Fischer S-Bound 98 or 88?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
jooleyen

Fischer S-Bound 98 or 88?

Post by jooleyen » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:00 pm

I am driving myself crazy trying to choose a pair of skis. I have a pair of Karhu XCD GT (older, skinnier 62mm-54mm-59m) and they sink too much in 8 inches of powder. I'm looking for more of an XCd ski than xcD. My main concern is that the 88s won't float me. How deep of powder is this ski usable in?
I was about to get S-bound 98s, but realized it might be overkill, and I'd be sacrificing ability to kick and glide.

Also, can the scale pattern be ground off easily if I want a waxable base?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Fischer S-Bound 98 or 88?

Post by Woodserson » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:40 pm

There's a good convo over in the Ski Review forum http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=388 with good talk on the 98 and some 88 thrown in at the end, probably worth a read.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:49 pm

My $0.02 would be to go for the 88 - just go longer if you think you'll need more float.

I like the 98 just fine, but it's more of a dh ski. That said it's absolutely terrifying on anything hard - it bounces, grabs, flutters all over. It's just not made for hard snow. Strangely enough it settles right down in even a couple inches of fluff or dust over a hard surface... unless it's ice... doesn't like ice.

The 98 glides and climbs like a champ for a wide, curvy ski - so either should do that well... I'd expect the 88 to be better. I don't find it too squirrelly if you have the patience to kick it perfectly flat and straight... catch an edge and it will let you know. Don't keep even pressure on the skis at speed... it'll let you know. It's not all that easy to ski but it's nice when you do it right.

The difference in float should be pretty minimal between the two as well. I'd expect the sidecut difference and how they'd turn to be more noticeable.

I'm sure a shop could grind the bases but the odd thing with these skis in the bases are different material for the patterned and non-patterned section. I don't know how well that might work? Best to ask a reputable shop.

StormyMonday

Post by StormyMonday » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:04 pm

I have the Outtabounds which are the same dimensions as the 88s. Been skiing much deeper than 8" all season so far on them and no issues. I use these skis as my opportunity skis - I take them out on rolling hills, mountain bike trails, whatever and seek out whatever turns can be had. Pretty much ever turn I've made this year has been somewhere between mid calf and mid thigh. When it's calf to knee deep I pick the steepest lines I can find and focus on that back foot. Once it's over knee deep this width gets more bogged down (we should always have this problem!) and I go to bigger hills and mountains and use my Tuas (which have the same dimensions as the 98s). The Outtas are a quick turning ski (I'm 5'10" and 170 lbs. and use the 179) really fun in steep trees. Really bad on ice and not great in crust. I don't go out on ice and use the Tuas for crust. Neither ski is a cross country ski and if I go out xc skiing with my wife I like my 2nd generation 10th Mountains with leathers much better. That said I've done 5 hours of touring this weekend with my wife and the pooch and the Outtas were fine on the snowmobile trails. Seems like an XCD GT/98 quiver would give you a lot of flexibility...

jooleyen

Post by jooleyen » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:14 pm

I thought I needed the width of the epoch/98 for touring in powder deeper than 8", but apparently I was wrong. It's difficult for me to gauge what ski is considered to work well in 'deep powder', because that's a totally relative term. like 4' deep or 10" deep?
I didn't mean to make it sound like Fischer was the only ski I would consider. I read the 98/epoch review, but how about the madshus eon? It seems like the S-bounds =turning, while Madshus=touring, but is the difference really worth considering? Is there any reason the Eon would be worth the extra $$? I found the 88's for about $160, and the Eons for $295.

Of course, I know the only real solution is to get all of these skis, but I have to pretend like I can only get one for now.

*forgot to add, the S bound 88's that are on sale only go up to 179cm and I don't know if that's too short.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:33 pm

Eons can be found for less than $295. They are getting rather rare right now in the computer world.

179cm might be on the short end, but you might not notice much difference. S Bounds are turny - but they go straight too. For $160, I'd take the chance. No doubt they will be more fun in deep snow than your old GTs.

You might also consider this... instead of grinding the bases on these, keep them as they are and save some loot for a wax base Eon. Then you'll have the best of both worlds and a ski to use when the temps get warm.

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:02 pm

If you're considering XCd on powder only, S-bound 88 or Epoch is not a bad choice.
However, if there is possibility for you to ski on hard packed snow from time to time, I'd pick Eon or similar.
I recommended a few friends of mine Eon for XCd before.
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

jooleyen

Post by jooleyen » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:49 pm

It sounds like the Eon is my ski then. Not sure if I'll buckle and get the 88 or wait until I find an Eon. Thanks for the help in choosing.

StormyMonday

Post by StormyMonday » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:59 pm

I wouldn't grind off the bases just to wax. When conditions warrant I find waxing a hand's width above and below the pattern does the job.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:14 pm

I third that the grinding of the base thing is not a great idea, it's a different material too, at least in the Fischer's. I find a few days on corny snow well packed snowmobile trails grind them down to your weight almost perfect. I second StormyMonday, you can always add a little grip on the glide portion, even a colder-than-needed grip wax would help.

Great conversation guys