Am I really in Duluth?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Re: Am I really in Duluth?

Post by randoskier » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:24 pm

wabene wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:02 pm
I had high hopes for winter this year and last year was great. I think the UP had a couple of places in the top 5 last year with over 300 inches. Damn I'd need a front end loader for my driveway, but bring it! :lol:

We have the rain dance. Maybe what we need is a snow dance!
ScarceIncompatibleEkaltadeta-max-1mb.gif
The Wishing-it-was-snow dance- https://usagif.com/gif/snow-dance-65-da ... r-the-bar/

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:45 am

It's not that important, but I would like to correct some fake news I posted in this thread. After delving deeper into this subject I discovered Duluth got 90 inches of snow snow last year not the 120, 125 or whatever I posted. The site I was referencing was going by the calendar year and not the season spanning two years. The rest of the info was correct. 86 inches for the average year and 135 for the record year. We sit at 122 inches today so the record is in reach. Unfortunately a fluke foot injury may have shut me down, gah!!! Maybe I'll break out the mountain bike and pedal with my heel....

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... =40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:41 pm

wabene wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:45 am
Unfortunately a fluke foot injury may have shut me down, gah!!! Maybe I'll break out the mountain bike and pedal with my heel....
Just have someone ride you down the hill! :lol:
3FF670CE-0017-4389-8AFF-12E6E5FA33F4.jpeg
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:50 pm

neigh-horse.gif

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:20 pm

Skied some of the densest fresh snow today at the local ski hill. Several inches of super heavy mashed potatoes. With big damp skis, it was an exhausting blast. It's been an especially strange season weather-wise in the upper great lakes. The local hill closes operations this Sunday yet the snowpack is as deep and high quality as its been all season and there's another big storm tonight. Hoping spring corn season is good this year. It's been lackluster the last few years.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:24 pm

connyro wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:20 pm
Skied some of the densest fresh snow today at the local ski hill. Several inches of super heavy mashed potatoes. With big damp skis, it was an exhausting blast. It's been an especially strange season weather-wise in the upper great lakes. The local hill closes operations this Sunday yet the snowpack is as deep and high quality as its been all season and there's another big storm tonight. Hoping spring corn season is good this year. It's been lackluster the last few years.
The first time I skied that resort was in mid-April. Two feet of those mashed potatoes. Had a buddy who lived in town, gave us a call. Jumped in the truck, and drove through that storm. We got into town in time for an early breakfast. That was back in the days when real men downhill skied on 205’s and all alpine skis were the same width. The resort reopened for that snow, and the lift tickets were printed with
SURPRISE
We slept well that night!

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:13 am

5 days of highs in the high 70s and 18" base is all but gone except for patches here and there. Forecast calls for 8" at home and 14 at the Porkies Sunday-Monday. Forecasts haven't been great this season so we'll see. Had some days skiing around the homestead in shorts followed by 14mile bike ride. Crazy.

Manney

Post by Manney » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:43 am

Mashed taters —> slush —> rock skiing —> nuthin has taken less than two weeks here. Not that there aren’t patches. Hard to ski a patch with any kind of satisfaction. Probably not worth driving to Porkies. Fresh snow over crappy base never skis well. Wrecks skis, burns gas and daylight. Up and down season. Ppl who mad best of it happy enough, end on a high. Carry over for next year.

Always mountain biking. You’re off to an early start. Did the same two days ago… pumped tires, oiled chain, and went out at lunch. Sweated gallons. Not adjusted to this bump in temp.
Go Ski

connyro

Post by connyro » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:13 am

There's plenty of snow in the hills northwest of mqt, especially on east and north facing slopes. Once we get some below freezing nights the corn will be good again. Forecast calling for lots of snow in LE belts and possibly over a foot near my favorite bc spot. Also, the local ski hill has been decent for scale up ski down except for the last 2 or 3 75 degrees+ days.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:14 am

What's wrong with 14" new snow over 0 base? Seems like it would be deep enough to do some ups and downs without risking the skis.

Also, mtb already? Aren't trails just pure mud at this point? I road bike. Well, gravel roads are my favorite though the usfs roads still covered in snow, wide enough tires and suitable frame for off pavement/dirt and gravel, but not mtb trails. I may bike camp over to mqt sometime this summer when it's too hot inland, experience a little city life while there. However after living in the woods for this long I get anxious in crowded places like mqt. Couldn't believe how crowded it felt last time I was there.