos of you skiing? I find it odd that you've reposted pictures of me, but never one of yourself. I know you're technically capable to post a picture. Why don't you at the least go out to your garage and take a picture of your nordic downhill gear so we can see what kind of skiing you do.

Manney

Post by Manney » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:24 am

Pics of gear. LOL. What does that indicate… Lots of gear… bought a lot at the swaps or too lazy to dispose of old shit. Hammered gear… it wasn’t in good condition in the first place, have no ski control, or am lazy AF. Gear in really good shape… don’t ski hard, or at all.

Selfies on the slopes, trail… ROFL. Breaks flow, fun.

So many ways to spin this bs… just ufi unless the goal is to try to impress others who are impressed by this sort of thing because they swap tall tales instead of skiing. Not my deal.
Go Ski

TallGrass

Post by TallGrass » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:05 am

lowangle al wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:04 am
Why haven't we seen any photos of you skiing
Manney wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:24 am
Pics of gear. LOL. What does that indicate… Lots of gear… bought a lot at the swaps or too lazy to dispose of old shit. Hammered gear… it wasn’t in good condition in the first place, have no ski control, or am lazy AF. Gear in really good shape… don’t ski hard, or at all.

Selfies on the slopes, trail… ROFL. Breaks flow, fun.

So many ways to spin this bs… just ufi unless the goal is to try to impress others who are impressed by this sort of thing because they swap tall tales instead of skiing. Not my deal.
It's a sad dog that don't wag its own tail.

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... 456#p60456
20230422_112215.jpg
20230422_112221.jpg
They tell me the black marks are where ski patrol did avalanche control. *boom* Skied this twice.
20230422_115010.jpg
20230422_115331.jpg
Sorry, not Nordic nor tele' skis, but fun on skis nonetheless. Stay safe out there! 8-)

Edit: I didn't take those photos "for the 'gram", rather for a friend with the same name as that run.
Last edited by TallGrass on Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manney

Post by Manney » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:15 am

Sadder dog that only wags its tail for others pleasure. Not a free dog anymore. A tamed pet.

Happiest days, best snow, greatest ski sessions happen when nobody is watching. You’re the same skier regardless of photos. So who are you taking pictures for… you or some master you hope will like you.
Go Ski

connyro

Post by connyro » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:49 am

@manney Sadder dog yet is the one who deceives and lies in their very first post on this forum:
Manney wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:48 am
Returning to the sport after many years. Work, location (Munising), and crazy weather might allow me to get out five or six times a season (1-2 hours a sesh).

Will this be enough to build or maintain a high skill level? Would a big quiver help me develop rapidly as a skier? Maybe four or five new/used skis?
And now you want us to take your word on your silly claims of expertise? Occam's razor says you are a lying blowhard.