NNN BC Boot Recommendation

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
YooperXC
Ski style: Classic XC
Favorite Skis: Transnordic 66, Excursion 88, and ???
Occupation: Fishing, Kayak Fishing, BWCA trips, Skiing....and working to pay for it all.

NNN BC Boot Recommendation

Post by YooperXC » Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:28 pm

I currently have the Fischer BCX 5 NNN BC boot for use with my quiver of skis. I am in the market to purchase a replacement boot for the BCX 5 that are hurting my feet due to the snug fit of the size 42 cm that I purchased last year. I am leaning towards the Alpina Alaska as the replacement. Also considering the Fischer Grande Tour or an Alfa Guard Advance.

Skis that I will use the boots on are Fischer E99/TN 66, Excursion 88, and Asnes Ingstad. Primarily BC touring with hopefully some Teleturns. There are a number hills in my area on which I can approach the speed of light on as well. :o

Any advice on boot selection would be appreciated.

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Re: NNN BC Boot Recommendation

Post by GrimSurfer » Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:38 pm

Alaska is a good boot… more for sub light speeds and lower-than-blackout-turns though. Ha ha

It’s warm, reasonably supportive, has good flex in the sole, breathes OK, etc. Somewhat easier to find than Alfa leathers, which are more supportive/less flexible and also a very high quality boot.

Personally, I’d go with whatever fits best. Could be a Alpina, could be Alfa. Depends on the foot… and budget.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:07 pm

As stated above the Alaska BC is a really nice boot. If you can’t try it on in the UP, which would surprise me, you can try on via REI. Returns should be easy through REI. If the Alaska fits I would ski the Alaska. The Alfa is supposed to be a higher volume fit. I’ve read that the Guide has a softer flex, but guys like it at least as well downhill and enjoy the softer flex on the flats.
Alaska fits me like custom made with the stock footbed. I’ll be sticking with my Alaska BC & 75!
BTW If my Falketind Xplore had it’s way it would live in the UP!

snow-mark

Post by snow-mark » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:04 pm

Just started using the Alaska BC and I’m very happy with it. I’d say it’s true to size, with decent width at the ball and not too wide at the heel.

From what I hear the Alfas are generally wider.

The Fischer Transnordic also looks like a good options

A couple people I ski with like the Madshus Glittertind if you can find it. Varuste has it but then you have shipping and return cost.

YooperXC
Occupation: Fishing, Kayak Fishing, BWCA trips, Skiing....and working to pay for it all.

Post by YooperXC » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:47 am

The Alpina Alaska is probably the boot that I will go with through Varuste due to their great pricing. Even with shipping they are much cheaper than domestic suppliers. Its always a gamble when there are no options to try them on before purchasing. There is a local ski shop that does has Fischer Fischer Grande Tour which is a good fit with lots of volume. Another local shop does have the Glittertind but it is very pricey.
fisheater wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:07 pm
BTW If my Falketind Xplore had it’s way it would live in the UP!
it is a great place to live if one enjoys the outdoors.

giovanotti

Post by giovanotti » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:59 am

Just wanted to inform you, Alpina released to local shop in Ljubljana, Slovenia a https://www.alpinashop.si/p78788/obutev ... ital-539x1 (DI Vital 539 X1) boot.

From my personal perspective: sole is typical NNN-BC sole, made by Rottefella, upper part is iteration of newly designed line, first seen on Pioneer Pro Xplore. Pricewise (at least locally) is identical to Alaska XP.

Will try to go to the shop to do some weigh comparison with classic Alaska. Should you have some other ideas what to compare, please propose. However, my foot is different as well I am unexperienced shoe tester :lol:

HNY!

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland

Post by Capercaillie » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:39 pm

If your snug fit problems are due to needing a higher volume boot, the Crispi Nordland is another boot to consider. A lot of volume all around, EE width in the toes that tapers mid-foot (I have gotten the toe box successfully stretched out for my EEEE feet using a shoe stretcher), lots of instep, heel, and ankle room. I really like them paired with a Fischer TN66. Telemarkdown has them for a great price.

I tried Alpina Montanas (what the store stocked) and they were very narrow and low volume even when going up a size. Not sure how much different the Alaskas are.

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:53 pm

Alaskas are average, +1/8. They stretch out to 1/2 size larger. So sports car fit becomes just right after a few sessions.

Moderately wide in the toe box, but that tapers at the top. Pretty much true to size (D width) in the mid sole. Slightly larger in the heel, but not enough to make them sloppy.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:27 pm

YooperXC wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:28 pm
I currently have the Fischer BCX 5 NNN BC boot for use with my quiver of skis. I am in the market to purchase a replacement boot for the BCX 5 that are hurting my feet due to the snug fit of the size 42 cm that I purchased last year. I am leaning towards the Alpina Alaska as the replacement. Also considering the Fischer Grande Tour or an Alfa Guard Advance.
If the 42 Fischer BCX5 is too narrow- then you may need a 43 Alaska BC.
The 42 Guard BC will give you more width and waaay more volume than the Fischer/Alpina-
you may need to take up some of that volume- depending on the volume of your foot.
I cannot wear- cannot even lace them up- my 42 Guard BC without a very thick insole.

For reference, I have medium-width, small-volume feet.

I can make the 43 Alaska fit me with a thicker insole than what I have in my 42 Alaska.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

YooperXC

Post by YooperXC » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:55 am

Thanks for the input. I ordered the Alaska from Varuste for $225 delivered, hard to pass up at that price. BTW the Fischer BCX 5 that I have is a very nice boot that is very warm and provides good support for all my skiing needs, too bad the size 42 was too small. It will be interesting to compare the Alaska vs the Fischer boots.