Mounting FT62X and MR48S with Xplore

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Theme
Ski style: Nordic BCX
Favorite Skis: Still searching
Favorite boots: Alfa Outback 2.0
Occupation: Hiker trash, gear junkie, ski bum and anything inbetween

Mounting FT62X and MR48S with Xplore

Post by Theme » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:39 am

Hey,

Just a quick question - I have almost zero experience on mounting downhill-oriented skis, so please help a fellow out:

In which location should I mount the Rottefella Xplore bindings on the Åsnes Falketind 62 Xplore? I happen to have the 188s for 182cm/70kg. What is the consensus on this?

How about the Mountain Race 48 skin? I have read it skis long (definitely also looks like it), and a forward mount can be better. I did size the ski up to 210cm (mostly touring with a backpack) for better glide and flotation. A more forward mount anyway probably enhances the grip of the skin, so a longer ski felt intuitive. I squish both evenly weighed. Possibly would choose the 200 of the green wax version, which I may end up getting too if skin is not fast enough and I can bring myself to apply grip wax. But, how much ahead of the balance point should I move the binding?

Just wanted to make sure I don't mess up :) there is still some time left before I can ski these, snow is late for this season in my location

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: Mounting FT62X and MR48S with Xplore

Post by Stephen » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:41 pm

You might get some suggestions for moving the binding from the traditional balance point position, but that would be to favor one performance metric over others, rather than accepting a good balance of performance in most conditions.
I tend to favor longer skis and to my way of thinking, I still want to stay “centered” on the ski.
There has been talk of adjuster plates of some type, to be able to shift the binding position, but I’m not aware of anything that is generally available.

Just my 2¢, maybe others have better information…

I hope you’ll report on the MR48 Skin, as well as the FTX, when you get a chance to ski them.

beeeweee

Post by beeeweee » Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:03 pm

“Skiing long” on the MR48 Skin is all relative to what you’re comparing against.

The MR48 Skin is basically a wider touring style traditional XC ski with a 3/4 metal edge. It tracks like a touring ski so it’s not what I would use for turns but it works well in the tracks and can handle icy conditions. If you compare it against other traditional XC skis, then it skis ‘normal’ for its length. If you compare it to a rockered ski like the FT62, then it will of course feel long.

I have NNN MOVE bindings mounted on my MR48 Skin and it is nice to be able to move it forward and backwards to dial in the grip for your load, terrain, and conditions. It works fine for most easy terrain on NNN binding and stiff carbon soled classic boots but if you’re going to traverse across a lot of icy off camber terrain, NNN bindings will be the weak point here as there’s a bit too much flex from the binding plate. That said, the MR48 is still more torsionally stiffer than the M50 with the same NNN binding setup.

Personally, I see the MR48 as a beefy all condition track ski rather than a light BC/XCD touring ski but if you need to do long approaches in set tracks, it’s probably the best option. If you are not going to do long approaches in set tracks and you want non-adjustable Xplore bindings, I would consider the waxable version of the Gamme or the MR 48 so you can dial in your grip, either with kick wax or trimming the X-Skin to your liking.

Theme

Post by Theme » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:01 pm

beeeweee wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:03 pm
“Skiing long” on the MR48 Skin is all relative to what you’re comparing against.

The MR48 Skin is basically a wider touring style traditional XC ski with a 3/4 metal edge. It tracks like a touring ski so it’s not what I would use for turns but it works well in the tracks and can handle icy conditions. If you compare it against other traditional XC skis, then it skis ‘normal’ for its length. If you compare it to a rockered ski like the FT62, then it will of course feel long.

I have NNN MOVE bindings mounted on my MR48 Skin and it is nice to be able to move it forward and backwards to dial in the grip for your load, terrain, and conditions. It works fine for most easy terrain on NNN binding and stiff carbon soled classic boots but if you’re going to traverse across a lot of icy off camber terrain, NNN bindings will be the weak point here as there’s a bit too much flex from the binding plate. That said, the MR48 is still more torsionally stiffer than the M50 with the same NNN binding setup.

Personally, I see the MR48 as a beefy all condition track ski rather than a light BC/XCD touring ski but if you need to do long approaches in set tracks, it’s probably the best option. If you are not going to do long approaches in set tracks and you want non-adjustable Xplore bindings, I would consider the waxable version of the Gamme or the MR 48 so you can dial in your grip, either with kick wax or trimming the X-Skin to your liking.
Great remarks! Feel free to jump down to my actual question, I just felt like pondering my choices a bit more in depth, now that you mentioned it.

Maybe I should have specified, that it seems the MR48S, to me, seems it is a bit long in the front. I have no track skiing experience from past years, so I am mostly comparing to other "light/narrow" nordic touring skis, such as Amundsen, Ousland, Glittertind, Panorama M55 etc in similar lengths, though a step shorter in each. With the FT62X I am taking a leap of faith into downhill, it having been characterised as borderline touring capable felt like a reasonable place to start from my background.

Why I got the MR48S is that I wanted a better tracking, truly track compatible (well, not in curves probably) ski for very long, 1000km+ ski tours in Scandinavia. Planning to do Norge på Langs in the coming years, basically ski Norway south to north. Having done similar, though not as long, trips with "true" tourers it always bugged me I cannot take advantage of the generous track options along the way, especially if weather up the mountains was tough some days. So, more efficient lower alternates, more efficient approaches to resupply towns, more efficient skiing on ski trails and snowmobile tracks. In springtime I can imagine the skin to be a true hero on frozen snowmobile tracks over wax. But then of course good skiing on windpacked snow off track. I have felt a bit limited by the "regular" nordic touring skis not fitting it tracks and being a bit heavy, hence I am getting lighter poles, bindings, boots and skis - yet maintaining a good balance for backcountry travel with a good binding/boot control over track boots and bindings. I just hope the Alpina Pioneer Pro ships soon, seems there are some delays. I have the Alaska XP to play around with until that day comes.

I would imagine I would be fine 70% of the ascents with just the integrated skins, where the rest may require me to slap on additional X-skins. Why I wanted to try the skin version, is I am a lazy boy. Conditions also vary so much during the days at different altitudes and such, that I do not want to constantly be adjusting my grip wax for the conditions, or be slowed down by the x-skins when I do not have to be. I generally only stop for an effective break twice a day, lunch and camp, unless nature calls.

I hope the skis fulfill this purpose. Another option would have been the new Madshus Panorama T50, an updated model of the earlier M50 (Panorama, not Fjelltech). Very light, even lighter than MR48, but these would also be wax skis and the skin attachment is not as easy as on Åsnes skis. Huge difference in weight, but sadly no reformed skin attachment. The recessed front piece is truly amazing to ski compared to Åsnes plastic brake, especially on hard snow and skis with NR. As the ability to use kicker skins is a must on a long backcountry tour, hence really only had these two (well, three with the wax MR48) options in this weight/width category. But I recognize I would have a higher tolerance of suffering before getting myself to connect the skins on Madshus' system. Also have not received replies to my questions about the build of this new version compared to past ones from Madshus.

I do agree, that with grip wax I really would not need to be worrying about the placement of my bindings that much. I am not really using the ski to make turns, rather survive the downhills as part of touring. With true nordic touring skis I can make turns with NNNBC, so I would imagine the Xplore helps me a bit in this regard with the skinnies. I am just wondering how horrendous the MR48S is going to be to turn, especially as I got the longest of it. 1 or 2 cm ahead of BP might allow for a wider range of ascents, and a bit easier turning downhill. But what I wonder is, if the skin will then start braking me down too much. I do have the longer skis to possibly accommodate this, though. Would love to hear opinions.

I will probably get Gammes at some point too to test them out - I got my Ouslands 10cm too short, so might replace them with Gamme in the same class, although a noticeably heavier ski. To me, Ousland skis a bit short due to the nordic rocker, and so regardless of weight, not as efficient for touring in ideal conditions. I mean, Ousland has its own ideal conditions. Gammes have been hyped up as the one ski does it all. Thing is, I mainly use this class of skis for pulling a pulk, day tours, and skiing on spring snow on occasional multi-day tours. Basically what a MR48 might be able to handle.

I have never liked spring snow for downhill, ever, not even alpine skiing.
Maybe it would have been wiser to go with Ingstad over the FTX for more turns, but to also accommodate multi-day touring in windpacked winter snow where the choice between a narrower touring ski vs a forest ski almost always leans more towards the longer planks for certainty. But to me somehow it felt a bit unnecessary at this point, to consider a non-ideal trailbreaking ski when I have absolute monsters for that, hence I ended up favoring the downhill capabilities but as a bonus still wish these can handle a tour here and there. And not ideal skis for spring/crust, so that does not bother me.

Well, this became a long wall of text. I guess I may just need to wait until I get to ski these skis and then report back, how horribly wrong or correct my choices were :D

What is your experience with the ability to move your bindings? Where do you usually find yourself, in what kind of conditions? How noticeable is the difference, really?

Stephen
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)

Post by Stephen » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:15 pm

Maybe you have already considered this, but mount further forward may make kick turns a little more challenging. But I get the impression you don’t do a lot of those.
Also, the little I skied those, I was impressed with how easily the flexible tips followed the contours of the trail. Unlike the Gammes that are quite willing to ride straight out of any wiggle in the track.

Theme

Post by Theme » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:09 pm

Stephen wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:15 pm
Maybe you have already considered this, but mount further forward may make kick turns a little more challenging. But I get the impression you don’t do a lot of those.
Also, the little I skied those, I was impressed with how easily the flexible tips followed the contours of the trail. Unlike the Gammes that are quite willing to ride straight out of any wiggle in the track.
This is true, thanks for pointing it out, have not really been thinking og it too much. I mean I do many kick turns with skis of 250cm+ length regularly in deep snow, in tight trees and short-ish, steep descents where sidestepping would be too slow. Up to 210, with a backpack on, I usually just jump the turn or step into it. Usually no need to kick turn in this ski class and where it is best used. But that 1-2cm added would probably not affect me the slightest. However, it may help steering in some particular scenarios, just enough to make a difference.

Pretty much only when a snowmobile track runs down too steep to snowplow and there is a curve and trees blocking the view ahead, will I step off the track and kick turn in the deep soft snow, where a 210 skinny sinks too much to make any other effective turns. Just to be safe - I can recall quite a few occasions from my conscription where we had 10-20 guys crash into each other in an instance such as this. Only takes one to trip them all! Happened more often than you would think - 230cm skis with non-ideal boots and bindings, no metal edges is a chore to snowplow even a bit, in a snowmobile track impossible as the track is not wide enough. Usually the second, third and fourth to trip were fine, others could expect being skied on. I guess we found one of the reasons not to have metal edges in this use case

Thanks for the insights, though! I'll also get to the PM soon too, been on the road for a while and just got back home

Main line is, I am trying to speculate on the sweet spot for me and my uses. I guess really the only way to find out is to try something. And it is not like this is about any world changing difference here - just seeing if someone has any notes on what more to take into account

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:20 pm

I would hope some of the usual suspects, like @lilcliffy @Woodserson maybe @fisheater @bgregoire @Johnny , etc might have some thoughts on your question?

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:40 pm

It depends on your boots, your terrain, your feet length, your ski length, the amount of rocker on your ski, your body, your technique, your style and your taste.

Start with pins at BP. Drill only two holes for the back screws. Then have fun and experiment. Then remount using the holes for the screws in the front to give you an idea of the difference (Skiing VERY carefully of course...) Then drill a million more holes until completely satisfied. DO use the 4 holes when you find your sweet spot. Never trust people's or expert's advice. Your skiing is unique and you need to find your favorite mounting spot for each ski by yourself.

Worst case scenario, you will break your swiss-cheese skis in the spring moguls under the sun like a gold medal recipient and a crowd of young girls will applaud your heroic descent using XC skis in a double black diamond run . Then drill a brand new pair at your favorite mounting point. Repeat for all your 100 pairs of skis.
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:16 pm

Do we have the official instructions from Asnes on mounting either of these skis?

I would expect Asnes to say "balance point"- but would want to start with their instructions.

Other than my purely utilitarian Altai Hoks (i.e farm chores/hunting/foresty fieldwork)- I don't use any skis with permanent integrated skins.

If I was to use a Nordic touring ski with an integrated skin- I would definitely mount the Rotte Move binding.

I would think the FTX should be mounted at balance point- unless Asnes has a different recommendation?
Last edited by lilcliffy on Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:48 pm

I have my Asnes Falketind Xplore 196 cm mounted at balance point and I am pleased with both kick and glide as downhill turning performance. I weigh 190 + and usually carry a small pack.
YMMV

I mounted this ski Rottefella Super Telemark with cable. I typically ski it with an Alaska 75. However I could also use an Alico Ski March boot.