Cheap resort/hardpack setup.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Cheap resort/hardpack setup.

Post by Johnny » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:52 am

Try to mount your HH on a ski with some sidecut if you will use them mostly on hardpack... You can have a lot of fun with your HH and SynerGs even if you're skiing old planks, just try to find a pair with a short radius...

What's your 3p XC quiver? The Alaskas are really fun on the frontside...! 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:15 pm

LoveJohnny wrote:What's your 3p XC quiver? The Alaskas are really fun on the frontside...! 8-)
Only interested in my 3p quiver? That's a shame, I had assumed CIMA managed to get you more psyched about NNN BC. :)

Leaving aside my pure XC classic and skate skis and the pretty woodies, from less wide to widest:

-Fischer Country Crown 200cm w/NNN BC
-Asnes Admundsen 201cm wax 67mm at the shovel i think, like E99 but stiffer camber (binding to be determined, a true beauty)
-Fischer E99 Xtralite Crown 200cm w/ NNN BC (looking to swap for a E109)
-HEAD T 200cm sweet wide wooden skis, hardly no sidecut, w/lignostone edge & NNN BC
-Karhu 10th Mountain Tour (Wax) 188cm 84-68-77 or so w/voile 3pc (older model, single camber, relatively stiff, great bushwacking in pow and teleing as well)
-Salomon XADV 89 180cm w/voile 3pc (looking to swap this one)
-MADSHUS Annum 175cm w/voile 3pc (got this for my girlfriend but get to use it too!)
-Rossignol NEPAL telemark 193mm w/ Riva IIs
-G3 Reverend w/HHs (looking to swap with a pair of voile switchbacks)

Wish list:
Madshus Epoch or Fischer Sbound 98 (185cm or so)
Atomic Mountain BC, Fischer E89 or Karhu GT XCD (the thinnest of versions, at 59mm at the shovel or so)
A nice basic hardpack resort tele ski to go with my HHs

I've got something like 12 pairs of boots, having fun playing around with them, a few that i would be willing to part with though.
Last edited by bgregoire on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:28 pm

Holy smokes Ben, that's an awesome quiver!

What do you want for your E99 Xtralites? I don't have anything to swap except maybe a E99 BCX Crown 190cm with HD Voile 3p (maybe work for the GF?).

I might, might, might part with the 185cm Epochs we have but I need to get some feeback from the wife first.

PS Are these not the thinnest XCD-GT?

http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=355

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:52 pm

Hey MikeK, Glad you like! Just got back from a 3 hour ski run on my fisher country crowns. Gotta say they are really fun (but wish they were waxable). Manage to do some nice parrallel turns rushing down hardpacked trails. Nice and light.

Sorry but a E99 to E99 trade just wouldn't cut it. Anyhow, I did not include my Gfriends E99 195cm with pins. That is her go to ski.

Keep me posted on the Epochs but trading over the border might be complicated!

The Karhu XCD GT might had alway been 62 at the shovel, I thought i read somewhere they had also made version that were less wide. Fischer E89 or the Atomic Mountain BC with 3/4 metal edges at 59 at the shovel shoulb be great skis for those days you want to race across hardpacked trails. We have a lot of those around here. Unfortunately, in the area I live, you need to drive out a half hour for some really nice xcD.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:56 pm

Would you accept cash instead of skis? That was actually what I meant because I didn't figure you'd be interested in the E99s I have. Perhaps that can help buy you a pair of E109s.

I'm interested in the E99s if you are looking to move them. Shoot me a number.

We could always work something out in the future for the Epochs. I'm not sure I'll have an answer to that one right away.

I'll ask Johnny about shipping - he seems to know how to do that effectively across the border.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:08 pm

MikeK wrote:Would you accept cash instead of skis? That was actually what I meant because I didn't figure you'd be interested in the E99s I have. Perhaps that can help buy you a pair of E109s.

I'm interested in the E99s if you are looking to move them. Shoot me a number.

We could always work something out in the future for the Epochs. I'm not sure I'll have an answer to that one right away.

I'll ask Johnny about shipping - he seems to know how to do that effectively across the border.
They are basically new (got them over the Xmas holidays as a guarantee return), been out like 6 days. Have to think about it cause the price would be relatively high given they are like new. Did I understood correctly that the Fischer Backcountry (E##s) aren't not distributed in the US? Its the opposite here in Canada, we got the E##s but none of the S-bounds...

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:41 pm

I've never seen them but I'm pretty sure I could order them.

I've actually never seen the S bounds in a shop either. It's pretty much Madshus or Rossi for XCD 'round here.

Let me know - I'm not lookin' to spend a ton - I figure if I can get them new on sale with bindings it will be around $280± USD.

I want a pair of NNN-BC either E99 or Glittertind - was going to get wax base but waxless is fine.

Are the bindings manuals or autos?

I think I spent about $260 USD for my Epochs with bindings. They have non cable Voile HD 3p. Only issue is that they are mounted for a small boot, so you'd probably want to remount them forward 1cm.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:38 pm

Wow, you have it nice in the US, EPOCH retail like 340$CAD and E99 370-420$CAD +Tax (15%) without bindings.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:44 pm

Yes - normal price for Epoch US is $300. I bought mine end of last season for a little over $200 with free shipping.

I don't care to pay more than $200 for a pair of skis. I got my Annums and my S bounds for about the same price. I paid $100 for my E99s and about $150? for my Glittertinds.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:48 pm

MikeK wrote:Yes - normal price for Epoch US is $300. I bought mine end of last season for a little over $200 with free shipping.

I don't care to pay more than $200 for a pair of skis. I got my Annums and my S bounds for about the same price. I paid $100 for my E99s and about $150? for my Glittertinds.
Nice, perhaps the fact that there are 10x less people in Canada makes it such that such great deals on new xcd skis are really hard to find, even at the end of a season. I'll look into it for my wish list though. Actually, the E99s are the only skis i paid full price for given they were for that 50 days ski traverse we did in scandinavia.