Skis For Spring Snow

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Skis For Spring Snow

Post by JohnSKepler » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:57 am

Conditions have changed here in northern Utah, and the snow is becoming softer, yet at the same time firmer. It isn’t corn yet, and I’ve never skied corn, but I’m wondering how I begin to transition from my wider skis into narrower ones perhaps?

Right now the low angle downhill I’ve been skiing is probably 2 feet deep with a compressible surface that is nowhere near slush, but not powdery either. I’m sure there are Inuit words for this but all I have to work
with is English!

At this time of year what works the best? Right now I have a FT62 and a Gamme54. I also have a Wale V6, which is way too wide. I may be up for one more set of skis this winter, because there are a lot of sales right now! Recommendations?
Veni, Vidi, Viski

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Skis For Spring Snow

Post by fisheater » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:18 am

Wait until next year, Voile is introducing a new ski, the Endeavor based on the Objective only stiffer, kind of Vector compared to a V6. Mid 80’s underfoot is nice.
If you can’t wait I hear good about the K2 Wayback, I’m pretty sure there is a mid 80’s version. Another ski I see mentioned is the Atomic Backland 85.
Really and truly I thing I would talk to the guys at Telemark Down in New Hampshire and Freeheel Life in SLC.
I can tell you I really like my Tindan 86. It’s not the perfect ski, but it does what I need.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:23 am

There is no spring snow.
There will never be spring snow.
It's never going to stop snowing here!
I may have to sell my mountain bike!

Here, you'd need to know the Ute (or Shoshone) word for that.
In fact, the Ute word for these conditions roughly translates to "damn, I haven't been able to leave this wickiup in a week"!

If we do end up with classic "corn" snow, you can ski that on anything. But my narrow skis are 84 underfoot, so I'm probably of no help at all.

I had to look up those skis. At 62(?) underfoot, I'd go wider to get up out of the slop. In fact, I'd ski those conditions on Voile V6's (I assume Wale V6 is a misprint) all day long with solid boots.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:53 pm

fisheater wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:18 am
Wait until next year, Voile is introducing a new ski, the Endeavor based on the Objective only stiffer, kind of Vector compared to a V6....
Woah, what? That sound *great*. Especially if it can be close to as light as the objective. That would help with both the tracking (vector has a straighter tail and tracks better than the v6 on the flats) and the crud skiing. Can you share the source?

True corn is like shallow powder--just about any ski will work brilliantly. I think the issue with spring corn is that it isn't there all day. Often you're skinning up on ice, trying to time the melt, and then sometimes ending up in slop at the end. For both ends of the "not corn" spectrum it is nicer to have something around 80mm underfoot with little rocker. My volcano skis are 115-79-101 with an 18m turn radius, medium-firm stiff and just a tiny bit of rocker. But admittedly... I don't ski them tele because of being tired of waiting for scarpa to make a boot that isn't a boat anchor.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:22 am

spopepro wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:53 pm

True corn is like shallow powder--just about any ski will work brilliantly. I think the issue with spring corn is that it isn't there all day. Often you're skinning up on ice, trying to time the melt, and then sometimes ending up in slop at the end. For both ends of the "not corn" spectrum it is nicer to have something around 80mm underfoot with little rocker. My volcano skis are 115-79-101 with an 18m turn radius, medium-firm stiff and just a tiny bit of rocker. But admittedly... I don't ski them tele because of being tired of waiting for scarpa to make a boot that isn't a boat anchor.
Yeah agreed w all above
And
V6 is a fine choice on corn though may be less desirable in the firm morning, but you’ll be skinning anyway

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:58 am

Plenty of corn snow here, it's just under 10 feet of powder.
I believe I've had enough!
snowstake_1280x720 (13).jpg
338847696_242893938140464_2557693297488558566_n.jpg
And another 30-50(!) inches on the way?!